Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: performance mods

performance mods

what are some good performance mods that i can do to my 4.3L TBI that do not cost a whole lot

K&N makes one of their AIRCHARGER units for the TBI...its like 170
    then
    you can get a power stack...basically makes your TBI unit higher & increases air velocity in the intake...thats like 60 bucks
    you could get a whipple twin screw supercharger for 3500 bucks
    or get a high flow TBI unit for 200 or so
    '92 S-10
    Vortec 4.3L CPI engine
    MSD ignition control unit
    ACCEL wires & components
    BLAZIN it down the streets of Bellmore

MTX/Rockford Fosgate system
    280 watts of sub-pumpin power
    400 watts rippin those highs and mids
    all faced by a Pineer DEHP4100

are there any places on the internet that sale those things

yeah
    www.summitracing.com

they sell the TBI unit, the power stack, supercharger, AND the aircharger unit too (i believe)

everything is on their site...even more than whats in the catalogs
    '92 S-10
    Vortec 4.3L CPI engine
    ACCEL wires & components

thanks for the info man

argve
    Don't forget the upgrade to the ingintion system, it's a fairly cheap upgrade for the power gain. I am using the MSD 6AL picked it up for $170 from Summit, but you can use the MSD 6A for a little less, the only difference is the AL has an RPM limiter feature so that you can't over rev your engine. Just my 2 cents...

what are all the parts you need to upgrade your ignition system

argve

Smile

In order to upgrade your ignition system to a MSD ( Multiple Spark Discharge ) get yourself either a MSD 6A or 6AL, a high output ignition coil, and if you got the extra change a set of low impedance plug wires. The only difference between the 6A and the 6AL system is the AL system has a rev limiter.

I use the 6AL system just as a back up so that if something happens it will shut the engine down at 6000 rpm. I don't forsee this happening since I have a auto trans but you never know. How this happens is they skip firing some of the cylinders to keep the engine at the 6000 RPM level. It will then fire those next time around and skip another set to keep the cylinders from loading up with unburnt fuel.

The system basically works like this, when your coil is told to fire, the MSD steps in and tells it to fire three times instead of just once , to help burn all of the fuel, ( more energy released from same amount of air fuel mixture, hence more power and mileage ). Now when you reach, if I remember correctly either 3 or 4000 RPMs they cannot get three hits in during the time allowed at TDC. So at this rpm and above it just fires for 20 degrees of crankshaft rotation. Which is still longer than the factory systems light up the spark plug. Your mileage and power both increase with this system. I made no changes in how I drive and no other mods when I installed the system, so that I could test what the effects were from the MSD. I installed a MSD 6AL, adjustable timing control, and MSD blaster coil. My mileage increased on average of 1.3 to 2.1 MPG and it made a difference that you can FEEL. I don't worry about 1/4 mile times because I drive on the road not the race track, but it made a big difference in acceleration.

You don't need the adjustable timing controller unless you are going to lugging the engine down, ie towing. I tow a 3500 lbs boat so this was important to me so that I could retard the timing when the engine is starting to spark knock from the added load. The system made me believer the first time I towed after doing the install. It actually made this vehicle something I don't mind using for towing. I normally tow with my diesel, but now I can use the blazer. Which is more parking lot friendly on the busy days at the lake...

Spark plugs just use what ever is available, racers will tell you there is no difference in plugs, no gain in the split fires or anything of that nature, just index your spark plugs.

I will be installing a set of MSD wires in the next month, and will let you know what effect it has on my system. I will try to time my 0-60 times before and after on the same day, on the same section of road. The MSD wires that I am looking at are the 40-50 ohms per foot ones... sounds good on paper, but we will see...

Now for the installation... MSD did a great job at packaging their system, the included everything that I needed to perform the install except for tools and sealant. Great job... They included the wire connectors, wire ties, screws, and shock mounts. You basically cut the wires going to your ignition coil, and wire the MSD controller in series with coil. The controller has 2 wires that connect from the factory ignition controller, then 2 wires that connect to the coil. Then wire in power to the battery and ground the MSD. Took me longer to figure out where to mount the system than to wire it... I have very little room under the hood on my '95. You can use your stock coil, and stock wires. Don't change the gap of your spark plugs, it should not buy you anything with a larger gap. Just remember to put a sealant on the wire connectors to protect them from the elements. Helps keep a good connection for a few years longer.

I think I covered it all...

argve
    Almost forgot...

The MSD systems will work with 4, 6 or 8 cylinders, they have 2 sets of wires under a cover that you cut depending on if it's a 4 or 6... Can't remember which one it is that you cut for a 6, but it's in the instructions, and if you cut the wrong one... just pull out the wire and solder it together. We took a MSD off of a buddies Jimmy 4.3l and installed it on his new dodge ram V8, just soldered the wire back together and works like a charm....

Man, Someone likes their msd. Haha, I didn't notice a huge difference until I installed my edel 750, and the rest of my upgraded fuel system.
    Hold my hammer while I nail your girlfriend

ill vouch for the MSD myself
    ive got the 6a, and i noticed a hell of a difference after i installed it:
    truck starts like a breeze
    idles smoother
    accelerates awesome

i also put in the MSD blaster coil....for maximum spark

and i put 8.8mm accel racing wires in....they have real low resistivity (which is gud)
    '92 S-10
    Vortec 4.3L CPI engine
    ACCEL wires & components

How much does that MSD system cost? I could use something nifty and high-tech like that, rather than my ghetto cold-air intake (made from parts bought at home depot) and saying that weighing 270lbs puts more weight on the rear wheels for a better launch.
    But then if a home depot cold air intake and my fat ass are my only mods, I probalby can't afford an MSD...
    1990 Blazer 2wd 2dr. Needs power, paint, and a drop.

MSD 6a ignition module - $130
    MSD Blaster Ignition Coil - $38
    Splitfire Plugs - $18
    ACCEL cap & rotor - $40
    ACCEL 8.8mm wires - $45
    '92 S-10
    Vortec 4.3L CPI engine
    ACCEL wires & components

That doesn't need electronic ignition, does it? Cuz I've seen all sorts of neat ignition stuff but I've got an oldschool mechanical distributor... :(

Otherwise, the price isn't so bad. My spindles and blocks cost about the same. Plus I've already got 8mm wires and bosch platinum plugs, and they're fairly new.
    1990 Blazer 2wd 2dr. Needs power, paint, and a drop.

Err wait duh of course it's for mechanical distributors. Otherwise you wouldn't list the cap and rotor...

I'm a sharp one :p