Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 13 sec.

A megashifter and a nice tach never hurt anything. Except for maybe some tires.

There are all kinds of small things that contribute to good quarter mile times. One of the major ones is the 60' time. Getting past that 60 foot mark in hurry is makes your quarter! I can't stress taht enough! Under 2 seconds and your doing alright.
    Hold my hammer while I nail your girlfriend

when you put the new trans in that would the best time to go ahead and put small stall converter in. so you don't have to take the new trans that you just put in back out. then you can put the posi in when you get a chance. it is going to run rough when you first start it up anyways. it will be just the same when you change camshafts. also a trick of the trade. if you have a one legger. before finish staging at the track before your run. put the in reverse hold brake down turn the tires ove a little bit. then put in drive and ease up to final staging. when you take off you should take off like posi. it's kinda like limited posi. try it before you go to the track. a old guy told that.

The stall converter holds the motor till the chosen rpms then launches right? can someone briefly explain it a little more for me?
    MY BLAZER IS FOR SALE - CHECK THE CLASSIFIEDS

$3000 O.B.O

You have to have the break pedal to the floor, and rev your engine to the RMP's the converter is made for. Then, just let out the break all the way, floor it and you will launch like a mother fucker if you can plant.

My setup will include a 3200-3500 stall, plus a tranny break ;)
    I love those things.
    Last edited by ogg2001; 03-13-2003 at 07:34 PM.
    '87 Jimmy, Caddy Deville tail lights, frenched lic plate, smoothie steel rollpan, phantom grill, 425 HP V8 conversion in the process and all the goodies to go with it
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/ogg2001

long reply sorry guys

hey bedan77 hope this helps

What does a Torque Converter Do?
    At the most basic level, a torque converter connects the engine to the automatic transmission, much like a clutch connects an engine to a manual transmission. The converter housing bolts onto the motor's flexplate (also known as the flywheel), and the housing spins right along with the motor. On the output side, the torque converter's turbine is attached to the transmission's input shaft. Inside the torque converter is a stator assembly. It redirects fluid flow, resulting in torque multiplication and torque multiplication is what allows a converter to provide better low-speed acceleration. Most torque converters today will multiply torque by a ratio of at least 2 to 1. For example, if your motor is making 250 lbs.-ft. of torque and your converter is multiplying it by a factor of two, then the transmission will see 500 lbs.-ft. of torque. This can improve a car or truck's acceleration capability substantially. NASA defines a torque converter as a device for changing the torque speed or mechanical advantage between an input shaft and an output shaft. The goal for automotive enthusiasts, clearly, is to gain a mechanical advantage. The torque converter also serves another extremely important function in a car or truck. A vehicle's engine must be able to connect and disconnect from the differential, so the car or truck can stop moving (i.e., turning the drive wheels) while the engine is still running and the transmission is in gear. In the case of an automatic transmission, it is the torque converter that performs this connect/disconnect function (again, like a clutch in a manual transmission). By slipping internally, the torque converter allows the car to idle while it's in gear.

What is stall speed?
    Stall speed is the amount of engine rpm that can be attained at full throttle with brakes locked and transmission in gear before the driving wheels turn. The stall is only attainable if the brakes can hold the vehicle.

Choosing The Right Converter
    If your car or truck has been modified to enhance performance, you probably need a converter with a higher stall speed. Most stock converters have a stall speed in the 1500 to 1800 rpm range.

When you make performance modifications, you generally shift the engine's torque curve upward into a higher rpm range. Therefore, you need a converter with a higher stall speed so that you can launch the car in the fat part of the powerband.

If the stall speed isn't high enough, the car won't be making power when you launch and you'll bog off the line. If your setup is really mismatched, the motor may even want to stall whenever you attempt to shift into gear at idle.

So, a higher-stall converter will improve acceleration by allowing the car to launch at an rpm where it is making power.

How high a stall speed is too high? Obviously, you don't want to launch the car at an rpm that is past your peak power output. There's no point in bypassing the engine's powerband.

You also have to consider the car's weight, braking system, engine displacement and engine combination when deciding which torque converter to use. Some converters are designed for high-revving lightweight cars. Some are designed for heavy cars that make a lot of bottom-end torque. And there are converters designed for virtually everything in between.

The key is to match the converter to the motor and to the entire vehicle in question. This is where technical support staff can help. They'll ask you the right questions about your combination including where your car makes power and how much it weighs in order to help you find the right converter for your overall combination.

A quick warning: You definitely don't want to get a higher stall speed than you need. That's because the higher stall speed creates more slippage, which generates more heat, which is hard on the converter and the transmission. If you are going to run a converter with a higher-than-stock stall speed, you'll want to install a transmission cooler to extend the lifetime of your components. (Amazingly enough, 85 percent of transmission failures are due to excessive heat.)

told ya it was long LOL:D
    hope this helps ya out

Puttin the "Sport" in SUV hivoltagedriver's Avatar
    damn, that was good information. You should post that as a sticky somewhere, cause there are a lot of people that don't understand how that all works.

thanks,I just copied it from B&M maybe yenko will put it as a sticky.

BLAZIN THE ONLY WAY! tuneportblazer's Avatar
    Originally posted by 8mpg
    Do not get a 4:11 gear ratio Sk8punk doesnt know what hes talking about...

with a th350 and 4:11 gears you will have a top speed of a whopping 88 mph...
    Bullshit ihave a s-10 pick up with a 355 and 4:11 and running 125 in the 1/4

in defense if 8mpg he gave that speed at 5500 rpm,using a 23 inch tall tire,also he was using a gear ratio calculator.

Yeah, later I found out his top speed with his tires.. It all depends..... That program is quite acurate actually. Plus you never defined what tranmission you have.

And a 125 in the quarter? Thats haulin some ass, 11's most likely...... How come we havent heard of this 11 second s-10.. or at least I havent.

If i'm not mistaken this is a blazer site not s-10 pickup and yes it runs in the 11's

well give us a run down of your blazer and pics if ya got them

id rather hear about the s-10

I was referring to tuneportblazer and his 11 sec blaze bro. Hey 8 you got aim? if so Im a355blazer add me if ya want.

I will post pics this weekend. getting a freinds cam.