Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boggs down under hard acceleration.

Puttin the "Sport" in SUV hivoltagedriver's Avatar
    to make the secondaries open quicker, you can take the top off of the carb, pull out the top butterfly for the secondaries, and shave down the weights. There are two counterweights, one at each end of the shaft, that hold the butterflies shut until the engine overcomes them. The less weight, the quicker the engine can suck them open. This is a trial and error deal, but it can make a huge difference. The only springs in there are the ones that are for the metering rods.

holleys are setup to fat from factory, drop the jet 2 sizes at a time till your plugs are a light brown, as far as the back fire your secondaries may be opening to quick. A spring kit is available from most speed shops for about $10.00. Go with a heavier spring. Being rich the way you are just costs you money for gas, so its well worth rejetting.
    84 xCab S-15. No longer ugly but still quick

Dude, he has a 750 Edelbrock on top of that motor right now.

I have an edelbrock though.
    88 S10 Blazer - Work In Progress 360 hp 350/TH400 coming soon....

I still say that it is the ignition. What are you running for a distributor? What about the advance? have you put an advance kit in it? is the vaccuum advance working properly? Where is your base timing set? And how does it run on the top end?

same thing , rejet, change spring on metering rod
    84 xCab S-15. No longer ugly but still quick

I have a GM distributor I bought it used off of the parts store owner/family friend and he said he bought a mallory or something. Anyway, I unhooked the vaccum advance because I was getting enough mechanical advance. Total advance is 34 at 2,000rpm which is where my motor builder said to put it. It runs mean as hell over 2000rpm. I would think I would want my secondaries to open later rather than earlier maybe not?? I am going to see if I can find someone that knows how to tune one of these freaking carbs. Next time I am buying a Holley I still might and but the Edelbrock on my 454. Maybe I should buy a good quality distributor.
    88 S10 Blazer - Work In Progress 360 hp 350/TH400 coming soon....

Slow Ride
    that is your problem. reconnect the vacuum advance. Under acceleration tou can have over 50 degrees advance because the cylinders are not filling completely.

Call Edlebrock and get their calibration handbook it is very useful.