PDA

View Full Version : Question for you digital gurus.

xrated
12-02-2002, 08:06 PM
Alrighty...so I have a quick question if you don't mind. I am looking to get my self some custom subwoofer grilles (yes this does really belong in this section of the forum I promise). Well, I've been asking around and the nice people in sound and security tell me that if I go to a machine shop with a cnc machine, and give them a nice drawing of a grille, then they can scan it and the machine will cut it for me. Here is my problem. I can't draw for piss!! So I wanted to ask you guys a favor. If I draw a very rough design, are there some of you out there who would be willing to use photoshop or something to tweak it out and make it to scale so that I can have something trick to take to the shop. You can be creative and I promise that I will list your name as the designer of the grilles at any show or magazine coverage I ever get.

What do you say...is this doable?

Thanx for your time.

=X=

mtblazer
12-02-2002, 11:21 PM
lets see what you have in mind....

xrated
12-02-2002, 11:35 PM
Awesome! I'll get a pic scanned in like tomorrow or something. Thanx for at least taking the time to look at it.

=X=

otter
12-03-2002, 02:12 AM
I'll help you out if I can.. :)

myk

Lay Low
12-03-2002, 09:01 AM
I'm and artist and I'll Be glad to help ya, how ever you would like it, hand drawn,3d scale,cad design,or a layered photoshop design,I can hook you up.

xrated
12-03-2002, 11:04 AM
Well...hmmm...I'd kind of like to see it in some sort of 3d fashion just so that I can know what it's going to look like...but I am not really sure what format it is going to have to be in to scan into the cnc machine.

You know...I was thinking. I said that you guys could be creative... so do you just want me to tell you what I want it to look like instead of scanning in a picture of a shitty drawing? All of you "artsy" types are going to be able to visaulize what will look nice much better than I will.

=X=

P.s. By the way, I really do appreciate the help.

Lay Low
12-03-2002, 02:48 PM
xrated I'll get started on a few designs for ya,but do find out what format you will need it saved in so I'll know. It's really know big deal I can go back and change the format. I'll design you some diffferent looks to see what style you would like it in. PEACE

xrated
12-03-2002, 03:07 PM
well let me tell you sort of what I was looking at. My Blazer is going to flamed, so if you could incorporate some fire like stuff that would be awesome...put I was wondering if you could incorporate the words JT CUSTOMZ in some sort of nice font... and feel free to incorporate your name on there somewhere.

=X=

Thanx again.

Lay Low
12-03-2002, 03:23 PM
You hit the nail on the head, you must have read my mind.flames are what I do Best I'll hook up some stuff you'll really like.stay tuned,

zach
12-03-2002, 03:33 PM
If you are planning on letting a machine shop cut your
grille. You will need to supply them with a 1:1 drawing in
.DXF or .DWG format. These are standard design files.
Oh yeah be prepared to pay ouy the @$$ for a one off part.

Thanks,
Zach

xrated
12-03-2002, 11:32 PM
How much...the guys in the sound and security forum seem to think it'll only run about $40 a grille.

Lay Low
12-04-2002, 12:03 AM
I was just wondering is that the format you'll need, because only one of them looks familar to me. I can design it how you want it and also make a 3d rendering of how it should look, but whats got me a little worried now is the format and if I'll have the right one to save it in, because DXF & DWG are formats I dont use.I have tons of graphic tools/ PC & Mac, and I was just wondering is this a CADD formatt or An Industrail design format. (either way I'll draw you a design and show you what it will look like in 3d

xrated
12-04-2002, 12:15 AM
Well...I'll tell you what. Let me actually talk to someone who runs a metal shop with a cnc machine and find out ; ) I emailed some guy from Florida from a place called billet and acrylics, and I'm just waiting on him to write me back.

In the mean time, I would definitely be interested in seeing what this grille would look like in 3d. I'm really pretty excited : )

Thank you for all of your help!!

