PDA

View Full Version : voltage meter bounces with my turn signal

lonestar
06-29-2007, 02:01 PM
i think this may be a bad ground but really have no idea.

Every time i turn on my turn signals my voltage meter bounces with every blink of the blinker. what do you guys think? anyone have the same problem? its an 03 x-blazer with just under 50k.

x_concepts
06-29-2007, 03:03 PM
Its absolutely normal. Every car does that.

s10blazed
06-29-2007, 03:08 PM
uhhhh, nuh uh.

Does it do it with both directions? Definitely sounds like a short or ground problem.

lonestar
06-29-2007, 03:21 PM
uhh, na none of my other cars have done that. but i've only had honda's and ford's before the blazer.

yeah it does it wether i'm turning right or left. i dont even know where to begin to look for all the grounding wires.

also when i shut the truck off my oil pressure gauge sits a notch or 2 above the 0 line until i put the key back in, when i insert the key and turn it to the "on" position it drops down to 0 where its supposed to be when the engine isnt running.

alowerlevel
06-29-2007, 03:47 PM

:rolleyes:Hmmm, I guess the last 7 cars Ive owned havent been normal then, cause none of them ever did that.

x_concepts
06-29-2007, 03:56 PM
It does that because it draws current for a split second. If you sit there and flicker your headlights, or turn your ac off and on, or turn anything else off and on that draws current, it will do the same.

lonestar
06-29-2007, 04:01 PM
i'm running a 320 watt amp and with the bass all the way up and the volume cranked and it doesnt draw enough current to make my needle bounce.

I'm sorry X-concepts but i just can't bring myself to believe that my turn signal draws more current than that. i'm not saying your completly wrong cause if i knew that much i wouldn't be posting on here asking you guys.

i can tell you with out a doubt that niether of my civics do that though. i just checked them out before i posted this.

ne one else got ideas?

x_concepts
06-29-2007, 04:11 PM
It bounces because its being turned off and on. As in it draws a small shot of current then lets off, then draws again. It should do it when the bass on your system hits as well because it will draw more current in that instant.

Ive also been told that by my auto tech teacher back in HS. He had about 17 years experience at the time.

I have a 200 amp alt and a red top battery and it does the same thing. My moms jeep does the same thing. I havnt really been paying that much attention to it on every car I drove but Im pretty sertain that lots of cars do that.

s10blazed
06-29-2007, 04:13 PM
I have never, ever seen a car that draws enough current from the turn signal to make the voltmeter bounce.

x_concepts
06-29-2007, 04:15 PM
Well, lets see, any one else w/ a 2nd gen who has this or doesnt have this?

lonestar
06-29-2007, 04:15 PM
thats the deal, if it was doing it with my amp on i prob wouldnt have even asked but the only thing that i've ever done that makes it bounce is use my turn signal. you could very easily be right though, this is my first chevy so im not going to argue, just put in my $.02.

the guy at the dealship i took it to when i was still under warranty told me it shouldnt do that but he was a friggin moron and they didn't fix it and when i realized it was still going on i was past the warranty.

someone on here has to know something. its no biggy cause it's been doing it since i bought it but now curiosity has the best of me.

x_concepts
06-29-2007, 04:22 PM
See, my system doesnt make the voltmeter bouce either unless Im listening to a song w/ incosistent base turned way up, then it will drop a bit once the bass hits, not as much as the signal drops it thought, I agree. I think inconsistency is the key here. I think it does it because it doesnt draw current consistently, just in flashes.

I could be wrong, but I doubt that your truck, my truck, and my moms cherokee have the same problem. Id like to see if any other 2nd gen owners have any comments.

Went to check if my gto does that, but it doesnt have voltmeter lol.

alowerlevel
06-29-2007, 04:27 PM
Well, lets see, any one else w/ a 2nd gen who has this or doesnt have this?

I just went and checked my bro's truck (97 s10) and his doesnt do it either, hes got a stock alt, some cheap battery, and a system. My '94 doesnt do it with a stock alt and battery, only time my gauge moves is when I have the stereo cranked.

lonestar
06-29-2007, 04:27 PM
See, my system doesnt make the voltmeter bouce either unless Im listening to a song w/ incosistent base turned way up, then it will drop a bit once the bass hits, .

mine doesnt even do it then

I think inconsistency is the key here. .
agreed

Id like to see if any other 2nd gen owners have any comments. .

yep, me too.

phatfarmer2
06-29-2007, 05:27 PM
my 1st gen does that but not my second gens...

6SpeedBlazer
06-29-2007, 05:36 PM
my first gen does this as well. but i have a guage electriacl issue. my guage reads im putting out about 9-10 all the time adn teh sub/lights kill it hard time.

i can get a quick video to prove this

99blaze
06-29-2007, 05:56 PM
my 2nd gen does it but i almost killed my battery yesterday so that could be it.

slammins15
06-29-2007, 10:26 PM
Neither of mine do it 1st or 2nd gen. Neither have any other vehicles I have owned.

