Thread: LT1 conversion

LT1 conversion

Just curious who all has done a LT1 conversion, the Advance adapters V8 swap motor mounts will work? Also does anyone know if the standard V8 swap hedders will work on a LT1?

I have the opportunity to purchase a 97 LT1 w/6 speed transmission for 1000$, it has 60,000 miles on it, comes with everything...serp belt to tailshaft and computer and wiring.......now there is no doubt that I will be buying the motor, just curious how many problems I will be running into........

Unfortunately I won't be using the transmission, selling it to a friend, just looking for some info on the swap
    America, Love it, or get the hell out!

Motor mounts and headers will work just like any other sbc.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley
    Go before show any day of the week.

Thanks, I figured you'd have the answer, I was going to PM you but I know there area couple of other guys on here that have done this.

I thought that the LT1's had a slightly different head design as far as port placement, but its late.......or early, depending on how you look at it......

I guess its going to be getting headers, a crank pulley, and a programmer right off the bat........stock Z's look out, your gonna get smoked by a 4dr blazer.......
    America, Love it, or get the hell out!

I've seen guys running the sanderson shorties, and hedmans on LT1's, with no mods.

The LT1 motor is a little different installing. Some of the accessories can cause frame clearance problems. Not sure which ones.

Too bad that 6 speed is already sold. I'd be willing to take off your hands. :bigthumb:
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley
    Go before show any day of the week.

WhiteBlaze350
    was it hard to change it over

Puttin the "Sport" in SUV hivoltagedriver's Avatar
    I am also picking up a '97 LT1/ T56 combo on the cheap to put in my '91. I probably won't actually get around to doing it for a couple of months, but I would be interested in hearing what you went through to get it to work. By the way, if your LT1 came out of an F-body and not a vette, watch out for clearance between the a/c compressor and the frame. You might also check out www.lt4blazer.net. This guys has already done it, and has a nice ride.

Just curious what you'll be running for a trans. since you got rid of the 6 speed?

The A/C compressor on the F-body LT1's sits right on top of the frame on a Blazer. Tight, but fits without cutting, or so I've been told. (Engine sits about an inch higher in a Blazer versus an S-pickup.

If you get Hedman or Sanderson shorties, make sure you get the 1-5/8" primary tubes. The 1-1/2" is too small for an LT1 and VERY restrictive on the exhaust port. Lots of port mismatch.
    I've also been told (but haven't yet personally confirmed) that Sanderson will build a set of shorties with LT1 specific port flanges.
    '92 Jimmy, 4.3 CPI/auto, 2dr,2WD, 3/4 drop, 3.73's w/zexel. Bodywork in progress, LT1/6spd getting dusty.
    '94 Blazer w/GMC superiority complex, 4.3 TBI/5 spd, 4dr,4WD, 255/55/18's, fresh blue/black metallic.
    Originally posted by Blazin Low
    I keep mine nice and lubed with anti-sieze and it helps out alot...
    :D