Thread: Very serious angle plugs/header/motor mount question?

Very serious angle plugs/header/motor mount question?

Hello.I am build a 383 stroker.I already have a 350 in my s-10 and I have been running 13.6 for this racing season.Now it's time to step it up a notch.I bought a merlin 383 stroker short block that is currently being built.I also have in my hand a set of trickflow 23 deg. heads with 195cc intakes and they cnc matched.Anyway.I have 2 sets if headers.On my old 350 that was in my truck i had a set od hedmen long tube headers.They will not fit my trickflow head I bought becuase of the slight angle plug position they have.But I do have a set of hooker long tubes and they will fit these heads and clear the plugs.I did not buy these heads becuase I got them both for free when I bought my truck with the convserion already done.Well If I use these hooker long tube headers will what mounts will I need to buy.Can I use my current mounts.I am using the flat L shape piece of steal that you buy a compleate gm mount and put on top of it to mount the motor.I am not sure what company makes this mount?Can some please read through this long ramable and help me out.Thanks!

can someone please write a response.This is a very important question .It si getting in the way of my build up

Slow Ride
    You shouldn't have any problems with the hedder fitting. You might have to dent the #1 tube to clear the #3 plug boot

What mounts and long tube headers would you use?What mounts would you use with my hooker long tube's.

Slow Ride
    I hate the Hooker Super Comps I have. I want either the Hedmen long tubes or some custom ones. I also hate the TD mounts I used the engine sits too high.

I didn't like the Hooker super comps either. the tubes outside the frame rails were a pain and I think they "worked" the exhaust gaskets causing them to leak. Ditto on the transdapt mounts being too high.

Bottom line, heyremeo is that your motor is already installed, and driveshaft, angles and other thing more important than headers are already set. You can bend and clearance, to a reasonable degree.

Banned
    Best thing ive always known to use with a V8 bein in a S10 is useing Shorty Headers...everyone that ive known to use long ones didnt like em or had a bad response out of em and went back to the short hedman headers...

Slow Ride
    shortie hedders start to cause restrictions when you go over 400hp though. So a long tube is the best choice for a big HP motor. I think I'm going to get a set of hedman's and then copy them in 1.75 or 2" primaries and 3.5" collectors. Hopefully I can make a few copies and sell them.

Banned
    i know of ppl thats running 500+ and are useing the shorties and not having any problems.. but also 1 that uses the super comp or whatever that go out and around the outside of the frame instead of the inside and he hates them cause he says every set hes bought has leaked and id hate em too cause his truck is a full tubbed S10 and is basically a show truck.. So now hes throwin some shorties under it..

I have the 1 1/2inch primary hedman shorty headers and my run time was 12.14@120 w/1.9 60ft. I can't complain to much for using a set of cheap $100 dollar headers. I could go and buy the 1 5/8 inch primary headers for about $300 and would only pick up a tenth or two. Not worth it to me for 1 or 2 tenths to spend $300 dollars. When I could go and spend $500 dollars on nitrous and knock off almost a 3/4 of a second or even a second. Probably 11.30ish(maybe faster).:bigthumb:

I almost forgot. My collectors are 3 1/2 inch cause I cut the 2 1/2 inch collectors off and welded the 3 1/2 inch collectors on the heddman shorty headers. That is one of the tricks of the trade(size of the collector). And when I race, I just unbolt the exhaust pipes and run open headers. So there is zero restriction on the motor.:smoker: :bigthumb:
    ISRA# 18696

CMA

So ewhat would you guys suggest.Long tube or shorties.Long tubes will leak easier but I will lose power.This truck is going ot have over 400 hp and will mostly be used for race.Will the shorty headers fit angle plugs or will I be bending 4 out of the 8 tubes.What conversion mounts would you also suggest?

Welcome to infomation from a forum. I ran 12.60s with a smog 400CI and the hookers, Yenko68 is running low 12's with shorties. I sure that others have ran 11's with factory manifolds.

Since your primary goal is racing, If you own the hookers try them out first. You can always open your wallet for shorties and possibly modify the collectors later.

For info on shorties clearing your heads go to the web sites and read the application notes: Lots of good info: Hedman notes actually states with one of their conversion headers that it works specifcally with transdapt mounts.

I would put some cutouts in the exhaust to give the open header equivalent at the track noting that you may have to tune the carb for open vs. closed.

I looked at the two sets of header I have today.The hooker header I had were on my truck and were giving me very bad exhaust leaks becuase of the tubes that go outside the frame rail.So I think the hooker suck.On the other had I have a set of hedman long tubes that don't go outside the frame and clear my angle plugs becuase I have already tried them on my heads.I will be using the hedmen long tubes I guess.Thanks for all the info guys.All I have to do now is get the corrt mounts.Later.