=X=

Lay Low
12-04-2002, 12:43 AM
Sounds Good, I'm almost finished with the free hand drawing I'll post it soon. I havn't started on the 3D design yet I'll let you know when I'm done, Talk Soon.

Audiodogg
12-04-2002, 04:24 AM
It shouldn't cost too much. I clean the office at a local machine shop, where they do mostly big customers, but they sometimes do small thingy. The one worker made a Peguin playing hockey out of metal for his son. They make some funny things in their spare time, and I'm sure they don't cost a lot of $$$$.

Nate

zach
12-04-2002, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by xrated
Well...I'll tell you what. Let me actually talk to someone who runs a metal shop with a cnc machine and find out ; ) I emailed some guy from Florida from a place called billet and acrylics, and I'm just waiting on him to write me back.

In the mean time, I would definitely be interested in seeing what this grille would look like in 3d. I'm really pretty excited : )

Thank you for all of your help!!

=X=

I am a Engineer for a small machine shop in Huntsville AL.
Before I became a Engineer I was a Machinist.
You will need to provide the shop with an AutoCad .DXF
(design exchange file) or an AutoCad .DWG (drawing file).
They will then program the machine toolpath from the .dxf or
.dwg file using a CAM (computer aided machining) software.
The software will produce G code for the machine to run on.
The reason I say that a one off part will cost you out the @$$
is because you will be paying by the hour for someone to program, setup, and run just a couple of parts. Most shop rates
around here is between 60$ and 80$ an hour. Depending on
how complex the design is you may pay as much as 80$ a piece
(material included) or as little as 40$ a piece.

Send me the design file and let me quote it I will be as fair as
anyone else.

Thanks,
Zach

Lay Low
12-04-2002, 03:24 PM
Zach thanks thats what I needed to know, I got the freehand drawing done I'll post it tonight. And what I 'll do is make him a good CAD graph design with all the point and specs, I just want to design something he can get cut and have it look cool.

xrated
12-04-2002, 05:37 PM
Firstly Zach thank you so much for all of the information. Do you still do any machining? Because if you do, I'd rather pay the money to a fellow Blazinlow member than to some guy at a shop I don't know. I emailed a guy a billet and acrylic and he said it should be less that $100 for the pair.

Lay Low, I can't tell you how excited I am! I really appreciate you taking the time to help me with this. I promise that when I get the grilles made I will certainly give you credit for the design.

Thanx to everyone again, and I am really look forward to the design.

=X=

xrated
12-04-2002, 07:18 PM
Yeah audiodogg I hear ya. I wish that I knew someone that owned or worked at a machine shop....I'd have the inside of my blazer all tricked out. Don't suppose any of you do : ) ? I'm sure there is a huge mark up on this stuff though.

BY THE WAY...for Lay Low and anyone else interested. The guy at Billet and Acrylic sent me this.

what I'd really like is a
print (sketch) of what you want.
Tell him I generally do all of my programs on the control rather than in a
CADCAM application.
If he is doing the design for you it will be easy for him to provide a print
in Autocad.

I'm not sure what most of that means...but I'm sure you guys do. I'm not going with this guy for sure by the way...In fact I'll probably go with someone else if I can find them cheaper or closer... or one of you because like I said...I'd rather pay one of you that someone I don't know.

Anyway, thanx again.

=X=

Audiodogg
12-04-2002, 08:04 PM
The guys at the shop I clean, they just draw up all their designs and then put them into the machine, and cut them out. Maybe it's just easier I don't know, but I see their draws all over the place, and that seems to be what they use...as long as they have it all measured out right.