Blazin Low
06-29-2007, 10:31 PM
Bl1 does it, bl2 doesnt.

syclonekid43
06-29-2007, 11:02 PM
all my 1st gen blazers did that. never gave me a issue so its something i dont worry about.

blazapimpin19
06-29-2007, 11:34 PM
my second gen did it even with the optima redtop and my friends 03 s-10 does it

hivoltagedriver
07-01-2007, 01:03 AM
My 01 Blazer does it. I have upgraded the Big 3 wiring, have a Red top, and a 130 amp alternator, and I still have problems with it. My lights all dim when the A/C compressor kicks on and the fans kick in also. It is really annoying. I have even swapped out guage clusters and it still does it. I noticed that the whole electrical system seams to run through a 175 amp breaker/fuse below the battery tray. I am wondering if that thing is going weak on me. If anyone has had this problem and fixed it, PLEASE tell me how.

blazin4low
07-01-2007, 01:51 AM
my 1st gen does it.......it didn't b4 the V8 swap so i thought it was the wiring i did......guage reads below 12 all the time and drops when the fans kick on.....i put a 200amp limo alt on it and it still does it......put a volt guage in my cig lighter and it read 15amps and 13.5 with the a/c, fans, and sub going...so i don't pay much attention to the stock guage

Superbee
07-01-2007, 02:23 AM
you guys its poor inadaquate ground. A chevy box van came into work for the same problem, i made about three new grounds using just 10 gauge wire and its solved. that system uses alot of poor grounds like idk, the steel behind dash and firewall steel...places that arent real good.

blazin4low
07-01-2007, 05:16 PM
you guys its poor inadaquate ground. A chevy box van came into work for the same problem, i made about three new grounds using just 10 gauge wire and its solved. that system uses alot of poor grounds like idk, the steel behind dash and firewall steel...places that arent real good.

that would explain why it started after the swap.......................where would you suggest putting some grounds?

00Blazer
07-01-2007, 06:08 PM
my 2000 blazer and my trans am both do it. oh yeah and my 2007 Peterbilt truck does it.

hivoltagedriver
07-01-2007, 06:43 PM

that would explain why it started after the swap.......................where would you suggest putting some grounds?

I upgraded the ground circuit from the battery to the chassis, and from the battery to the block to 2ga. Plus I kept the factory ground circuit. Where else should I be grounding?

bigdawg
07-01-2007, 09:29 PM
my bravada doesnt do it (digital dash), my wifes jeep does do it. all our trucks at work do it. they are 04 internationals and 07 freightliners. as a matter of fact, all big trucks i have driven do it.

Mistersponge
07-01-2007, 10:06 PM
my 57 does

Superbee
07-01-2007, 10:11 PM
For shits and grins try and find metal under the dash and run a ground and see what it does.

blazin4low
07-01-2007, 10:22 PM
For shits and grins try and find metal under the dash and run a ground and see what it does.

So run a ground from the battery to the dash?

lonestar
07-02-2007, 08:30 AM
i checked all my grounds coming straight off the battery and all seemed to be good maybe ill just take em off and clean up around them before i put them back on.

yeah so are you saying to run another wire from batter to dash?

Superbee
07-02-2007, 08:32 AM
it dont have to be clear back to the battery but to frame or whatever is close.

lonestar
07-02-2007, 11:11 AM
along the same lines; when i removed all the factory speakers and upgraded i took a test light and check for polarity and both wires for every speaker 6.5 and 6x9 read positive instead of one positive and one negative wire.

i tried this 2 times with 2 diffrent test lights. any one have similar problems? i used just a regular tester that you ground and when you touch a positive wire it lights up and i used one that has a red and green light (red being post and green being negative or vice versa) and with both of them no matter what wire i touched i got a positive polarity light.

could these be related?

01xtreme
07-02-2007, 01:08 PM
I have an 01 with a 280 amp alt,the big 3 and a red top. Mine does it, but it didnt do it before I replace my stock battery with the optima. Kinda weird.

hivoltagedriver
07-02-2007, 08:13 PM
where did you getthe 280 amp alternator? I am going to be adding subs and an amp, and I think the 130 amp might not be enough.

6SpeedBlazer
07-04-2007, 10:22 AM
was working on my blazer and found my voltage problem. had a bad ground where the two wires connect to the thermostat housing

blazin20z
07-21-2007, 10:35 AM
i have a 18" audiobahn with a 4000.1 lanzar .... stock alt. autozone battery ! ... mine move to about 10 amps when the systems on ... it moves a lil with the turn signals .. but u have to look at it really close ... not enough to worry about i dont think ..

hivoltagedriver
07-21-2007, 06:07 PM
:confused: ????????????????

01xtreme
07-21-2007, 06:14 PM
where did you getthe 280 amp alternator? I am going to be adding subs and an amp, and I think the 130 amp might not be enough.

Irragi amputator series.