PDA

View Full Version : Performance Chip

Creole
04-07-2002, 11:25 PM
I'm thinking about getting a performance chip for my 89' Jimmy, so I located the computer under the passenger side and popped it open. I didn't see where I would take the existing chip out and replace it. The only thing that looked removable was two little black squares, looks like computer memory. Does anyone know how to do this?

sCoTe918
04-08-2002, 03:59 PM
When i had my chip replaced the stock chip looked like a black rectangle. i dont remember which chip it was but u might wanna see if the performance chip fits w/ only 1 stock chip.

Ice_Breaker
04-19-2002, 11:01 PM
Your computer should look like a thin silver box. On the box there should be a long plate w/ two screws holding it on. Unscrew those screws and take the plate off, you will see a rectangular black chip (this is your stock chip), take it out and replace it w/ the proformance chip. Make sure that you dont bend any of the pins when you put the new one in, and also make sure it is in there snug. Now with the computer still hanging, start up your truck and see if the "Service Engine Soon" light comes on or flashes, if it dosent then shut the truck off and put the computer back to were it belongs. If it does flash then shut the truck off and make sure you didnt bend any of thos pins on the chip when you put it in, also make sure you installed it in the correct direction. Now fix the problem by installing it correctly or bending the pin back to the proper position and start her up again. It should work. Put the computer back and your done. Good Luck

Creole
04-20-2002, 01:25 PM
so it pops right off then?

Ice_Breaker
04-20-2002, 05:36 PM
yep

Ice_Breaker
04-20-2002, 05:40 PM
By the way, disconnect your battery before you do any thing with your computer.....

91blazin2last
04-20-2002, 11:10 PM
i didnt even know our cars had computers what would getting a new on do?