Thread: $800 for a convertor?

Ridin' Stock

$800 for a convertor?

I went to get my exhaust on yesterday and they told me that my catalytic convertor is bad. They said with parts and labor it would be around $800 :confused: I know it's a OBD II convertor but I didn't think they would be that much. I was wondering if anyone knows where I could find an OEM one online for lower than $500. They said they can get them for around 500 but at a dealer I would pay 750. Why would it cost so much more if it just has a port for an O2 senor? If someone could point me in the right direction that would help. Thanks in advance.
    Who is your daddy and what does he do?

why do you want an oem one? youll be looking at well over $500 just for the cat if you want one from a dealer.alot people just get a $50 catco converter right before they have to pass emissions and remove after they pass it then replace it with a straight pipe because aftermarket cats dont last long and youll need it in good shape if you want to pass emissions again. i never heard of o2 sensors that mount IN the cat but o2 sensor bungs can be welded into the exaust pipes relatively easily. if you are worried about the enivorment then pay the 800 bux thats your only options besides gambling with a used one

Ridin' Stock
    Well the O2 sensor isn't "in" the cat. It's on the pipe coming out of the cat, but it's still considered part of it. I would just buy a cheap $50 dollar one but I have no way of changing it. I don't have any ramps, my 255's are too big for the ramps we have at my house. I am thinking about taking it up to my friends shop. He's got 2 lifts in his shop. Thanks for pointers.

Edit: Ohh yes, I am a tree-hugger. :rofl:
    Who is your daddy and what does he do?

Just Replaced my Cat..

Hey deltree

I got the same quote that you got when I was in Miami Fl in
    December I went to a chevy dealer because my truck had this
    rattle coming from the undercarriage.. I was told it would be
    $800 for P+L. The dealer acted that my truck would explode if
    I didn't do it right then. (As they usually do) Anyway went home
    the next day and ordered an aftermarket one from truck performance.com. Couple weeks later I put it on...

Heres the link for the part: http://www.truckperformance.com/vehi...TIONS&sf4=4.3L

(the part is from a company called carsound)

anyway it bolts right on after taking the stock Cat off. Which took
    forever on mine.. AFter that it was relatively easy. Although the aftermarket cat seemed to be a bit too close to the crossmember I haven't had any problems with rattles..

Boom!! spend $200 + shipping and a day of installing it and
    you save 600!!

BTW: the old stock cat was the reason I had rattles before...
    The inside of the cat had all of these pieces of crap (the inside
    was corroded and was rattling against the outside metal "skin"...
    Just thought I would share since I was really baffled about where
    the rattle was coming from...

I have a 4WD 95 Blazer...If it helps..

Oh and for just general knowledge completly taking a cat off a truck/car is actually a crime in a lot of places...(I've been told)

ALSO... Use anti-seize compound on the threads on the O2 sensor
    if you replace it..(Or you 'll never get it off again!)
    4.3L Vortec, MSD Ignition,
    Pioneer Sound system,
    Power Pulleys, JBA EVOL exhaust,
    Carsound High-Flow Cat
    K&N Filtercharger Intake

Beer,Its whats for dinner Paraquat's Avatar
    wow, thats the same rattling my cat makes.It also tends to maek a percolating sound sometimes...
    Summer, when I drop the engine in. Thats when I change up everything.

--Steve
    I hate my truck.

same thing here....

FOR MONTHS I'VE HAD A RATTLE UNDERNEATH MY BLAZER, FINALLY A FEW WEEKS BACK WITH IT UP ON JACKSTANDS (so i could actually get my head under it) I JUST STARTED KNOCKING STUFF WITH MY HAND AND WHEN I HIT THE CAT SURE ENOUGH, :::RATTLES:::
    I WENT THURSDAY TO ASK ABOUT FIXING IT AND TOLD ME LIKE 160 FOR A NEW CAT PROBABLY...? I WANTED A STRAIGHT PIPE OF COURSE BUT HE SAID ON A 96 HE THINKS IT WOULD HAVE THE SENSOR BEHIND THE CAT AND WE COULDN'T DO THAT?
    ANYWAYS, THE TRUCK IS GETTING BAGGED RIGHT NOW SO WHENEVER I GET IT BACK, THATS FIRST ON MY "TO DO LIST".. B/C THAT RATTLE GETS ON MY FRIGGIN NERVES!!
    later
    mikey
    96 4 door- Shaved, Flamed, Layed. 20" Billet Specialties, in the process of stock floor bodydropping and dropping in a 305... to be continued

thats wierd because i was told by my mechanic(hes family so i trust him) that its against the law if you use anything other than an OEM cat and you have to have it proffessionally installed. and the fines like 5,000 if you dont do it like that. But hey if you dont get caught it aint against the law. BTW i got my cat installed for 150 including everything. so you might wanna look for a mufler shop to do it.
    Originally posted by bigjsp
    :rolleyes:

Ba - bup - pa pa da dang ga dang dang yi dip ti ta dip - blue moon

shoo be do wop!

