Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Anymore New Info On Raw 2nd Gen Roll Pan?

Fiberglass Fabrication EpicenterDesigns's Avatar
    Bradenton- FL........hammerin'-grindin'-sandin'-primin'
    That looks good.
    I'm interested in how you wentabout modifying the rear skirts. Gona give up that info? :D

The bitter after-taste of a poor quality job will last far longer than the sweetness of that cheap price!

Dark Side Master LayinBodyBlazer's Avatar
    did you use the s10 bedsides or did you modify the plastic ones?

Team Rockford Fosgate Member
    My Street Source Mag Page
    My MySpace Page

I wish RAW would do something quick. I got rear-ended the other day and I got some money from insurance. Now I am debating whether or not to wait till RAW sells the damn thing or just put it back to stock.

By the way, I removed the bumper and endcaps. I discovered in order to install a roll pan the frame rail will have to be cut off. Anyone with roll pans installed on their 2nd gen, what was the process in installation and all that jazz? Thanks.
    Scott H. 96 2dr Blazer, Dark Metallic Cherry Red, L35, Auto, 3/3 Drop, Orion Intake, 2.5" Flowmaster, Poweraid TB Spacer, TB Mod, EGR Mod, B&M Shift+, Booty Call Siren, Street Scene Speed Grilles, Billet Bowtie, 15.95 @ 83.67mph (AC) 3440 lbs. (Vortec Inside)

Ford: "Circling The Problem"

He modified the plastic ones. I started on mine today. I gotto say its going to look sweet. Thanks for the info loblzr.

Under Construction 98low4x4blazer's Avatar
    post some pics on how u modify ur stock end caps
    pic's of what my blazer used to be
    Http://www.streetsourcemag.com/Profile.aspx?profileid=22972

custom parts are built not bought

When its done, you'll wish it was yours.

Well I have one side half way done and I dont have any pics yet. I will take pics of the other side when I do it. Basically what you do is take your cap off and cut it at an angle. I cut mine from wher it curves around all the way down to the tab that holds the bolt on the bottom.(if you take yours off you will see what I am talking about) Then cut about 4 1/2 inches out.I pushed it back together to look right and held it togrther with duck tape on the front. Then fiberglass the back to hold its shape. After that glass th front a little then bondo and sand it smooth. I am at that point now. I need to bondo but it already looks sweet and fits good. Ready for bondo and primer. Oh yeah loblzr told me to use kitty hair bondo on the front. Hope you understand.

so all you have to do is modify the existing end caps and get a s10 roll pan, right? if so im glad im behind schedual because i was gonna go buy a s10 bed and cut the bottom off of it. but if this works thatll save me alot of money and time.
    Have you ever been kissed by a goat?

Has anyone went to a shop and checked prices?? This 'ol country boy I met a couple of weeks ago has an older model silverado that he made a roll pan for. That thing was SOLID!!! He told me for about 350-400 he could make one for mine, but there's other things I need to take care of (like my 180,000 mile engine) before I do any body mods.

What about the frame rails that stick out? And are you using the GM factory roll pan?
    Scott H. 96 2dr Blazer, Dark Metallic Cherry Red, L35, Auto, 3/3 Drop, Orion Intake, 2.5" Flowmaster, Poweraid TB Spacer, TB Mod, EGR Mod, B&M Shift+, Booty Call Siren, Street Scene Speed Grilles, Billet Bowtie, 15.95 @ 83.67mph (AC) 3440 lbs. (Vortec Inside)

Ford: "Circling The Problem"

can you smooth the plastic end caps to the metal panel above for a nice molded look?

My MySpace Page

I already have bedsides...would it be easier to just mold the plastic ones? My bedsides I bought look like shit though, kinda bent and dented in some spots and need body work

My MySpace Page

Originally posted by orion262
    What about the frame rails that stick out? And are you using the GM factory roll pan?
    Well like 1st gen blazers you do have to cut the frame rails. As far as the roll pan , I am going to cut the step off the top, only laeve an inch or so and push it in even with my new sides.

can you smooth the plastic end caps to the metal panel above for a nice molded look?
    I am sure you could. just like molding gfx of something.

cool cool :) I think I could do this easier than fucking with the metal ones :D

My MySpace Page

yeah me too
    Have you ever been kissed by a goat?

It sounds like I started a trend..............Screw RAW and do it yourself. I wouldnt recommend molding the plastic into the metal because it WILL crack. I cut my frame rails off as close to behind the aft body mount as possible. Then I welded a 2" square tube in between the frame rails to replace the crossmember you just cut off with the frame rails, this gives you a good place to ziptie your license plate to (so you can drive legally) while your working on the rollpan and side skirts. I highly recommend you only use kitty hair (fiberglass reinforced bondo) as a filler, bodo isn't strong enough to avoid cracking, remember, its still plastic, it will vibrate, flex, and get bumped (mercy on the guy who does bump it though) Plain bondo will crack to easy, and the kitty hair is actually easier to work with than I thought. Just do the initial sanding with some good 40 grit, or you'll be working on it till next year. When the 2 shortened section are joined back together, they miss-match because of the angle of the body line, I sanded all the paint off and roughed up the plastic on both sides of the seams, and put a good thick layer of the kitty hair and sanded it so it all flowed together evenly, and doesnt look hacked up. Once the front is all smooth, and done to perfection (no half assing here cause people WILL look closely at mods like this) put several layers of glass cloth (or mat) on the back side (after cleaning and sanding) to reinforce the whole structure, because where the seam is will be the weakest point of it now.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/1loblzr

3rd place Texas Heatwave 02 Mini SUV street, 1st place Texas Showdown 03 SUV Street, 2nd place Texas Heatwave 03 Mini SUV Full modified, 1st Place Rollout 2K3 SUV mild, 2nd place Houston Autorama semi mini sport wagon, 2nd place Dustoff 04 SUV Wild, 3rd lakefront tour 04, 1st heatwave 06, 2nd Dustoff 06