PDA

View Full Version : Engine mounts

dBs4me
04-22-2002, 06:03 PM
I have a '98 with the HO v-6, 2wd, 4dr. Found out one of my engine mounts have broke. I can replace it no problem, but wondering if there are any after market upgrade ones out there? Otherwise I am going to have to add a torque strap or something.

argve
04-28-2002, 05:01 PM
I have not heard of any performance motor mounts. If you are looking at adding a strap, I must ask how much power are you creating? I have built engines in other vehicles that produced in excess of 325 hp and 415 torque that the stock motor mounts held. I know that the motor mounts on those were not that much bigger.

dBs4me
04-29-2002, 10:49 AM
So what do you think the cause of the motor mount failure was? Do you think it was just a bad mount from the factory? The dealership ended up replacing all the engine and transmission mounts. I realize that if one goes, the rest pick up the slack and fatigue quicker, but I only have 67K on the truck. And I don't trailer often.

argve
04-30-2002, 08:26 AM
So I assume that it's all stock then, if that is the case then I would say bad mount. If you are the type that burns tires or is hard off the line it will shorten their life also. But seeing how you say it failed at around 60k then I would say bad mount from the factory.

dBs4me
04-30-2002, 04:04 PM
Well, does jumping the truck, drag racing and power braking/smoking the tires count as hard on engine mounts? Yah, I figured. At least now I have a dedicated off road vehicle to do the jumping with instead of my Blazer. Thanks for the information.