Thread: 350 tpi????

350 tpi????

Hi, i have a few questions about putting a 350 in my blazer. Here they are:

1. what is the difference between a 350 TPI and a regular carbed 350? Like name all the parts.
    2. can i convert one over? what part do i need?
    3. will a 700r4 TV cable work with a TPI?
    4. Can i use my stock computer with a TPI?
    5. Which is better for a daily driver truck: 350 TPI, TBI 350, or a crabed 350?

Thanx a ton
    Joel

Re: 350 tpi????

Originally posted by joelkatdaddy
    Hi, i have a few questions about putting a 350 in my blazer. Here they are:

1. what is the difference between a 350 TPI and a regular carbed 350? Like name all the parts.
    2. can i convert one over? what part do i need?
    3. will a 700r4 TV cable work with a TPI?
    4. Can i use my stock computer with a TPI?
    5. Which is better for a daily driver truck: 350 TPI, TBI 350, or a crabed 350?

Thanx a ton
    Joel
    1.TPI is fuel injected and the fuel and timing is controled by a ecm(computer). The TPI controls and delivers the same amount of fuel to each cylinder(carb does not). A carb can put out more performance than fuel injection can. But on the other hand, if you spend enough money, fuel injection can perform also. Just depends on how much money you have to spend. As for the motor itself, there is no difference except horse power depending on year. There might be a difference in camshafts but other than that, none(350 is a 350) 2. Yes, you can convert a carb'd motor over to a TPI(tuned port injection) or TBI(throttle body injection). As for parts, TPI, upper and lower plemuin, fuel injectors, sensors(map, throttle postion and mass air and O2), electric fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, matching wiring harness, ecm computer and electonic distributor. TBI, same type of sensor, but the throttle body looks like a carb kind of. You'll have to look at one and you will know what I mean. The intake is also similar to a carb intake. Now the TBI which looks like a carb, has the fuel injectors inside of it. The TPI and the fuel injectors that shots fuel to each cylinder. Have I lost you yet(hope not)? 3. Not sure if a 700 R4 TV cable will work with a TBI(sorry, maybe someone else can answer that one for you). 4. Yes you can, but you will need to upgrade to a V8 TBI ecm computer. The timing curve is different and the amount of fuel is different. Performance is over all different. 5. Just depends on the time of the year and weather conditions. A (stock 350)carb will be just fine in the summer. A TBI will help better in the winter. But TPI will give you better performance over the TBI. You'll have to make that decision or do more research on the differents units. JTR, click here has a manual that explains all three units(TPI,TBI and Carburators)(first manual on the list=$24.95 scroll down the page, I have it also and it explains everything you will want to know).
    ISRA# 18696

CMA

If a security alert pops up, click OK. Your not ordering the manual, just viewing it. Sorry, I forgot to mention that little detail. Good luck. :bigthumb:
    ISRA# 18696

CMA

Yes you can use the TV cable from a 4.3 tbi on a 5.7 tbi but on a tpi I am not sure.As for the ecm I had a 4.3 and swapped in a 5.7 tbi and kept everything even the stock V6 ecm and it runs fine but It will have more performance with the proper ecm.The ecm you want is service #1227747 it is universal(meaning any prom chip from 4.3-5.0-5.7 or the big block 454 will fit) and should plug in to your stock harness including the digital dash.
    I'm a black ninja motherfucker!