Thread: 4-5 or 5-6 rubbing?

4-5 or 5-6 rubbing?

I finally have a job again so i can fork out the cash for my jimmy. I'm gonna go ahead and get the drop out of the way, but i really don't have a way to drop 2 grand on new wheels and tires yet. Any 2nd Gens with either a 4-5 or 5-6 drop know how the stock wheels and tires fit? i'm thinking they may rub, but i want to know if it's gonna be something i can remedy easily till i get the money for wheels.

My S-10 fleet is gone... s10blazed's Avatar
    What size stock tires are on yours? (there is more than 1 stock size)

anything up to a 215/65/15 should work alright at 5/6. You might get a small amount of rubbing but it won't be anything to worry about.

I got the same question. I have a 2001 jimmy that was in the shop saturday. He tried lowering it, but one of the parts was different and didnt fit cause my truck is an SLT. So he is gunna finish wensday when he gets the new part. Anyways it is lowered 2/4" right now and is alot lower than stock, i love how it looks. But by looking at it im very afraid im not gunna be able to take corners well cause i might have some rub. I hope i can get rims within the next 2 months, but im only 17 and working part time. So I have to live with what i have for now. Ill post some pics if you guys want, it looks sweet. But I guess i will see how it does when i get it back thursday or friday. Im praying ill be able to drive it on stock rims and tires for awhile at least...
    2001 GMC Jimmy --
    Bagged up front and waiting for a 4-link for the rear. Dropped 6" in the rear.
    18" Eagle Alloy 212's
    Shaved Roof Rack
    Grill Craft Sport Grill

------------------------------------------------
    Chad
    X-10 Customs
    Webmaster &
    Orange County Member
    X-10 Customs : SoCal

Forgot to add.......When finished it will be 4/5" drop with a c-notch.
    2001 GMC Jimmy --
    18" Eagle Alloy 212's
    Shaved Roof Rack
    Grill Craft Sport Grill

Chad
    X-10 Customs
    Webmaster &
    Orange County Member

draggin rocker member clean n low 84's Avatar
    desert blazer what size tires do you have? i dont think you'll rub unless you got some bubble tires on your feet.
    DRAG THAT SHIT!!!

My SSM profile, drop a tag!

I dont know alot of about tires and stuff but this is what i read off the wall of the tire:

Performance Radial G/T

p235/70R15 1025

I was running on bald tires from alot of freeway driving and the rainy season was on its way so I had to get some rear traction. I knew i was gunna be lowering it and wanted to wait and just buy rims and low pro's together and now have to spend the money then, but i had no choice. Do you think they will rub? I kinda think they will on corners and stuff. Im not sure though.
    2001 GMC Jimmy --
    18" Eagle Alloy 212's
    Shaved Roof Rack
    Grill Craft Sport Grill

Chad
    X-10 Customs
    Webmaster &
    Orange County Member

Good news dude, got my jimmy back and its dropepd 4/5" and I don't rub. I don't scrape in anything either, or so far. The only time their is time rub with my stock rims and tires is when i crank the wheel to the very limit, like in a narrow u-turn. But I dont make those hardly anyways. I can still turn around and culdesacks and stuff with no problem. So all my worries are gone now and hopefully yours will be too. It really isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I thought my frame would scrape on speed bumps and stuff since all blazers frames stick way out torwards the rear. But so far, so good. I STRONGLY recommend a c-notch though. Or else you will be feeling every medium-large ditch, bump, or crack in the road by your frame hitting the axle or something back there. Mine is going back in friday to get that done and finished. Then i shouldn't rub, scrape, or bottom out at all. Good luck...............
    Chad
    2001 GMC Jimmy --
    18" Eagle Alloy 212's
    Shaved Roof Rack
    Grill Craft Sport Grill

Chad
    X-10 Customs
    Webmaster &
    Orange County Member

Thanks for all the help. I don't know right off what tires i'm running, and i'm too lazy to go outside and look. i'm sure it'll be okay.. as soon as i make a little progress on the jimmy, i'll post some pics.

desertblazer
    you got any pics of the truck with 4/5 on stockers?
    plz post them up or email them to me trillazzblazer@yahoo.com

thanks man

yeah ill get them on here as soon as possible. My computer is down right now so im using a friends. Ill get it running and take some new pics. Just got my grill, taillights, guages, exhaust too. But ill get some of the drop with the stock tires too.

or check out my page for updates, ill be posting alot of pictures on here:

Desertblazers Page
    2001 GMC Jimmy --
    18" Eagle Alloy 212's
    Shaved Roof Rack
    Grill Craft Sport Grill

Chad
    X-10 Customs
    Webmaster &
    Orange County Member

I finally got some shots of my truck. I took them after I washed my truck even though it was about to rain. I was taking it to the local cruise nights. But I think you can get the idea of what it looks like. Enjoy.......
    Chad

My Truck
    2001 GMC Jimmy --
    18" Eagle Alloy 212's
    Shaved Roof Rack
    Grill Craft Sport Grill

Chad
    X-10 Customs
    Webmaster &
    Orange County Member

Aww, dude... thanks a lot. Now you got me debating again whether I want to go ahead and do the drop or finish off my stereo. Oh.. wait.. i still have to get a job. Serously though, lookin really good. And it doesn't even look too bad with the stock wheels and tires for now. That makes me feel better cause I'm gonna be in the same boat for a while. One question: it looks like the back is still a little higher than the front, even with the 5" drop in back. How much difference is the wheel well gap between the front and back? Thanks for all your help so far, and keep it comin.

Oh yeah, and if you can, when you take the better pics, try to get some of the notch. Thanks.

I know it only takes a minute to measure, but i gotta get to bed. I got school tomorrow. But I will measure it tomorrow. Sometimes i think it does sit like an inch higher still and sometimes it looks like it doesnt. Maybe it depends on how ful my gas tank is, lol. But i will check that out for you tomorrow and let you know.

And I would take pictures of the notch, but that means i have the jack up my truck and take the wheels off just for a picture. I should be getting rims within like 2 weeks i hope so maybe i can get some shot of the notch when i put the new rims on. Sorry, but i work and have school so that doesnt leave me much time to get that pic for you right now.

I hope I helped you guys a little. It rides good though. I almost never ever hit frame anymore with the notch and never have scraped even on steep driveways and big speed bumps. Of course i take them super slow just cause. It rides a little bouncy, but still smooth. No more body roll on corners and stuff, i love it. The tires have only rubbed a tiny bit when i try sharp u-turns, so until i get rims im avoiding those for now. But So far so good. Ill keep you guys posted....
    2001 GMC Jimmy --
    18" Eagle Alloy 212's
    Shaved Roof Rack
    Grill Craft Sport Grill

Chad
    X-10 Customs
    Webmaster &
    Orange County Member