Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Converting from 4wd to 2wd

Hybrid View

D n C Kustoms

Converting from 4wd to 2wd

I have heard a lot of people telling others that converting a 4wd to a 2wd cant be done but that is not true.

This is what you have to do. Go to a Salvage yard find a set of control arms off a 2wd. (these can also be purchased new for betwen 250 and 350 a side) A salvage yard will sell the whole set up for $200. Then you buy a set of drop spindles. These can be purchased through Belltech, DJM, Chassis Tech, and Ground Force. Thes can cost from 100-300 a set. The hardest part to the whole job is Fabricating a spring perch on the frame. Its not that bad though. you do have to remove the torsion bar. In my particular project after I received all the parts wich took me a day because I own an accessory shop, the project it self took me 3 hours and now Have a respectable 2wd blazer that is dragging frame thanks to an air ride technologies 3 link in the rear with 2600# easy street air bags all the way around.

So for all of you telling people it cant be done It can. It does cost more then the torsion bar trick, But as for the look of the Blazer it just looks a lot cleaner. The biggest benefeit in my eyes is that the front tires are no out of camber at all. All I had to do was have it realligned. Any other questions PM me Pictures of the project will be up soon.

so when i get the ocntrol arms what are they reaplcing ? and what do i have to remove for them to fit in??

sounds like a good plan if you plan on baggin it my only question is do you need 2wd wheels for the front now? since 4wd and 2wd have different offsets
    2009 ford fusion
    1997 bagged and body dropped suburban
    2003 yamaha road star warrior
    still got the 4 Door Love

im getting arms from a pinto. drop spindles are cheap and brake upgrades are abundant. much easier to find junkd pinto then a 2wd pickup or blaze

dont you have to get rid of the axel up front also??

Is it the upper or lower control arm or both on the 4x4 that is different than the ones on the 2 wheel drive?
    "if its not shaved..i dont want it"

D n C Kustoms
    Ok lets see if I can answer some questions here first off the control arms are a direct replacement. The difference between the 2wd and 4wd control arms is the lower control arm it is longer. Yes you have to get rid of all 4wd items up front and T.C. The Great thing about converting to 2wd is that you can now pick from a lot more wheels but to answer your question I honestly dont know if you can use the 4wd wheels after the conversion havent tried it yet. The Idea of the pinto control arms is great but where I am from 2wd pickups are easy to find. But Great Idea anyway. Any other ?'s pm me or post them here I am on frequently. Another piece of info for you Blazer Lovers I run an Accessory shop Here in Maine Called DC Kustoms I specialize in S-Series and Small truck and SUV parts and accessories. PM me For any needs you may Have. Web site will be up and going shortly. Picks of stuff done and an online catalog will be available there.
    -Kris

where about in maine im in mass but close to NH and souther maine once i get my trannie rebiult and have my hydros hopefully this spring we can meet up
    2009 ford fusion

D n C Kustoms
    Sounds Cool I am looking to Get an S-club together in new england. I am 10 minutes from portland. shop is 20 minutes from portland. Name is Kris.

im mike i would love to know of an s-10 club im the only minitrucker in my town and it sucks
    2009 ford fusion

D n C Kustoms
    Well As far as minitruckers here there are not many but I know of a few. Let me know what you think and lets get some people together. Clubs mean lots of fun and Lots of burning rubber. Ha ha. you can IM me At wickeds10ss

wut is a spring perch anywayz? a thing thats gunna hold the springs in place?

D n C Kustoms
    Thats what a spring perch is just a bracket that welds onto the frame and holds the spring in place.

God
    what i wanna know is how the hell did you get them to bolt up, i went to my local yard and looked at 2wd blazers, the 2wd is not even close to bolting up to a 4x4 frame. what year is your car?

D n C Kustoms
    1989 I was told by a friend at the local salvage yards that some cases you have to use the two wheel drive control arm mounts.