Thread: Is one electric Fan enough!?

Is one electric Fan enough!?

I am almost done my conversion.. I recently bought a 3 core radiator from a newer GMC Suburban. 3 core. I was wondering if 1 14 or 16" electric fan would be enough. I live in a pretty cold part of the world so Heat isnt really a problem for me.. thanks

Banned
    yea one fan is enough with that good size of a radiator.. it really wont matter which size fan you use sense you do have a good radiatar and heat isnt a big deal.. but id say go with the 16" fan..

aaight. thanks man..
    yeah Canada is cold so its all good.

How did you fit that in there? I looked at the one I have in my 81 C-10, it was way too long, and tall to fit.

Second off, LO86, where do you get your info. I've read more than a few of your posts, most being on V8 conversions, or performance. Most of them are wrong. Have you done a V8 conversion?

I do not think that one will be enough. If you only run 1, try making some type of shroud, so that the fan pulls air from all over the radiator. Not just the small area over the fan. That will eliminate hot spots. That is a good sized radiator, but my experiences is that the engine compartment of a v8 s-series is hotter than a normal truck. Suppose its just the small space.

Then again, like I've said before, every V8 swap is different. And, there is only 1 way to find out. Make sure you have good guages, and watch that temp gauge. Stockers are always way off.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley
    Go before show any day of the week.

You cooling system is only as good as the hottest day you drive your truck.

I've done the after market electric fan route with 2 in front and 1 behind and the noise required bigger amps although it kept it cool. My dad's S15 we did a factory camaro radiator and factory electric fans and shroud with the LT1 and its perfect.

I'm currently running a mechanical fan with a thermal clutch and part of a homemade shroud . The cutch fan is quieter when its not required. On my 84 this modification required about 8 hours to remove the lip on the core support, weld in a new support allow me to push the radiator as far forward as possible.

Banned
    I dont get my info from no where except from what i know.. but no i havent ever done a V8 conversion in a S10.. ive done a few 4.3 conversions but no V8's... but ive built plenty of small blocks so far in my life and dropped in my cars and others and ive never had any problems outta over heating as long has the car had a good radiator that was either new or had been rodded and flushed out... ive never used 2 fans...and my last car had a 3 core radiator with 1 fan.. i drove it completely all summer long and it never got hot or even close to over heatin.. it raised up a few times but that was while settin and idling... but never over heated.. Sorry if my V8 conversion tips might not be right.. but im just reflecting from it being a small block.. something i have plenty of knowledge and experience in...

I use 2 14"s on mine, work great. You could probably get away with one since youre in a cold climate, but 2 would definately leave you worry-free.
    this is a test of the sig

i've got one 16" electric.. from auto zone ior something... its a piece... its come veyr close to overheating a few times.. even in teh cold weather it will rise up in traffic... its better to be safe tejhn sorry man.. i'd run two.. then u don;t always have to be watching ur temp gauge when ur idling
    1988 s-15 jimmy
    500hp 383
    700r4
    4.10s posi

Im not trying to be a smart ass or anything. I have a 350 that is bored 0.60 over and when it was in my truck I only had a three core radiator, one 16 inch fan and a 185 thermostat. It gets pretty hot here in texarkana texas. I have not seen my direct reading gauge get over 190 on a 100 degree day sitting still at a red light.
    Just a slow truck wanting to be as fast as others.

Well here goes. I have an 185 degree thermo and two 16" fans that push roughly 1250 cfm a piece and a three core
    radiator. tried to over heat all the time till I got some bugs worked out so all in all Id say go with two fans for insurance, And I was driving around in Texas and New Mexico most of the time if that matters.
    I finally hit a hundred posts and I still dont feel satisfied...

Doesnt look like this supernova's Avatar
    Hey mike do you have any pics of your set up

Originally posted by 354Blazer
    aaight. thanks man..
    yeah Canada is cold so its all good.
    What do you mean it's cold so its good?Does this mean you do not drive your truck in the summer?Last time I was in B.C. it was 95 outside!
    I'm a black ninja motherfucker!

I'm using 2 10" fans in front and 2 12" in rear of a 4.3 radiator with a stainless shroud. This summer sitting in traffic for 2 hours in 100+ degree weather with AC on, the coolant temp stays at 185.