Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha 1250cc (sealed) what motorcycle did it come from?

Question Yamaha 1250cc (sealed) what motorcycle did it come from?

Ok. I'm looking for a couple things. Half this stuff I'll most likely end up buying locally, but I could use some help with finding stuff online.

My plan is to build an offroad beast. Not a truck exactly. But a Go-Kart.

For the engine, I'm trying to find a Yamaha 1250cc (sealed) engine which comes out of a Legend Car (600 Racing Inc..) The thing is, there isnt much resourse online that I can find about these cars. If I do find something it's ususally just what Legend Cars are, the specs, so on and so forth. I've some what followed these cars since they first came out. The Engine (the 1250cc yamaha) comes from a motorcycle. Possiblly bored out a little bit and a couple more little mods here and there. They are mounted FR with the regular 5 up shifter/transmition and are rear wheel drive. My plan is to rear mount this engine, with rwd on a custom offroad chassis. The suspension would be top notch. If you think about those offroad racing trucks you see on esp or speed channel, thats what I'm aiming for.

I would rather have something this small vs. a truck since the truck would be so big. For those who remember them, the honda pilot (not the SUV) is what gave me this idea. Since they havent made them since the 90's it's hard to find them, why not make my own, and with a bad ass engine?

I figure this project will take at least a year to complete.

my first question is to those motorcycle fnatics out there. What motorcycle that you know of came with the sealed 1250cc yamaha engine? second do you have any recources on these bikes? The legend car makes around 120hp, but with the rules and regulations i belive they tamed them down.

Second question is do you know of a site with diagrams of the stock transmition that came with the motorcycle?

Btw, for the frame, I'm going to get a welder and build a custom tubular frame. If you have ever come accross any good diagrams of ones that work would be helpful but i'm sure I can use my dad's advice since back in the day he used to customize vdub bugs and sandrails.

The vision I have in my head is a miniture offroad tacoma ( i would even have a custom fiberglass tacoma body made.)

ANY i mean ANY help would be apreciated :)

(I tried asking this on other forums too but no luck, maybe someone on here can help me out?)

why limit yourself to that engine? why not get a wrecked street bike engine? smaller maybe but more parts and info availible for it you know?
    2009 ford fusion
    1997 bagged and body dropped suburban
    2003 yamaha road star warrior
    still got the 4 Door Love

what you need to do is get a engine out of a snowmoblie, some thing like a 800cc most of those put out around 120-160 hp. or just find a wrecked bike it something over 1000cc and swap it in. there are tones of different types of engines you could use. or you could always get an old vw bug and do that sucker up. some of those guys have like 300-400hp and out of those motors.

this snowmobile has a bike engine :huh:
    2009 ford fusion

why go for a 800cc engine when I'm going for a tuned down 1250cc? thats right, not 125, 1250. But if this doesnt work out finding the 1250, i might just get a 800cc. I really dont want to have something that I tune up to get 120hp. the way i'll use it would be the same as daily use. off road and such would be hard on an engie you know? I also want to rear mount the engine so when i go over a jump the front wont decide to drop like a rock. i'd rather land rear first.

The snow mobil engine isnt a bad idea though.

I need to find some info about the engine and how i'll have to mount it in the chassis. I dont want to build the chassis and then run into the problem of not being able to fit it in there. I dont want to build the chassis specificly for whatever engine i put in it.

what i have in mind: 600lb go cart with engine, and have 150-200 hp. Mostly tourqe though heh...

(im heavily sedated on vallium right now, damn doctors. so if im not makin much sense please forgive me.)

oh yea, another thing. The engine that comes out of the legend car is made for 4 wheels. Front mounted rear wheel drive motorcycle engine set up. Thats why im trying to gear it twards this one.

Light weight with a 2 cycle engine and clutches like a snowmobile will run unbelievably hard.

We used to have a grass drag racing snowmobile which ran in the upper 5's in the eighth. Engine Dyno'd at 105 HP weighed 188 lbs w/o driver. clutch came in at 9200rpm.

Alot of things become simpler with this setup, like all you need is a gas pedal and brakes. No clutch , no shifter

Most track records at 1/2 mile race tracks that run cars during the summer and snowmobiles in the winter are held by the snowmobiles

They made some small buggies but bigger than gokarts with snowmobile engine sort of like what you are thinking about in the 80's. I think the rollcage got people into trouble with a false sense of security.

REVERSE is going to be your bitch in either setup

In Pakistan they had some 3 cylinder 2 cycle cab over mini pickup (like the old dodge D100 ("little red wagon wheelstander") These would be cool to build but I have never seen one in the US and I'm sure they wouldn't pass emissions.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by i.1
    [B]why go for a 800cc engine when I'm going for a tuned down 1250cc? thats right, not 125, 1250. But if this doesnt work out finding the 1250, i might just get a 800cc. I really dont want to have something that I tune up to get 120hp. the way i'll use it would be the same as daily use. off road and such would be hard on an engie you know? I also want to rear mount the engine so when i go over a jump the front wont decide to drop like a rock. i'd rather land rear first.

but remeber that an 800cc snowmoblie engine is a 2 stroke. so twice as many power strokes than a 4 stroke. if you made this go kart thing about 600lbs like you are talking, an 800cc would make that sucker scream. my friend has a polaris RMK 700, and last weekend I was ripping around on it and I guned it down his road. I hit 80mph in under 4-5 seconds not to sure, but i was at the end of his road before i knew it. the only down side to a snowmoblie engine in my books is that you have no grears so you can't rip through them and all the fun stuff that comes with a manual gear box.

