PDA

View Full Version : Turn downs on a 2.8

timamin
05-31-2002, 05:57 PM
hey can you do a turn down on a jimmy? I have been told the exaust has to exit out the back or the sides if passagers can be seated in the back or some bs lol. I am looking for a better flowing exaust for when I put my Turbo on it. I was thinking a dynomax muffler and a turn down. what do you guys think? will it have the buzzy import sound? or just a louder 6.

el guapo
06-01-2002, 10:49 AM
if you put the turndowns on your truck, you're gonna notice a horrible exhaust smell in your cabin, especially while idling. i don't know about that muffler, but i would go with a flowmaster 40-series - that'll give you the low tone (not the import buzz) you want. the dual outlet is a lot louder than the single outlet. this muffler has tended to annoy some peeps because of it's cabin resonance, however.

where i am, in delaware, it is state law that the pipes must exit at the rear of the vehicle. better check with local laws before you go thru inspection with turndowns. also, it is EXTREMELY difficult to route duals on your truck - depends how good your muffler shop is...

8mpg
06-01-2002, 03:52 PM
Its not THAT hard to exit them out the back.

I did it my self. Took me a long long long time, but it got done.

Only one minor problem on mine when I got done, for some reason my driver side pipe is about an inch or two lower than the passenger side.

Oh well

aRed4x4
06-05-2002, 09:37 PM
i jsut cut my exaust right after the exaust comes from stock muffler... im going to turn it down soon. but my dad says i need to put it back or run it thru the side or back. i cant run it thru to the back or the side since im going to bag it and notch the frame no room. what should i do. i hate seeing the exaust like .5 inches off teh ground also it used to drag thatswhy i cut it off lol. but do i have an options? is it unsafe to have it turned down ?

ZZ4Blazer
06-09-2002, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by el guapo
if you put the turndowns on your truck, you're gonna notice a horrible exhaust smell in your cabin, especially while idling. i don't know about that muffler, but i would go with a flowmaster 40-series - that'll give you the low tone (not the import buzz) you want. the dual outlet is a lot louder than the single outlet. this muffler has tended to annoy some peeps because of it's cabin resonance, however.

where i am, in delaware, it is state law that the pipes must exit at the rear of the vehicle. better check with local laws before you go thru inspection with turndowns. also, it is EXTREMELY difficult to route duals on your truck - depends how good your muffler shop is...

I have turndowns in front of the axle, and I never notice any exhuast smell in my cab. Thats with a mild 350 running rich. I ran turndowns cause my truck is lowered 4" out back, and I will be dropping it more. True duals out the back isnt hard unless your really lowered. The only bad thing I have to say about turndowns is, the exhuast blowing down blows dust up on my blazer. Its really noticeable on the back glass and the tailgate. I can't help you on which muffler, like I said I've got a mild 350. With headers, no cats, 2.5 true duals, and flowmaster 40's. Sounds mean as hell. Too loud to use a celly on the eway. But, I love it.

timamin
06-09-2002, 01:35 PM
I was just wondering if I can get away with turndowns hehe I think I'll go with a flowmaster 40. The jimmy will be bagged and laying frame.

aRed4x4
06-09-2002, 05:25 PM
if your ging to lay frame , u will have to use turndowns unless u are stepnitching your truck, cause your axle will go directly in the path of where your stock exaust would route.

ZZ4Blazer
06-09-2002, 06:41 PM
Unless you run the exhuast UNDER your axle. I've seen a ford like that laid out. Looked pretty dumb when I was aired up to ride height, cuase you could clearly see the pipes hanging down under it.

el guapo
06-26-2002, 07:33 PM
i've heard that most modern trucks' exhaust systems are meant to have the full pipes on them. would cuttin the pipes right after the muffler and putting turn downs do any harm? would there be too much backpressure?

BEDAN77
07-05-2002, 08:21 PM
yea, i have duals outta the back with chrome tips but i wanna put on turn downs right off my mufflers....
i would only do it if there louder....
so are turn downs louder??

16years&blazin
07-05-2002, 10:37 PM
check out the pic, it seems to me that the shorter the pipe, the louder it is (OPEN HEADERS and turndowns), but i am not sure