Just picture your grandparents "bumping uglies" in the back seat of a 57 chevy

well...

well luckily i live down here in ALABAMA and emission laws aren't high up on the cops list. We have no inspections or anything to that effect. Now if i ran a straight pipe and got pulled over and the cop actually took the time to stop being an A$$ and look at my exhaust, he could fine me, (most wouldn't they would just warn me and write a ticket for something else) And when i had my camaro most shops i talked with would gladly install a straight pipe instead of a cat at 5:01 pm -- when the garage doors closed lol . So yes its illegal, but u can get away with it down here.
    But like i said, the guy thursday said I Cannot run a straight pipe on my 96 b/c of that o2 sensor behind the cat. Anybody know for sure??
    mike
    96 4 door- Shaved, Flamed, Layed. 20" Billet Specialties, in the process of stock floor bodydropping and dropping in a 305... to be continued

My Camaro doesn't have a cat right now. I've been pulled over without it having a cat, because it was "too loud" (MY ASS!!!!), and he wanted to look under the car, but it's like 2-4 inches off the ground...so he couldn't see shit :bigthumb:

And, he didn't want to take it to a shop...so, I drive away.

Now, hes a moron, and doesn't realise its a Camaro...with dual's...its 'posed to be loud...
    DD - 2002 GMC Sierra ECLB 5.3l 2wd *330hp, 350ftlbs at the wheels*
    Toy - 2004 Pontiac GTO 1 of 323 *too much power for a purple car*
    Project(s) - Something with two wheels.

Originally posted by (mind)KiLLeR
    Now, hes a moron, and doesn't realise its a Camaro...with dual's...its 'posed to be loud...
    AMEN!

Lightbulb More stuff on Converters..

I have been chatting with a few people and it seems
    like ALOT of mid 90's Blazers had something screwy with
    the Cat.

I didn't change my CAT right when the rattle started (cuz I
    didn't know what was causing the rattle: I was sure it
    must be a rock lodged in the undercarriage from offroading..) Anyway I noticed a pretty sizable drop in performance after driving with the rattle for a while. It accerated like crap coming onto the highway which I've never had a problem with...

I guess if I hadn't changed it probably would have caused
    alot of damage to the engine..Now i really need to change out
    my exhaust when I get some $$ and time. Its stock and getting
    old and probably clogged up from the pieces of cat that were corroded on the inside...(It was pretty gruesome when I finally
    got the old cat off and banged it against the cement and all of this crap started flying out!)

I thought about replacing my O2 sensors but I don't really want to replace them until I am sure they are bad. They are expensive
    enough that I want to know more about them before I replace them. The dealerships like to replace them after X amount of miles
    but that kind of preventive mantience can get expensive :)
    4.3L Vortec, MSD Ignition,
    Pioneer Sound system,
    Power Pulleys, JBA EVOL exhaust,
    Carsound High-Flow Cat
    K&N Filtercharger Intake

at 50 bucks a pop for boch o2 sensors, yes it can.

--Steve
    I hate my truck.

I hate cats

I'm in the process of getting the cat off my '87. I have researched a little and may be able to answer some of the questions.

It's illegal to replace the stock cat before so many years or miles, not necessarily illegal forever. I think it's 5/50,000 but that may vary state-state.

The O2 sensor controls fuel/air mixture, so eliminating the cat would mess with the sensor that plugs in after it, and may really screw up performance.

You guys in MO and AL are very lucky to not have emissions inspections. It's getting like CA out here in Vegas. Although I probably couldn't pass the other kind of inspection with no e-brake, a cracked windshield, and no wipers. (But I use wipers about once a year.)

You're also lucky to have a cat that comes off by opening the clamps. Mine is welded on, and it's hard to get a disc cutter in there to cut it off. (Almost lost a finger or two) Wish I had an OX/Acet torch! :confused:

Re: I hate cats

Originally posted by tfarris
    Wish I had an OX/Acet torch! :confused:
    Fire fixes everything

--Steve
    I hate my truck.

yeah, fire or a sawzall. Got it off last night using a hacksaw blade with no hacksaw.