Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Question for you digital gurus.

Originally posted by xrated
    Well...I'll tell you what. Let me actually talk to someone who runs a metal shop with a cnc machine and find out ; ) I emailed some guy from Florida from a place called billet and acrylics, and I'm just waiting on him to write me back.

In the mean time, I would definitely be interested in seeing what this grille would look like in 3d. I'm really pretty excited : )

Thank you for all of your help!!

=X=
    I am a Engineer for a small machine shop in Huntsville AL.
    Before I became a Engineer I was a Machinist.
    You will need to provide the shop with an AutoCad .DXF
    (design exchange file) or an AutoCad .DWG (drawing file).
    They will then program the machine toolpath from the .dxf or
    .dwg file using a CAM (computer aided machining) software.
    The software will produce G code for the machine to run on.
    The reason I say that a one off part will cost you out the @$$
    is because you will be paying by the hour for someone to program, setup, and run just a couple of parts. Most shop rates
    around here is between 60$ and 80$ an hour. Depending on
    how complex the design is you may pay as much as 80$ a piece
    (material included) or as little as 40$ a piece.

Send me the design file and let me quote it I will be as fair as
    anyone else.

Thanks,
    Zach

Zach thanks thats what I needed to know, I got the freehand drawing done I'll post it tonight. And what I 'll do is make him a good CAD graph design with all the point and specs, I just want to design something he can get cut and have it look cool.

Firstly Zach thank you so much for all of the information. Do you still do any machining? Because if you do, I'd rather pay the money to a fellow Blazinlow member than to some guy at a shop I don't know. I emailed a guy a billet and acrylic and he said it should be less that $100 for the pair.

Lay Low, I can't tell you how excited I am! I really appreciate you taking the time to help me with this. I promise that when I get the grilles made I will certainly give you credit for the design.

Thanx to everyone again, and I am really look forward to the design.

=X=

Yeah audiodogg I hear ya. I wish that I knew someone that owned or worked at a machine shop....I'd have the inside of my blazer all tricked out. Don't suppose any of you do : ) ? I'm sure there is a huge mark up on this stuff though.

BY THE WAY...for Lay Low and anyone else interested. The guy at Billet and Acrylic sent me this.

what I'd really like is a
    print (sketch) of what you want.
    Tell him I generally do all of my programs on the control rather than in a
    CADCAM application.
    If he is doing the design for you it will be easy for him to provide a print
    in Autocad.

I'm not sure what most of that means...but I'm sure you guys do. I'm not going with this guy for sure by the way...In fact I'll probably go with someone else if I can find them cheaper or closer... or one of you because like I said...I'd rather pay one of you that someone I don't know.

Anyway, thanx again.

=X=

The guys at the shop I clean, they just draw up all their designs and then put them into the machine, and cut them out. Maybe it's just easier I don't know, but I see their draws all over the place, and that seems to be what they use...as long as they have it all measured out right.

The guys at the local shop are pretty cool. The one guy lifts his car up with the large forklift to change/rotate his tires..lol

Nate

Fiberglass Fabrication EpicenterDesigns's Avatar
    Bradenton- FL........hammerin'-grindin'-sandin'-primin'
    hey if i can pipe in here, if someone could design something like the flamed grills by Audiobahn into a 6x9 design, i will be your best friend:) i have 4 of the Audiobahn grills and need 4 6x9 grills to make everything flow. Can it be designed? can zach cut them out? should they be polished or plexi? i'm willing to compensate!!!

The bitter after-taste of a poor quality job will last far longer than the sweetness of that cheap price!

Hey X,
    I do some machining on the side just send me what you
    got and we will go from there. Don't fret if I don't respond
    this weekend I will be out of town 12-6 - 12-12. But I will
    get back with you ASAP.

dbornotdb
    Sounds like something we might be able to do.
    E-mail me or pm me.

Thanks
    Zach

xrated I'll get the freehand design up soon, I was thinking it was more like Audiodogg was saying, You draw the design and enter it in. I never done any Machining but I can design my ass off so I have no idea what it takes, but I can do it in any design you need CAD or what ever. When
    I Get IT done what I could do is e-mail you with a bigger design of it that you can print it out and change mesurements or do what you need to get it done. PEACE

That's cool man...I'm just anxious to see the hand drawn design. If Zach can do it at a fiar price, I guess I'll just have him do it so I guess we should see what kind of form he needs it in.

=X=

By the way Lay Low...take your time. Don't feel like you have to rush or anything.

=X=

Shoot me a .DXF over and I'll take a look at it.
    Thanks,
    Zach

Ok!! thanks xrated, and ZACH do you need the mersurements on the DXF becuse I was just going to let xrated give them because I dont know them, but if you just need it in the design form I'll get it to YA THANKS

heh...umm...I'm not exactly sure what those measurements would be : ) When I get my subs it I can give you any measurements you will need. Just let me know.

How's the design comming? Are you going to incorporate the JT CUSTOMZ name on there?

Thankx again.

=X=

Comeing along good its all there let me resive it and i'll post the freehand steps

Awesome...I am anxious! : )

=X=