The guys at the local shop are pretty cool. The one guy lifts his car up with the large forklift to change/rotate his tires..lol

Nate

EpicenterDesigns
12-04-2002, 08:30 PM
hey if i can pipe in here, if someone could design something like the flamed grills by Audiobahn into a 6x9 design, i will be your best friend:) i have 4 of the Audiobahn grills and need 4 6x9 grills to make everything flow. Can it be designed? can zach cut them out? should they be polished or plexi? i'm willing to compensate!!!

zach
12-05-2002, 08:00 AM
Hey X,
I do some machining on the side just send me what you
got and we will go from there. Don't fret if I don't respond
this weekend I will be out of town 12-6 - 12-12. But I will
get back with you ASAP.

dbornotdb
Sounds like something we might be able to do.
E-mail me or pm me.

Thanks
Zach

Lay Low
12-05-2002, 07:07 PM
xrated I'll get the freehand design up soon, I was thinking it was more like Audiodogg was saying, You draw the design and enter it in. I never done any Machining but I can design my ass off so I have no idea what it takes, but I can do it in any design you need CAD or what ever. When
I Get IT done what I could do is e-mail you with a bigger design of it that you can print it out and change mesurements or do what you need to get it done. PEACE

xrated
12-05-2002, 07:19 PM
That's cool man...I'm just anxious to see the hand drawn design. If Zach can do it at a fiar price, I guess I'll just have him do it so I guess we should see what kind of form he needs it in.

=X=

xrated
12-05-2002, 07:21 PM
By the way Lay Low...take your time. Don't feel like you have to rush or anything.

=X=

zach
12-05-2002, 07:28 PM
Shoot me a .DXF over and I'll take a look at it.
Thanks,
Zach

Lay Low
12-06-2002, 01:26 AM
Ok!! thanks xrated, and ZACH do you need the mersurements on the DXF becuse I was just going to let xrated give them because I dont know them, but if you just need it in the design form I'll get it to YA THANKS

xrated
12-07-2002, 12:07 PM
heh...umm...I'm not exactly sure what those measurements would be : ) When I get my subs it I can give you any measurements you will need. Just let me know.

How's the design comming? Are you going to incorporate the JT CUSTOMZ name on there?

Thankx again.

=X=

Lay Low
12-08-2002, 02:20 AM
Comeing along good its all there let me resive it and i'll post the freehand steps

xrated
12-08-2002, 08:32 PM
Awesome...I am anxious! : )

=X=

Lay Low
12-09-2002, 06:13 AM
Here is what I have done so far

Lay Low
12-09-2002, 06:19 AM
I have two more shots that show the weld for the speaker brackets and also the freehand I'll have to post tomorrow:bigthumb:

EpicenterDesigns
12-09-2002, 12:37 PM
that looks tight. nice work.

xrated
12-09-2002, 12:48 PM
Yeah that's awsome. I have to say...I didn't expect something so... evil : ) Does the design extend beyond the rim of the grille?

=Justin=

xrated
12-09-2002, 12:51 PM
By the way, is there anyway to tack a Z on the end of CUSTOM(Z)?

=X=

xrated
12-09-2002, 01:55 PM
Actually...don't worry about doing that yet...first, does the design extend beyond the rim of the grille?

xrated
12-09-2002, 01:56 PM
By the way, it looks really awesome. Thank you very much for all of your time.

=X=

Lay Low
12-09-2002, 06:13 PM
Thanks Guys, and xrated the name plate does come down around the base of the grill. but if you need I can design it more into the design itself.This one dosnt show the speaker grills, the other pics I have gives you a better look at how the brackets well be weled. I want to get those other pics up for ya but this dam thing will only let me post one a day,Oh! if you can hit me with some measurements and I'll hit Zach with the full DXF CAD design so He can hook you up.
THANKS AGAIN glade you like it
need any changes let me know

mmdߣzr
12-09-2002, 06:23 PM
laylow www.boomspeed.com they host pictures for you so you can use the img thing an its free an they have a pretty big storage space they give you :bigthumb:

xrated
12-09-2002, 07:03 PM
Alright. My speakers came in the mail TODAY so I should be able to get some measurements out soon. I am still a llittle confused about the dimensions though. What I really need is for all of the design to fall within the speaker...like between the rim of the woofer...where the screws go (sorry don't know the actual dimensions. Basically it looks like the flamed head goes beyond and the logo goes beyond the actual speaker. I think that the other pictures will help alot.

