Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 450 horse power and 3inch rear drop springs do not get along

Thumbs down 450 horse power and 3inch rear drop springs do not get along

The other night I took my truck out for a spin and thought I'd see what it would do in cool weather. I took off and about 3000 rpm's, I pulled second gear. Well I took second gear to about 5000 rpm's and all was good. Third gear is were I screwed up at. I took third gear to 7000 rpm's. The rear of the truck broke loose and I lost control. I could not get it back straight and under control. After taking up both lanes to counter steer. I finally got it under control. I pulled off the side of the road to look to see if I messed anything up. Well I noticed the driver side bed was setting lower than the passenger side bed was. About 2 inch's lower. What the crap, there brand new springs(DJM three inch drop springs). Well, the driver side spring was bent. Guess horse power and 3inch drop springs do not get along. I'm wondering if it can be bent back??? I took off the traction bars so that you could see how much the spring was bent. The passenger side spring is not bent at all. I have no clue why it didn't bend.
    ISRA# 18696

CMA

Another picture. You can see the difference in the passenger side and the driver side stance or the height of the two. The driver side is lower than the passenger side.
    ISRA# 18696

CMA

damn thats a lot of bendin, sorry to hear about that what are you gonna do about?
    Originally posted by bigjsp
    :rolleyes:

Ba - bup - pa pa da dang ga dang dang yi dip ti ta dip - blue moon

shoo be do wop!

Just picture your grandparents "bumping uglies" in the back seat of a 57 chevy

Pimpin Once Again blazer88FastNLo's Avatar
    hey yenko, yea i probally dont what im talking about b/c i never had a v8 s-10 but anyway they one we had, had some f-150 leafs on it. alot stronger than the the s10 ones and they still bent. i think the only way to fix that is go with 4-link or ladder bar
    R.I.P. Allison Campbell R.I.P. Gone But Not Forgotten 1984-2002

i know you can have springs brought to a shop an de arched and stuff so i bet they can fix that but im also thinking that its not just cause of your horsepower i had djm lower control arms and my drivers side one snapped on me blazer88fastnlo is right your better off getting a 4 link setup you can probably use coilovers for it since your not bagged
    2009 ford fusion
    1997 bagged and body dropped suburban
    2003 yamaha road star warrior
    still got the 4 Door Love

Originally posted by blazer88FastNLo
    hey yenko, yea i probably don't know what im talking about b/c i never had a v8 s-10 but anyways, the one we had, had some f-150 leafs on it. alott stronger than the s10 ones and they still bent. i think the only way to fix that is go with 4-link or ladder bar
    What if I took the spring off and took it apart. And put it on a press. A press that you can use to press u-joints out of driveshafts or press bearings off a differential unit. I would have to probably use a torch to heat up the point were they are bent. I don't think that a torch would hurt them that much. Just bend it back to were it was before. My thinking, these springs would probably bend back with no problem. I was thinking about buying some ladder bars but I would have to remove the gas tank and get a fuel cell. I might just make my own traction bars. Ones that would be longer to go all the way to the eyelit on the spring. The end of the traction bar would go all the way to were the bushing is. This is just a idea.
    ISRA# 18696

CMA

yea make some t-bars you could bend the springs back for a temp. fix but you get on it they are gonna bend again no doubt

These would stop the springs from bending but would cause a bumpy ride. I might look into these traction bars here real soon.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=24313
    ISRA# 18696

CMA

thats the slid-a-links huh. excellent choice, some of the best out yet expensive. but sometimes it has to be expensive to keep things from breaking

It sucks but you gotta do what you gotta do to be able to play. Or run with the big boys. Hot Rodding is a never ending storing. Fix one area and another area is needing attention. Hell, I spend more time fixing things than I do driving it. And that sucks a big one. Guess I need to start paying someone else to do my work...NOT. Hehe, then I will have to do it twice to get it right the second time. :bigthumb:
    ISRA# 18696

CMA

Let me know if you get those t-bars Yenko and what you think about them. Those are the exact same ones I want to put on my blazer when I get it up and running. I'm going to be running pretty close to 450 hp too, so I'd like to know how they work out for you.

Thats what both of my 3" belltech drop springs look like.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley
    Go before show any day of the week.

Yenko and ZZ4 can you guys please make some short video clips of your trucks ripping up the streets? its been awhile since i've seen a REAL truck take to the streets....

Not too many people can brag about shredding and blowing up parts like a V8 monster can, how many imports do you know of that can say they've blown up there Diff or there tranny... and those are common for us!
    MY BLAZER IS FOR SALE - CHECK THE CLASSIFIEDS

$3000 O.B.O

its not that comon if you have em built right. lol
    Originally posted by bigjsp
    :rolleyes:

Ba - bup - pa pa da dang ga dang dang yi dip ti ta dip - blue moon

shoo be do wop!

Just picture your grandparents "bumping uglies" in the back seat of a 57 chevy

I didn't see how long your traction bars were but I had problems bending springs with a set of slapper style traction bars that lift about 5 inchs short of the eyelet. I bought some steel and extended them so the rubber snubber lifts directly on the eyelet of the spring. I also installed U-bolts the go over top of the spring to preload the snubber nearer the eyelet to prevent that initial slap. I'll try to get a picture and send it tommorrow. They are cheap to build but hang real low and are an obvious performance indicator if you are going for the sleeper approach.

If you go the ladder bar route, build or buy them with a safety loop around the front rod end, if it breaks you are in for a hell of a ride.

The 4 bar is so much more superior. I had actually had a four link w/ coilovers setup on my super comp dragster and I kept adjusting it even after it was hooking up in order to tune the way it left the line. Gained about 0.03 hundreds in 60 ft w/ no motor changes.