Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZZ4 short block

ZZ4 short block

I've been rethinking tearing apart my perfectly good motor. I currently have 2, good, solid trucks with no motor in them. My fullsize will be getting a 350 to get me through the winter. But, I wanted to swap the heads, cam, intake, etc on my ZZ4 next spring to upgrade.

My ZZ4 was one of the very first built. They have made some changes to them. Steel crank and rods have now been added. I believe that mine are both cast.

I have been thinking about purchasing the short block. $1650 from GMPD. Add the little stuff its missing, sheet metal, timing chain, etc. and add the cam and heads I was gonna run on my current crate. Then swap the junk 350 from my fullsize, then ZZ4 my fullsize. Junk 350 then goes to my other s-10.

I think its worth the cash, but what about you guys?

Includes:
    new 4 bolt main block
    machined for factory roller cam
    1 peice rear main seal
    Steel crank/ rods, but only hyper pistons

I'll need cam/heads(which I was buying anyway), timing chain, oil pump, balancer, and sheet metal.

I look at it this way. Im getting a more powerful, more reliable motor for my fullsize. I need something there everyday, and be reliable when Im wrenching on my blazer. And, I'll have a more reliable, stronger motor for my blazer. Im just worried about trashing the bottom end when I add some boost.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley
    Go before show any day of the week.

Go with it.
    what have you got to loose?
    Snap me a pic of the front of the crank while you have it out
    I can tell if it is forged or not.

Zach

Pimpin Once Again blazer88FastNLo's Avatar
    just look at the parting line on the crank wide and flat is forged. a bump with an hard edge and thin parting line is cast

thats would be the best thing to do ZZ4 and it would be the cheapest unless you can find a good motor i the classified section. should find something cheap. ours has a 454 fresh rebuild with perf. cam for $1250
    R.I.P. Allison Campbell R.I.P. Gone But Not Forgotten 1984-2002

tone dos (tone tone) Tony Sport's Avatar
    what is wrong with hyp pistons? i have read in a few smallblock books that they are the best way to go unless you are going all out race. apparently the hyp pistons have a very low expantion rate, and can be fitted with closer piston to wall clearance.

the asshole in one of my books also goes on to say something about extended ring life or some shit when compared to forged as well as less blowby . i dont really see the need for forged pistons myself, not only will they not last as long as the hyps, they are so much more expensive. if the compression is where you want it with the zz4 short, then i would say leave in there what you get, unless it is some gay compression like 8.0 or some shit, causing you to change the pistons for a more desirable ratio or whatever.
    Last edited by Tony Sport; 11-22-2002 at 09:17 PM.
    rip SlamminS15

Pimpin Once Again blazer88FastNLo's Avatar
    there is nothing wrong with hyperutectic pistons. they are great. only use for forged is if your using nitrous, blower, or turbo where they are needed. other than that a stock block or race engine normally aspirated they are excellent
    R.I.P. Allison Campbell R.I.P. Gone But Not Forgotten 1984-2002

Well thats my problem. I am going with a blower. I wanna run a procharger, round 9-10 psi on the street. Maybe even boost more at the track.

I should be over the 600 hp mark with 9 psi. I'd really like to find all all forged short block, but I can't seem to find one. Im almost temped to try and build one myself. But, I don't have the knowhow to do so. And thats a lot of money to be pissing away when I drop a bearing or something.

Im not going to drive this everyday, but just about everyday in good weather. I want the constant power, but still have the motor mild enough to drive in traffic, or on a long cruise or trip. Thats why I decided with the centrifical supercharger.

I just don't wanna trash the bottom end of my current motor with that much power. Its only 2 years old. I'd like to have a short block built to my specs, but I dont' have a clue where to take it to be done around here. Everyone I talk to has had a bad experience with all the local shops.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear

Maybe I'll have Golen build me a short block. I found that they offer forged short blocks. Maybe I'll even go stroker.
    THey offer a short block, forged 4340 Eagle crank, forged H-beam rods, and JE forged pistons. Basically, just like a zz4 short block, but this is a stroker, or regular stoke 350(not sure which I want yet, sure be nice to have the extra cubes) but this is all forged. And they all have a lifetime labor warranty. I think its bout time for some overtime!!
    Last edited by ZZ4Blazer; 11-23-2002 at 03:44 AM.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear

Slow Ride
    get the 383. Super Rod just got 811+ HP out of a 91 octane 383 w/ a vortech and carb box

THats what Im talking about. What issue. I'm gonna have to go pick that one up. What makes a motor not streetable? Other than traction and bad milage. I deal with both of them now.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear

Slow Ride
    December 2002 SUPER ROD

they actually could've would it tighter if they had a forged crank and rods in it so they shut it down at 6000RPM so it would be safe.

Slow Ride
    They had the boost at 9.8psi on a 10:1 w/ AFR 195 CNC heads, RPM Air Gap intake, BG 750 Mighty Demon. The cam was a Comp XR294HR.

The thing never dropped below 700ft-lb and did 811HP and if they reved it a little higher would've seen 850HP. I think you should build one of these wind it to 4000 and dump the clutch to see what happens.

I think I'd be scared of what would happen if I hooked up, lol. That cams just a little big for me. Thats a 242/248 duration. I only wanted to go around a 224/230. And, ATI recommends a cam with 112-116 lobe separation.

Other than the cam, and the prochrager, not vortech, it will be the same. I will have less compression on the motor though. Probably more boost too. Like I said, I'd like at least 625 hp on the motor. That hopefully will be an under-estimate :bigthumb:
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear

cool then, forged must be the way to go, i thought you were just building another basic 400-425 hp 350, but if you are going all out, get the fuckin stroker. if you have the option, why not take it, especially if you are wanting the most potential. the stroker shouldnt cost too much more if you are getting a custom job right?
    rip SlamminS15

Thats the kicker. The 350 competition, and 383 competition(competition is all forged) are the same price.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear

no brainer get the 383!!!
    rip SlamminS15