Oh, and are you going to be able to add a Z onto the end of the logo CUSTOMZ? Or is that going to be to big of a deal?

Just curious, and everything looks great. Thanks for everything.

=Justin=

Lay Low
12-09-2002, 10:04 PM
LowNSlow Thanks Man! Yeah xrated the other pic well help alot,so you can see where everthing hits I'll gett it up soon and then we can make the needed Changes to get everything right. I'm going to boomspeed.com now

mmdߣzr
12-09-2002, 10:19 PM
no prob :bigthumb:

Lay Low
12-09-2002, 10:44 PM
Ok I went to boomspeed and signed up but they havnt sent an validation code to my e-mail yet it said 30min, but its been longer, I even went back and tried to recover it but, Nouthing any other options

xrated
12-09-2002, 11:02 PM
Hmmm that sux. By the way, this flaming head guy is really growing on me. : ) I may have to have you design me a few more things...of course, I'll pay you : )

Anyway...hope that validation code works for ya.

=X=

Lay Low
12-10-2002, 04:06 AM
I got my code and now you can check out the pics, I'm still tring to figure out some of the boomspeed stuff but at least you can see what the pics look like ,JUST KEEP IN MIND We can change what we need to. I 'll be glade to help you with any design ideas, thats what I do I'm an airbrush artist & graphic designer and I'll be glad to help out I dont charge much.http://www.boomspeed.com/earlsl check out your two pics and some of my other stuff here:bigthumb:

Boink
12-10-2002, 12:37 PM
LAY LOW just leave man. NOONE WANTS YOUR FAKE ASS IN HERE. JUST LIKE YOUR WIFES ESCLADE WAS ALL OVER THE INTERNET AND ALL THAT. JUST GET OUTTA HERE MAN. NOONE LIKES A FAKER.

xrated
12-10-2002, 01:38 PM
Uh....what?

=X=

otter
12-10-2002, 01:50 PM
long story... :nono:

myk

mmdߣzr
12-10-2002, 01:50 PM
LAY LOW just leave man. NOONE WANTS YOUR FAKE ASS IN HERE. JUST LIKE YOUR WIFES ESCLADE WAS ALL OVER THE INTERNET AND ALL THAT. JUST GET OUTTA HERE MAN. NOONE LIKES A FAKER.

dude what tha crap man shut your lil prick ass up he aint hurtin no body, go have gay sex with some dudes or somethin he helpin that dude you maybe he liyed maybe he didnt you dont know that i dont see how he is hurting anyone by helpin this dude out with his speaker grill thing? so go back to your ass fuckin an shut your mouth.

Lay Low
12-10-2002, 02:00 PM
lIKE OUTTER SAID lONG STORY bUT DONT' WORRY I'M here to stay and to help who every wants it PEACE

Boink
12-10-2002, 02:20 PM
Dude you shot your holes. I have no respect for anyone thats lies their ass off and has the nerve to come back here and act like everyones going to repsect him again. i'm sorry i cant. i cant respect any person like this. Lay low trys being cute about it by staying in the digital dreams forum. So, noone bitches but hes worthless. By the way lay low that picture you put up the kid. looks like tottal shit man. those flames look like fat fingers. LowandSlow you ougtha just shut up now, because your a worthless pile. ALL I have seen you do lately is trash talk. grow up man. yeah he may be trying to help that kid, but you need to stick a plug in your ass. Hes helping that kid, but if that got CNC cut. that kid is going to realize wow. thats terrifying and a waste of $. Anyways lay low. if you going to come to this forum and not make up bullshit stories anymore. post in the other forums. i'm not ever going to respect you. you already made a impression on me, but if post in the other forums and threads here. i wont bother you as long as your helpful.

