PDA

View Full Version : Catalytic Converter

xtremejimmy
03-06-2002, 07:18 PM
Hey, I want to take my catalytic converter off so I can check if it is clogged but before I do so, I wanted to know if it has gaskets that I will have to replace when I put it back on? Thanks

ZZ4Blazer
03-06-2002, 07:31 PM
I don't know shit about cats, havent' had one on any of my trucks since I started driving. If it is just clamped together inline with the pipe, then there should be one. If its bolted up with a flange on each side, there probably will be. I've had clogged up exhuast on old dirt bikes, we always just burned them in a fire for a while, burns all the old carbon and junk out. Just a thought. Might ruin a cat though. If you don't have emissions, ditch that bitch.

BEDAN77
03-07-2002, 10:23 AM
Up north here in Canada we have emissions laws and testing, my truck was just tested, and it passed well. and now im thinking of taking out my catalytic converters, i have 2(tru dual exhaust). will i get more performance or HP from truck???
is there any other cheap performance mods for an LT1 that i can do??

blueskyjack
03-07-2002, 01:10 PM
right up with no gaskets. there is a U clamp in the front and the cat slides over the exhaust pipes. I'm about to replace mine this weekend.