Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to drop front w/Leafs - 79 4x4

Yeah it is funny as hell. But cruel. He/she does look pissed the fuck off.

Originally posted by Blazed
    He/she does look pissed the fuck off.
    I'd look pretty pissed off too if somebody did that to me.

Originally posted by basplyr
    I should grab a full-length drive-shaft, and have the longer mainshaft added to the tranny when I rebuild it, right?
    Yea you'll need a driveshaft, good luck finding one for the rare 2WD Blazer. I used a 70's or 80's Chevelle and had it shortened. Just look for one that is the same tube diameter the full length and not tapered on the ends.

Yep on the tranny mainshaft. Turbo 350's come with a short shaft (6" tailhousing) or a long shaft (9" tailhousing) , that's not including 4X4's. A short shaft T-350 for a car or 1/2 ton pickup is 2" longer than the 4X4 shaft or a long shaft is about 5".
    Originally posted by Blazin Low:
    In 1972 a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire Tony Low
    :D

Toledo/Detroit (weekends) Columbus (weekdays)
    Originally posted by LowKat
    I'd look pretty pissed off too if somebody did that to me.
    You just know that cat pissed all over their place the next day in retalliation...

Originally posted by LowKat
    Yea you'll need a driveshaft, good luck finding one for the rare 2WD Blazer. I used a 70's or 80's Chevelle and had it shortened. Just look for one that is the same tube diameter the full length and not tapered on the ends.

Yep on the tranny mainshaft. Turbo 350's come with a short shaft (6" tailhousing) or a long shaft (9" tailhousing) , that's not including 4X4's. A short shaft T-350 for a car or 1/2 ton pickup is 2" longer than the 4X4 shaft or a long shaft is about 5".
    I'm hoping up here in 4x4 land that I may be able to find a small surplus of 2x4 parts that people discarded in the hopes of 4x4 glory, but we'll see. There's an extremely well-organized salvage yard not too far from where I work in Columbus, OH that has a lot of trucks. I don't have my tools with me this week but I'm going head out there tonight and see if they have anything I'd want to try to wrench off. Do I have the option of mixing and matching what length shaft I stick on the tranny to match whatever drive-shaft I find, or am I best to get a long shaft when it gets rebuilt and the longest non-tapered drive shaft I can?
    You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing...

Yea you can use long or short tranny but the short ones are probably a little more common. If you know your driveshaft length you might luck out and find one the right length. Otherwise get a long one to cut
    In 1972 a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire Tony Low

Just in case I hose myself on drive-shaft length and get one BARELY too short, can the slack be made up by extending the connection out of the differential (swaping out for a longer piece), or is that a one-length-only part? Just trying to truly understand where my variations in length can come into play, and how I can "deal" with them - not that I'm expecting to have to.
    You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing...

...or do "they" make spacers that mate up with the u-joints?

There are no parts to lengthen a driveshaft that is a "tad" too short.

You would have to have both ends cut off of the tube then install a new longer tube. If you have one that's too long then it only needs one end cut, then rewelded. About $70 vs. $200

Saving money = GOOD...!!!!

After I hit some yards today I should have a better feel for what I'll have to work with. Besides 73-79 GM 1/2 ton trucks and 70's-80's Chevelles, anything else I should keep my eyes open for?

Your current rearend is 6 lug bolt pattern.
    2WD pickups are 5 lug, might think about that.

You can switch just the axles and not the entire rearend housing.
    2WD and 4WD rear housings are the same width.

If I were you, I'd look for a $200 beater 1/2 ton PU with a good automatic trans, otherwise the wrecking yard will have all your money before you get finished. It's also lots easier to go out in the backyard and get the part you need instead of running to the wreckers.

2WD parts needed:
    engine cradle/frame piece with suspension
    front brake rotors
    steering box
    tranny crossmember & rubber mount for trans
    driveshaft
    brake proportioning valve
    rearend? or 2WD axles
    trans?

Last edited by LowKat; 04-01-2003 at 01:48 PM.

Yea, I recently went and grabbed some $25 6-bolt wagon wheels from Belle Tire and found out how much easier it is to find 5-bolt wheels. I absolutely-positively plan on switching to 5-bolt.

My friend you bring up an EXTREMELY good point about just grabbing a whole truck instead of parting piece by piece. Unfortunately I sold my house in December and no longer have spare room to store/park a junker. However, the DIY auto hobby garage I do my major wrenching at has outside storage for like $20 or $30/month. It would probalby be worth it to just park it there and scavenge what I need off it over a month or two and then get rid of the remaining carcus somehow (would I take it to a yard, and should I expect to pay for them to take it, or should I expect to get money from them, or would it be a gift?).

Thanks for the insight...

Scrap prices are up about 20% in the last 2 months so it shouldn't be too hard to find somebody who wants the carcass.

Lots of scrap dealers in my area will haul off junk cars for free.

Sounds like a plan has been laid. Since I have nothing better to do tonight until "American Idiot" comes on, I'll still go hit this one yard in town and do a little re-con work, but I think I'll probably have better luck this weekend back in Michigan, where EVERYBODY has a junker pickup or two for sale.

Now, once I get it to a nice-n-low driving height, would I be able to bag it the rest of the way to the pavement?

Hope you find the parts truck you need

Yep on baggin' it

When I bag the rear, I'd lose the rigidity that the leaf spring provides by being bolted to the frame and axle. So am I right in that I'd need to install some kind of mult-point system to keep things from moving in the X-Y plane? I purchased one of the "HP" books on Chevy Trucks (albeit for 87-99) and it shows an "Air Ride" kit that apparently removes the rear springs/shocks and includes several rigid rods that look like they would restrict all movement except for up and down motion in the Z-plane. Is that what I'd be looking at? I'm assuming the front should be acomplished with an air-bag/shock combination...

Couldn't believe it. A beautiful day for wrenching, and the yard decided to close early. Musta had an early Tee-time...
    Last edited by basplyr; 04-02-2003 at 12:32 PM.

The rear suspension mod you are talking about is called a 4 link.
    There are several options for bagging the rear. Some guys use a mono leaf spring to lecate the axle and add bags. You'll need to notch the rear frame to make room for axle up-travel if you want it to lay out

Here is a site for top notch quality bag systems, parts and pictures of what other people have done

http://airridetechnologies.com/