Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ATTN NOOBS Have A Bag ? Go Here First BEFORE Posting a question.

ATTN NOOBS Have A Bag ? Go Here First BEFORE Posting a question.

HAVE A BAG ? GO HERE FIRST

Air It Up

Fast Bags 101

Bags Vs Juice
    Last edited by Dragginblazer; 12-19-2002 at 09:51 AM.
    DFWminis.com
    AIM s/n Dragginblazer

damn thats a lot of s#!+ to read but hell yea it pretty much answered all my questions. thanks
    1986 two wheel drive s-10 blazer

....Who needs demons when there.....
    ...are chicks...

O ya pimpin in the shade MBlazer's Avatar
    Same here. Helped me out alot!thanks
    1986 S-10 Blazer-Sold
    1987 Astro Van

THIS WAS RECENTLY POSTED ON SPORTRUCK.COM If you think bags and horsepower don't mix, read this.

Let's examine the role of springs in a drag car. With the exception of pre-load (which we'll examine in a moment), the sole purpose of the spring is to hold the car up. Period. End of story. Thats it...nothing else. And anyone that tells you that springs do ANYTHING other than hold the car up, or can be used to manipulate preload, is NOT someone you should pay any attention to.

You gotta remeber...the car does NOT know whats holding it up...so, like Bryan said, a spring is a spring is a spring...period. Don't overscience this...an airbag that holds a car 6" off the ground has the SAME load carrying capacity as a steel spring that holds the car 6" off the ground, right?

So, if the spring doesn't factor into whether or not the suspension can hook, what does? Thats right, Skippy...the linkage. 2-link, 3-link, 4-link...it's the linkage that determines the vehicles launch dynamics.

And what about a monoleaf? Well, a monoleaf is both a spring AND a linkage...and whereas it migh have enough load carrying capacity to hold the truck up, as a link it sucks because it has no inherent rigidity.

And what about pre-load? Well, in drag racing, it is common (especially on coil-spring cars) to actually add load carrying capacity to the right rear spring...easy to do with an air bag, obviously, and by adding this capacity, the car has a tendency to launch straighter because the "heavier" right rear helps resist the twisting motion that the vehicle exhibits when it launches due to engine torque.....

But, back to linkages for a moment. The linkages form what is called a "lifting moment", which is the "extrapolated" point on the vehicle where the actual lifting and motive force is imparted to the vehicle....optimally, this point is below and just forward of the vehicles center of gravity....and when this geometry is not met, or when the linkages are not stable, wheel spin happens....

The point here is that the notion that "bags don't hook" is just more "bag mythology" that needs to be dispelled.....

Go tell your mechanic buddy that there is NOT a coil sprung world champion NHRA Super Stocker that DOESN'T have an air bag in the right rear....go tell your friend that bags were used on Grand National stock cars until they were outlawed...and go tell him that we'd all be naked and starving if it weren't for the fact that virtually every semi on the planet has bags....

..and you GOTTA know that when a guy drops the hammer on a big Cummins or Cat diesel, powering a 90,000 lb rig, with 800 ft/lbs of torque, that he EXPECTS the suspension to live....and, gosh, the suspension DOES live, and the bags DON'T fail.....
    DFWminis.com
    AIM s/n Dragginblazer

:bigthumb:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'll race you.....to the ground!
    You get low, you stay low
    www.customthreadz.com

ONCE BAGGED 4X4 MEMBER Trigga187's Avatar
    thats was a beautiful speech man!! I now have a new vision for my truck. 350, 350, 350, 350, 350.:bigthumb: :blazer:
    Good Bye Blazer

I forgot I had this pic...

DFWminis.com
    AIM s/n Dragginblazer

Originally posted by Zepia
    :bigthumb:
    :nono: :nono: calm down sparky
    Originally posted by bigjsp
    :rolleyes:

Ba - bup - pa pa da dang ga dang dang yi dip ti ta dip - blue moon

shoo be do wop!

Just picture your grandparents "bumping uglies" in the back seat of a 57 chevy

ahahh lol
    I Need A Drill!!

www.dfwminis.com

Best videos on the net

hey do you know of any other sites like that. they helped out a lot but i want to learn more about the different types of valves and how they work. and most of the pages on the fast bag 101 site don't work. thanks

nice im puttin bags in my s10 when i get the money...
    '82 slammed orange S10 with a 350 bored .030 , flat top pistons , camshaft with 214 in 224 exh @.050 and .454 lift ,holley street dominator intake ,holley 4 bbl 650 cfm carb...$4000obo

1996 k1500 350 tbi 4wd singlecab shortbox 3" lift 31"goodyear mt's $6000obo

1997 zr580 efi 2"x136"track stock mint condition w/reverse $3000obo

Dont think im a not a supporter of bags, i have them on my ride, but i was talking to a fabrication shop and the owner said he would not install normal bags becasue of the blow out possiblities. I've never heard a story about blowing out bags, so if anyone knows about any bags blowing out say somthing, but im trusting them so far. I guess some people dont like us lowriders... wait i saw a big jacked up ford 4x4 with bags, hmm not just a lowrider thing.

just my $.02
    86 S10Blazer, Project truck
    Bagged, Bodydropped 4 3/4", Shaved Clean

Go tell that guy he is a dumbass. Just about every semi on the road has bags. There are many uses for bags but the main use is for motor vehicles. Why would luxury vehicles have bags if they were unsafe?
    DFWminis.com
    AIM s/n Dragginblazer

Registered User Catching Second's Avatar
    What big rig have you seen with an air bag suspension? I mean the actually supsension of the whole truck, not just the cab.
    "A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo

Registered User Catching Second's Avatar
    Also in reply to what you said about luxury vehicles being on bags and safe. I agree to a degree.

The reason that DOT doesn't want any vehicle that wasn't already equipped with bags to have them is the same reason they don't like to see any other kind of alteration to the vehicle. It's that it didn't come from the factory like that. They can trust that the air suspension system that GM, Ford, etc put on their vehicles has matched parts, has been through hard tests, and all the other whatnot before that specific manufacture labeled it as being safe enough for them to put on their cars. Manufactured air suspensioned vehicles have the best welds and whatnot also. Face the truth.. not everyone who welds up their new notch and brackets is a professional welder.

Also when something goes wrong in an air suspension system.. say on a Lincoln Town Car... a "Check Air Suspension" light comes on. The second something fishy happens with the air suspension system on those cars there is a trouble code stored and the light is turned on. I've never seen an aftermarket air suspension system that comes with warning lights when something is faulty.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not against bags (in most cases). I'm just telling you how DOT sees it.
    "A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo