Thread: 4 Wheel drive to 2 Wheel drive conversion

Ultra Flat Black Member 88S10_Blazer's Avatar

4 Wheel drive to 2 Wheel drive conversion

i was wondering if anyone knows what has to be done to convert my 88 S10 blazer from 4 wheel to 2 wheel drive. anything you can tell me would be a great help

2 words: Frame swap

I've done a couple 4WD<->2WD conversions.

The 1st one, I used a '83 S-10 pickup front frame clip and grafted it to the '87 4WD Blazer frame. Paid $200 for the POS donor truck then spent 3-4 maybe 5 days measuring... cutting... grinding.. welding... modifying... and then installing the narrower pickup rearend. LOTS OF WORK!

I recently swapped the frame on a really nice '85 4WD. Bought a '91 2WD Blazer that had been lightly rolled. It had the complete, good running 4.3 / 700R4 drivetrain and was $550 but did not include the interior. Swapped the body in a weekend but spent another week getting the electronics sorted out. MUCH EASIER..

There's also guys that rip out all the 4WD stuff, then run air bag suspension. Also somebody had been working on upper control arms to that bolt-up to a 4WD chassis but I don't know if it's been done. ALSO LOTS OF WORK..

Now that I've been fooling with the Blazers in the last year, I got smart. I kept my eye open and finally found an 88 2WD. It only has 70,000 miles, no rust, original paint, matienance records, plain jane model (already sorta shaved) for $1085. THE EASIEST........
    Originally posted by Blazin Low:
    In 1972 a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire Tony Low
    :D

Ultra Flat Black Member 88S10_Blazer's Avatar
    alright, thanks. since i don't have the income for a new truck, i think i'm gonna go with a body swap. thanks