Thread: Cant remove leaf spring center bolt

Cant remove leaf spring center bolt

ARGGHH. Im trying to pull a leaf on my 1990 Jimmy and I can't get the center bolt out of the leaf on either side. When I goto unbolt it from the bottom , the top spins. So I put some vice grips on it but it still spins (on the tighest I can go with the vice grips) Can someone help me out on how I can unbolt these ??

Lemme go look at mine and see if I can figure it out... It is out in my field it'll be about 10 minuts...

Ok heres the plan I assume you already have the spring pack out. If you don't just torch off the U Bolts they are cheap enough. Then jack the truck up by the frame near the back and go on and take out the spring pack I'd pull the shackle with it. Now do remove that center-bolt I just hit it really hard with a hammer and shear off the bolt and nut. Go to your local parts store or suspension store and buy the right centerbolts and nuts. If you plan on de-arching them yourself it is an easy task. Once you remove the centerbolt the leaves will fall apart then just beat them with a hammer to de arch them. While you are getting u-bolts you could get some longer ones so you can put blocks in it... I hope this has helped...
    88 S10 Blazer - Work In Progress 360 hp 350/TH400 coming soon....

umm, why don't you use the vise grips, get them hella tight, i know you said they are as tight as you can go, but get them real tight, use a breaker bar and a socket, and lay your spring pack on its side, put the breaker bar on, so when you yank on your vise grips, the breaker bar hits the ground, try that, or yea, just cut them, you can use a normal bolt and nut set up too...
    85 4x4
    dropped 5" back 7" front
    bumpy as hell
    i stole this:
    "up with mini skirts down with mini trucks"

Screw it...im too pissed off. Im just gonna see if someone will trade me 4" blocks for my 3" blocks

Clamp the spring together, and grind off the bolt. Goto Crappy Tire and buy some grade 5 bolts, and then grind the bolt heads into a circle so it will fit in your blocks. Take out a leaf. Reassemble them and tighten the hell out of 'em. There you go. That is how I did mine, and it worked awsome.
    '87 Jimmy, Caddy Deville tail lights, frenched lic plate, smoothie steel rollpan, phantom grill, 425 HP V8 conversion in the process and all the goodies to go with it
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/ogg2001

nah man im too pissed...id rather do a good job of it and just get some 4" blocks

Vice grip on the top pin. wrench on the bottom nut.

Go to the hardware store & buy a allen head bolt (which are round head and taller than a regular bolt). There is a certain size that fits perfect in the block.
    DFWminis.com
    AIM s/n Dragginblazer

Originally posted by ogg2001
    Clamp the spring together, and grind off the bolt. Goto Crappy Tire and buy some grade 5 bolts, and then grind the bolt heads into a circle so it will fit in your blocks. Take out a leaf. Reassemble them and tighten the hell out of 'em. There you go. That is how I did mine, and it worked awsome.
    thats exactly what i did.. but even with my 4cyl i get bad wheel hop.. so its better that you didnt do it..
    WWW.HAGGARDFAB.COM

//NC\\
    Negative Camber