Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Truck Lowered....Brakes Werid????

Truck Lowered....Brakes Werid????

I got my 2001 GMC Jimmy SLT dropped 4/5". They used spindles, springs, blocks, and leafs I think. Then I got a c-notch put on it. It rides good, looks great and im happy with it. But my brakes have beena cting strange lately. I usually have very touchy brakes with only about 3 inches of pedal. But after i got it dropped the brake occasionally goes about half way to the floor. And yesturday went all the way to the floor. Its scaring the hell outta me. And it does it at weird times too like when im more on a down hill slope. Or my heavier friend was in my front seat and it did it. So im thinking maybe it has something to do with the front brakes. i was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else. Or if it has or you know whats wrong or how to fix it. My dad said that it might be because the brake proportioning valve needs to be adjusted. he said they have to do that on porsches and stuff when they lower those. But i drive a gmc for god sakes so i dont know whats wrong or what i can do. Its a 2001 and the brake pads are a little bit low i think. They havent been replaced since i got it brand new. So any help would be appreciated......Thanks
    2001 GMC Jimmy --
    Bagged up front and waiting for a 4-link for the rear. Dropped 6" in the rear.
    18" Eagle Alloy 212's
    Shaved Roof Rack
    Grill Craft Sport Grill

------------------------------------------------
    Chad
    X-10 Customs
    Webmaster &
    Orange County Member
    X-10 Customs : SoCal

Doesnt look like this supernova's Avatar
    check and make sure no break lines are in the way of the suspension

ditto. my brake lines were being kinked when the wheels were turned almost all the way.

I used to have a Nissan that I dropped in high school, and I kinked the lines up pretty bad...man was that a learning experience or what...
    COP- "Kid, your speech is sluring badly, have you been drinking?" KID- "Occifer, your eyes are glazed, you been eatin' doughnuts?"

When I lowered my blazer with 2 inch spindles and 3 inch coils I had to route the ABS line on the outside of the upper control arm. It orginally was routed on the underside. If I had left it that way it would have kinked the line. Just a thought. But like the others have stated have a look underneath while someone else turns the wheel lock to lock.

Sounds like there is a loss of pressure. Check to make sure a fitting did not come loose or they didn't accidently put a hole in a steel line with the grinder when lowering the back.
    I'm a black ninja motherfucker!

Well i called she shop and im gunna drop by tomorrow so they can check it out. Ill be sure to bring up some of the things you guys said, so thanks alot for your help. I really appreciate it. When the brake lines get kinked do they have to be replaced?
    2001 GMC Jimmy --
    18" Eagle Alloy 212's
    Shaved Roof Rack
    Grill Craft Sport Grill

Chad
    X-10 Customs
    Webmaster &
    Orange County Member

Originally posted by supernova
    check and make sure no break lines are in the way of the suspension
    word i'd check it.
    Im2Drunk2C: well bro i gotta run, work time
    Im2Drunk2C: later
    B o I k 2 0: alright
    B o I k 2 0: before you go tho
    B o I k 2 0: I love you
    Im2Drunk2C: awwww
    Im2Drunk2C: <3

if the lines kink enough times, they'll collapse. i had to replace mine. if it's possible, try and find some steel braided ones, they'll hold up better.

Well i took the truck into the shop today and me and the guy took the front wheels off and couldnt find anything wrong. He really inspected it too. We didnt check the back cause I could have sworn it was a problem in the front. But if it keeps acting up then i will check the back myself now that I know what to look for. The guy who checked it has a bagged s-10. He said his ABS was being stupid and annoying him after he bagged his truck. So he finally just disconnected the ABS system. I think ill leave mine in though since i dont seem to have that much of a problem. But thanks to everyone who posted up on here. I'll still keep my eye out for problems. And I finally got pics of my truck so if you wanna check it out then go to:

My Truck
    2001 GMC Jimmy --
    18" Eagle Alloy 212's
    Shaved Roof Rack
    Grill Craft Sport Grill

Chad
    X-10 Customs
    Webmaster &
    Orange County Member

Banned
    Not only also make sure none of your brake lines are kinked in any way.. You need to also just go ahead and get your brakes bleed again.. It sounds to me that there is a air pocket in one of the lines somewhere.. Either you bleed em or have someone do it.. It easier to do if 2 people do it.. One pump the brakes and hold.. Someone be down at the hubs releaseing the fluid and the tightening it back.. Reverseing it till the pedal is at the top and not feeling spoungie..

maybe try putting pads on and bleeding the lines....just a thought

You might want to check your caliper bolts hitting the control arms on a turn. This will drop your pedal to the floor by compressing the caliper piston. It tends to be scary I found this to be my problem on my 01 x blazer after I dropped it. Everyhting looked OK but you really have to look for marks on the control arms or the caliper. I work for a chevy dealer I have also had 2 other blazers that werent lowered but had internal problems with the master cylinder. Let me know if you find any thing.

I have a 5/6 drop on my X and I never had a prob until I had a notch installed. What kind of notch did you put in the back. I had the same problem after I had my 2.5" bolt in notch installed. What was happening, was that the notch was not flush with the frame and when I locked right/left the body roll was causing the notch to rub/hit on the brakes. You could see where the notch was scrapping the caliper. I had the notch trimmed/grounded down a liitle and then welded in and haven't had a prob since.
    You will also want to flip/bleed your rear brake lines.
    Last edited by kanderson63; 02-02-2003 at 04:53 PM.

I have a C-notch. I haven't taken my back wheels off yet to check it out, but that sounds like it could be the problem. I have the day off tomorrow so i will check it out. WHat should i look for? When i took the fronts wheels i checked to see if the lines were kinked or if the wheels were pulling on them when turned. They looked good though. But thanks for your help cause thay really could be the problem. Ill check them as soon as possible and get back to you.
    2001 GMC Jimmy --
    18" Eagle Alloy 212's
    Shaved Roof Rack
    Grill Craft Sport Grill

Chad
    X-10 Customs
    Webmaster &
    Orange County Member