mmdߣzr
12-10-2002, 02:26 PM
LowandSlow you ougtha just shut up now, because your a worthless pile. ALL I have seen you do lately is trash talk

trash talk what have i done that was trash talk fuckin ass munch you grow up man. nobody cares about you an who you respect so take your dildo an shove it

Boink
12-10-2002, 02:31 PM
lownslow if you make english out of that maybe the readers can read that, but i cant tell weather you saying you take a dildo and use it or trying to insult someone else(seriously no joke)

Lay Low
12-10-2002, 03:17 PM
I ask for no respect I give no respect. but I do respect the fact you added your opinion and thats cool,But why would xrated think the design was terrifying and a waste of time when he has already aproved of it. All we need to do is redesign a few things and get the measurements to make this work.As I said before no respect intended but do keep in mind it's post like yours that keeps me here. Anyone can type a few lines a Knock how they feel about someone,but you cant knock my SKILLS because they do pay the bills . I dont intend this to sound Big or Bad, because everything is cool here but your opinion does stand as is RESPECT

Until We Cross Again
LAY LOW

I respect your opinion Thanks

xrated
12-10-2002, 05:49 PM
Hmmm...this forum turned interesting. Uh...ok...first and foremost... who am I "this kid?" Oh well... anyway, here's the deal... I don't know this story... so I can't really judge anyone by it. Umm...so I am just going to pretend it never happened. If some one wants to enlighten me...that would be great...but hey if not...that's cool too I guess.

Anyway, here's the bottom line I figure... I made this post asking for help...and he is the only one that helped me. I don't the design is bad... and I don't have anyway of telling what it would like like as a CNC cut out. I would like to see a 3dish picture if possible...but first I think we should take about a few little changes. Maybe we should do it via email or pm or something.

I really would like to hear the story though. If he just lied about his wifes Escalade...I don't really care... I mean all I am asking him to do is help me with my grilles...I don't see how the two relate. But if for some reason you all think that I am now in danger or something...I think the courteous thing to do would be to tell me why? I've seen pics of his truck...and it looks nice...and the grille looks nice on paper...so I don't really see a problem right now.

Anyway, I am really sorry that this forum turned into this.

=X=

otter
12-10-2002, 05:58 PM
xrated

It wasn't your fault that the thread turned out this way. And I'm working on a speaker grille, I think that there are better possibilities out there. You should be able to see different designs, not a variation on the same old thing. It just takes longer because I'm trying to 3-d render the picture.

The long story short is, his trucks, his wife's trucks, and the other pictures, weren't really his. Or to the best of anybodies knowledge, they weren't his. So a lot of people lost respect because he was making hollow claims.

That's public knowledge on the forum.

myk

xrated
12-10-2002, 06:25 PM
Ok...well I don't think that his design is bad at all. I'm curious to see anyone elses if or when they get them finished. Just ry not to yell at anyone for the remainder of this thread : )

=X=

otter
12-10-2002, 06:27 PM
I havn't yelled at anybody. Actually, this is like my third post in this thread. :D

myk

xrated
12-10-2002, 06:31 PM
Oh...my bad...well...nobody yell at anyone : )

hahaha
=X=

Lay Low
12-10-2002, 08:07 PM
Dude like otter said it's not your falt, and I'll continue helping you if you need it. I'm also looking forward to the other designs.LowNslow did you get your design just let me know what you think

mmdߣzr
12-10-2002, 08:15 PM
yea i got it turned out good, the ppl decided they wanted to add La infront of it cause there might be a club around here already with that name. so . . . no big deal it turned out sweet thanks again :bigthumb:

Lay Low
12-10-2002, 08:28 PM
No Prob, Anytime

Boink
12-11-2002, 12:32 AM
just wanted to make sure things were settled. although i dont think that graphic you made for him looks all that good. the skull itself looks good. the flames need work. i'm glad we have a agreement though. thats all i wanted. i'll leave some respect towards you. otherwise if i had no respect i wouldnt be typing this. :) anyways, xrated i was just using it for a example i'm sorry if "this kid" was offending. too many high school kids call you "this kid" in school? that name get you fustrated? jesus it was a fucking example. anyways i'm out.