Originally posted by hizzity
    the only down side to a snowmoblie engine in my books is that you have no grears so you can't rip through them and all the fun stuff that comes with a manual gear box.
    That's exactly what I was feeling. I would love to get this 1250cc engine from one of these cars. 1) 5 speed. 2) 122hp WHILE detuned. 800cc engines can make 160hp (?) Then what about 450 more cc!!??!!?? I mean I'm ganna be dealing with a 1250cc motorcycle engine, that could possibly be a good 80 more hp. that's 240hp. on 600lbs. The weight to power ration might be equivlant to that of a WINGED OUTLAW. 2200lb 750hp.

My dad is kind of against this idea telling me im scuicidal and such. but he also said that when i drove our golfcart on 2 wheels for 50 feet b/c he said i couldnt do it..... Hell he was the one who put a 25hp lawnmower engine on my mini bike we got from northern lol...

I'll do some sketches of what i want this thing to look like and post them in a bit.

Junior Drag Racer
    The difference between the 800 and the 1250 is ones a two stroke. The two stroke has to power strokes in the time that a four stroke has one( i think). Plus 800 will pull a LOT higher RPMs.

I just sold my '95 CBR900RR. Stock, it is an 893cc motor, making 114 hp. With a good pipe and jet kit, you can get it up to 125 hp with no problem. The new CBR9 has a 954cc motor, fuel injected, making around 135 hp. There are some of those Legends cars around here that I have seen at some car shows and such that use CBR900 and Yamaha R1 (1000cc) motors. No modern bike that I can think of has a 1250cc motor. Maybe the Legends are allowed to buy bored/stroked motors from a builder that has built them to certain specs and "sealed" the motor. But why buy one of those motors with the "limited" hp of 120?

The cars that I have seen had the engine in a front-rear orientation as well, with a driveshaft off the output shaft where the countershaft sprocket usually goes. Didn't catch what kind of rear they were running. Just rig up some linkage and a hand lever for the standard 1 down/5 up shift ( or reverse it - 1 up/5 down), then you can shift like the Indy (or CART?) cars.

And yes, cc vs. cc, a 2-stroke motor will make more hp than a 4-stroke. A 4-stroke has more torque, which you may need with a wheeled off-road vehicle. Of course, the 2-smokes that I race with have awesome acceleration! But, in a mud race, my 4-stroke has an advantage. Just pick a gear and motor on. The 2-strokes are constantly shifting to keep "on the pipe" to keep the motor in it's powerband.
    Last edited by V8Isuzu; 02-02-2003 at 09:57 AM.
    '97 Hombre with a 357
    My web page

no modern bike? what about a gsxr hyabusa 1300ccs
    2009 ford fusion

I knew somebody would say it...

Of course there are bikes with more than 1250cc of displacement. Modern, even. Let's see...

1300cc: the 'Bus (as mentioned, 1299cc), Yamaha FJR1300 (1298cc). Honda has a 1300 sport-tourer, but it's a V4 and only 1261cc.

Since we're not talking V's or boxers here, we can't mention the Honda Valkyrie or Goldwing (1520 & 1832 cc boxer 6's, respectively), VTX 1300 (1312cc) & 1800 (1795cc), the Yamaha Royal Star (1295cc V4), Road Star Warrior (1670cc V-twin), Road Star (1606cc V-twin).

Find a bike with an advertised (or even true) displacement of 1250cc. I don't think you can do it - but I may be wrong. No problem - correct me if I am. I still stand by my original thought of a bored/stroked and then "sealed" motor built by a shop or two specifically for the Legends cars.
    Last edited by V8Isuzu; 02-02-2003 at 08:16 PM.
    '97 Hombre with a 357
    My web page

if you just want a fast go kart any snowmobile engine would work i dont understand why your stuck on this 1250cc engine
    2009 ford fusion

The reason that hes stuck on this engine is because its one of the most impressive motors ever put out by Yamaha. I race legend cars and i promise you, this motor pushes more than 120 hp, never mind the 12,000 rpm redline. Our cars weigh in at 1100 lbs dry, regulation 1350 with driver and fluid. The power to weight ratio is that of a 600 HP mustang weighing roughly 3600 lbs. This is the engine you want dude, parts are easy for it, fun to work on, doesn't break unless you run it too hot. Btw i don't recommend removing the limiter if you want the engine to have a long life. look at throwing new valves and springs in, you could run a hotter piston but ive seen buddies blow a 6 inch by 6 inch hole in the block by doing this. Your best bet is to stick with this engine, make your kart lightweight as possible, and purchase one hell of a cooling system and possibly a turbo. You will never get the smile off your face dude.