Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: removing my 4x4

ONCE BAGGED 4X4 MEMBER Trigga187's Avatar

removing my 4x4

I have an 85 Jimmy 4x4...how can i remove the 4x4 stuff?
    Good Bye Blazer

BUY A 2WD

2WD IS THE ONLY WAY...YOUR GONNA MESS URSELF UP IF UTRY TO TAKE OFF THAT 4X4 STUFF
    Fuck that east coast b-boy hip-hop that gay shit - Mac Dre & Baby Beesh
    ~Blazed~Out~

Since I bagged my 4x4 I have pulled all the front wheel drive components. Just start at the spindle-to-rod CV joint. When the CV bearing is free, take out the six bolts that connect the drive axle (to each wheel) meets the transfer case flange. Once you have pulled the drive axles out get underneath and remove forward drive shaft (from tranny to tranfer case). Then unbolt transfer case, drop out, and your done. It sounds hard but it's really easy. I suggest buying a Hayne's manual first.
    I like my trucks like I like my women; WHITE & SHAVED!

would it be better to do that or replace the front axle and whatever else is needed? my dad keeps telling me to go to a junkyard and find a 2wd blazer and use the parts i would need off it.

There is nothing to replace. A two wheel drive is just made without those things. No front suspension parts are interchangable between 2 and 4wd.

so all i would need to do is take out the things you said in the earlier post?

That's all you have to do. If you happen to engage 4x4, it will just spin the U joint half sticking out of the front of the tranny. In other words nothing would happen. If you remove the 4x4 shifter to put in a custom console or something, leave the rubber boot bolted on and stick a rag in the hole. If you dont, VERY hot air blows in like the heater is on.

what if I remove the 4x4 shifter and cover it with a piece of metal or something, then I put some of that heat shield stuff or whatever it is and cover it with carpet? will that work?
    Good Bye Blazer

Yeah if you can seal it with Thermo-Blanket that would be perfect. I'm just going to build and tweed a consol to cover the whole area.

but if you build that console how are you gonna cover up the hole? same way Im thinking of? Do you know if there is a place where I can buy a console specially made for a 4x4 Blazer, because I suck at buliding things like that.
    Good Bye Blazer

I have never heard of a place that makes consoles like that. There always custom. I just left the rubber boot from the shifter on and I have air hoses running up through where the stick used to be. It plugs it pretty good.

Bagged 4X4 Member
    :D How do you put bags on the front of a 4wd with the 4wd system taken out? I also was wondering if the control arms(tubular) for a 2wd will work on a 4wd? Do the bolt to the frame mounts in the same place? Would you have to switch the spindels? Any help is appreciated.
    '95 GMC Jimmy, Completely Fast-Bagged 4x4 w/4-link w/18" Mille Miglia Uno's, Envoy Bumper and billet grills, Good Hood Ram-air hood, clear corners, Supra tails, Clean-shaven and being painted in Lamoborghini Orange and Cadillac White Diamond as we speak!
    BUILT NOT BOUGHT!!!
    '85 S-10, FOR SALE E-MAIL ME $3500
    '89 TBI 350, Hedman Headers, Custom Dual Vortex Exhaust, B&M Megashifter

from what I've learned from Slim...No 2wd stuff is not compatible with 4wd...correct me if Im wrong Slim. About the bags well just let Slim post his pics, it's complicated.
    Good Bye Blazer

No that's right. Unfortunately we can't just swap out suspensions with 2wd's. They're completely different.

bagging a 4x4

What are my dangers in bagging a 4x4, becuase I really dont want to remove the 4x4 never know might come in handy down the road. also the 4.3 votec will slide right in and bolt up to the 700r4 and 4x4 am I right? let me know befor I pull the 2.8 out of the blazer
    1985 Chevy s-10 Blazer 4x4
    2000 Chevy s-10 LS Standard Cab