• other (please specify)

0 0%

Thread: what do you think?

what do you think?

Alright, this is for my Camaro.

I'm wondering which should I choose.

1) 383 Stroker w/ Powerglide

2) ZZ4 350 w/ Street Avenger Slap shift

Which one should I get? I've never used a Powerglide, but I hear they're better than other trannies, no clue why. I've driven slap shifts and I LOVE them...its awesome.

But, is it a 383 stroker I'm thinking about? sorry for my ignorance. But I read on an f-body site that some guy put a stroker and a powerglide in his third gen camaro (with ford 9"rear, i think), and got insane 1/4times (cant remember numer, i think low 10's or lower).

But, which do you prefer? I'm not looking to spend a mad amount of money, but I'll spend it if it'll produce the desired results.

I'm looking for a daily driver that I can DOMINATE at the track on the weekends.

Ride:
    1990 Camaro
    305 5.0l V8
    Stock tranny w/ overdrive (P R N OD D 3 2)
    DD - 2002 GMC Sierra ECLB 5.3l 2wd *330hp, 350ftlbs at the wheels*
    Toy - 2004 Pontiac GTO 1 of 323 *too much power for a purple car*
    Project(s) - Something with two wheels.

DOMINATE and drive daily! LOL.

Start reasonable, get your experience before you try to run with the big dogs. Aim for the 12'sec. range. Its faster than you think.

Start with a carburated 350/ turbo 350 or 700R4 tranny. By the time you get the correct fuel system, lineloc, rear end posi, shocks, headers, 3000 stall torque converter..... expect to spend $5 to 6000 minimum.

Power glides work well in light weight drag cars <2350 pounds w/ high stall >4000 rpm torque convertors. They are very boring to drive on the street, particulary if you are impressed with slap shifters.

to get into the 10's with a TPI 383 is something that can be done, but it'll cost you. You'll certainly have to go with a miniram, stealth ram, etc. It's very hard to get the power numbers you need to run 10's out of a factory TPI. I'm not saying it can't been done, but it's easier to acomplish wit an aftermarket intake such as those. Try this website, they've helped me out alot in my build so far http://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/

An idea my dad just threw at me: carbed 350 w/ turbo 350, then after i save up more money, get the slap shift im wanting (forget the number, but i saw it in Jegs). And later on get a project car (Blazer, cough cough), and build that up to be exactly what im wanting.

But, thats a lot of money.

Start with a carburated 350/ turbo 350 or 700R4 tranny. By the time you get the correct fuel system, lineloc, rear end posi, shocks, headers, 3000 stall torque converter..... expect to spend $5 to 6000 minimum.
    I was expecting $5-6k at least. But, why the 3k stall? I always heard to stay way from ANY kind of stall under 400 horses, but my sources may be biased.

Keep the ideas commin people, I'm extremely grateful.

here's how I look at it. You want to keep the car in it's powerband. say you've got a cam that wakes up at about 3200-3500. everytime your trans shifts you're dropping back to 2 grand or so and have to spend a precious second working your way back to where your car starts to produces the real power. a higher stall drops you back into that "magic" spot. 2500-3000 stall is about what you'd want on a street driven car, that is if you have every thing else that requires it
    Last edited by Ericoo1; 02-14-2003 at 11:15 AM.

uh-huh, that actually makes hella sense. Thanks.:D

In most instances having a looser 3000 convertor works well to allow you to pedal the gas to keep it running with a bigger cam. If you are running the 3.90 or 4.10 gears that you should be, then you will be turning 3000 RPM at 60 mph anyways, so the convertor is not really slipping. Gas milage should not even be mentioned in this conversation.

As ERICOO1 also correctly points out it don't go if it ain't in the power band.

If you want reasonable performance and gas milage >20 you need to be thinking LS1 or LT1 and lockup torque convertors or a stick. but get out your wallet and sharpen your electrical skills.