Lay Low
12-11-2002, 01:18 AM
Everythings cool, I wasn't bent outa shape or upset. It's like I said before I respect your opinion, you said what you felt and so did I.

xrated
12-11-2002, 09:51 AM
I've never been offended in my life...probably never will. People on here get all crazy for no reason : ) just kiding.

=X=

zach
12-13-2002, 08:30 AM
Whats up?

I'm back in town now so send me what you got.
Here is some samples of flames I have machined before.
The jpeg is kinda blurry because when I convert a CAD file
to Jpeg it distorts it. But any way you can get an idea.

Thanks,
Zach

EpicenterDesigns
12-13-2002, 08:51 AM
zach....the 3rd one down in those pics, that is what i would like for a 6x9 grill. i would like the flame design cut out of the middle. did that make sense?

zach
12-13-2002, 09:41 AM
I got ya,

If I have time today I will draw up one and build one out of
lexan for a sample.

Zach

zach
12-13-2002, 04:33 PM
Hey DB,

I didn't have tome to do it today but I will
PM you the design for the grille.

Thanks,
Zach

EpicenterDesigns
12-13-2002, 05:08 PM
thats cool man. when you have time. anything will be better than the hole i have now.

if this helps you...take a 6x9 grill make it that wide with a border of 1/2"-3/4" and then have that flame design cut out of the middle. something like that to start with, to get the idea of it.

i don't want to be asking to much. thanks for the help.

xrated
12-13-2002, 06:08 PM
Hey Lay Low, I have something drawn (if you could call it that). I am sorry I haven't sent it to you yet...tonight or tomorrow I promise.

=x=

Lay Low
12-13-2002, 10:04 PM
YEAH, Xrated I WAS Looking for it . Just when you get done no rush

phat blaze
12-26-2002, 10:24 PM
i need some help getting attachments on to here

otter
12-26-2002, 10:32 PM
What do you need?

phat blaze
12-26-2002, 10:46 PM
i dont kno how to post pics from the reply box

otter
12-26-2002, 10:58 PM
When you click on Submit Reply, it will take you to a screen that has a few options.

The lower options are labeled.

Options:
Attach file:
Rate this Thread:

On the right side of Attach file: will be a box and a button entitled browse. Click on the Browse button, find the file you want to upload, and then click to open. It will post the path to the file, and then just click the button entitled Submit Reply. It should post it. :)

Hope that helps.

But remember, you can only post 1 picture every 24 hours to conserve server space. That is unless you've made a donation to support the site. :)

myk

phat blaze
12-26-2002, 11:03 PM
ok here is my attempt at some 6x9 grills that look like audiobahns

phat blaze
12-26-2002, 11:07 PM
ok this is actually them :D

thanks alot man

tell me what u think of these

EpicenterDesigns
01-02-2003, 03:05 PM
ZACH if PHAT BLAZE doesn't mind, his design would match the rest of my grills perfectly.

could you machine that in lexan for a trial fit and then maybe out of something polished or chrome?

phat blaze
01-02-2003, 03:35 PM
hey man thats what i made if for :D

zach
01-02-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by dbornotdb
ZACH if PHAT BLAZE doesn't mind, his design would match the rest of my grills perfectly.

could you machine that in lexan for a trial fit and then maybe out of something polished or chrome?

Yes,
But I will have to lay the image out in Autocad to do so.
I will post a drawing asap.

Thanks,
Zach

EpicenterDesigns
01-02-2003, 04:19 PM
all it needs to be is a flat peice that is thick enough to resist vibrating like a peice of tin. it won't have to be raised and concaved like an acual grill. follow that? thanx.