Thread: how do you remove front bumper

Snow Sucks

Question how do you remove front bumper

how do you remove the front bumper on a 1998 gmc jimmy, is it difficult and is there any special tools i need
    1998 blazer 4 door, black, lowered 3 back 2 front, street scene mirrors, eagle alloy 077 18's, xenon body kit, painted dash and components, 2 jl audio w3 15's and a crossfire 1000d amp

hey i just removed the front bumper on my 84 s-10 so i dunno if its any different for you.....but its pretty easy.....
    - take off the bumper molding if you have it
    - take out the screws from the plastic air dam thats below the bumper
    - remove the valance ( i dont think you have to, but its easier to reach some screws)
    - take off the screws on each end of the bumper that connect it to support rods. 2 screws total.
    - take off the screws that are under the bumper molding in the center of the bumper ( 2 screws)
    - take off the remaining screws right under the last 2 screws. ( 2 screws)

that should be everything if i remember right......and you have a different year and model but hopefully everythings the same.......lemme know if i helped out at all....
    oh yah, you might wanna put a pad or somthing under the bumper cuz when i got the last screw out it fell and got scratched up even though a new bumper was going on.

oh yah no special tools either, flat blade screw driver, some sockets and a socket wrench, maybe a socket wrench extended to get some leverage on ur bolts if there rusty like mine were. GOOD LUCK

Snow Sucks
    thanks, i just got a xenon body kit for my blazer and i want to put it on tomorrow get it all squared away
    1998 blazer 4 door, black, lowered 3 back 2 front, street scene mirrors, eagle alloy 077 18's, xenon body kit, painted dash and components, 2 jl audio w3 15's and a crossfire 1000d amp

i got a 98 jimmy... to take the cover off, you have to push each side of it (right where it meets the fenders) back, then undo the little tabs on top and bottom that hold it on. then, if you look down between the reinforcement and the radiator grill, you can see some bolts holding it to the frame on each side. then undo the side support brackets. nothin to it.
    "The truth is you could slit my throat, and with my one last gasping breath, I'd apologize for bleeding on your shirt." --TBS

Snow Sucks
    thanks thats helps me out alot
    hey if you can send me some pictures of your jimmy
    deftones_989@hotmail.com

no pics yet, mostly because from the outside, it looks pretty much stock. i haven't had a steady job for a few months now, so funding has been a little low. i can still take a pic, but it'll have to be daytime and after i wash it.
    "The truth is you could slit my throat, and with my one last gasping breath, I'd apologize for bleeding on your shirt." --TBS

Wykkid Member
    To jack a bumper on a 2nd gen Blazer, Jimmy, Bravada, S10, Sonoma or even an Astro van, you need an adjustable 1'' wrench, a GatorGrip universal socket, a 3/8'' ratchet, a prybar, five minutes, and a friend. The bumper is held on with four long bolts. Take em out, and use the prybar to convince the bumper that it wants to come with you. Pry against the mount, not the grille. You'll bust that grille like it was a virgin on prom night. *pop* It comes off pretty quick after you've figured it out. Just don't do it on the street your first time. You'll get your but slammed in jail. Try it a couple times on your own S10. After a while you'll be able to jack an S10 bumper in ten minutes, no problem. Not that I jack S10 bumpers, it's just that I know how.