Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: rear main seal 4.3 v6 vortec

Beer,Its whats for dinner Paraquat's Avatar

rear main seal 4.3 v6 vortec

97 4 door 4 wheel 4.3v6 vortec
    How long would it take to change a rear main seal?
    Skill level?
    Difficulty level?
    Dealer est. 500. I said GFY
    This guy at work said it'd be worth paying the 500 to have a dealer fix it vs. the trouble to fix it myself.

--Steve
    I hate my truck.

you have to pull of the oil pan then crankshaft so youll have to pull the motor or jack it up off the motor mounts but 500 is pretty stiff to change an oil seal.. ya its not hard just time consuming...

Ps.i heard if you put the oil seal in twisted (spin it 1/2 inch) so where the seal butts together is not where the bottom of the block meats the main caps.. because sometimes they will leak it happened to me and i had to pull my motor just because of that... i hope this will help..
    '82 slammed orange S10 with a 350 bored .030 , flat top pistons , camshaft with 214 in 224 exh @.050 and .454 lift ,holley street dominator intake ,holley 4 bbl 650 cfm carb...$4000obo

1996 k1500 350 tbi 4wd singlecab shortbox 3" lift 31"goodyear mt's $6000obo

1997 zr580 efi 2"x136"track stock mint condition w/reverse $3000obo

um no
    you pull the transmission off then the flex plate off lots of work i'd pay them to do it
    2009 ford fusion
    1997 bagged and body dropped suburban
    2003 yamaha road star warrior
    still got the 4 Door Love

is the seal a one piece or a two piece in the newer 4.3s
    ??
    "if its not shaved..i dont want it"

My cousin said remove a crossmember and I can get at it from there?
    These aren't the answers I wanted. I don't have 500 laying around. :(

--Steve
    I hate my truck.

remove the cross member then the tranny and then oil pan then so on but i had to pull my crank to get to my rear main oil seal.

if you or a buddy has a shop you should do it yourself even just for experience..
    Last edited by hazards-s10-350; 04-04-2003 at 03:42 PM.
    '82 slammed orange S10 with a 350 bored .030 , flat top pistons , camshaft with 214 in 224 exh @.050 and .454 lift ,holley street dominator intake ,holley 4 bbl 650 cfm carb...$4000obo

1996 k1500 350 tbi 4wd singlecab shortbox 3" lift 31"goodyear mt's $6000obo

1997 zr580 efi 2"x136"track stock mint condition w/reverse $3000obo

you shouldnt have to pull the crank or drop the oil pan if i rememebr right its just a seal on the back of the engine pull it with a seal puller or flat head screw driver and pop the new one in
    2009 ford fusion
    1997 bagged and body dropped suburban
    2003 yamaha road star warrior
    still got the 4 Door Love

The new one piece seals are easy to change. Since you have a 96 model it's going to be the one piece seal. As far I know all 4.3 have the one piece rear main seal.

If the seals leaking its usually more a symptom than the actual problem of bad bearings or clogged PCV system .

You can change a one piece if you take the tranny out & flexplate off. I'm 90% sure my 92 4.3 vortec w/ balance shaft was a one piece.

You can do the two piece without pulling the crank but just the pan, but don't nick the crank.

Originally posted by hazards-s10-350
    you have to pull of the oil pan then crankshaft so youll have to pull the motor or jack it up off the motor mounts but 500 is pretty stiff to change an oil seal.. ya its not hard just time consuming...

Ps.i heard if you put the oil seal in twisted (spin it 1/2 inch) so where the seal butts together is not where the bottom of the block meats the main caps.. because sometimes they will leak it happened to me and i had to pull my motor just because of that... i hope this will help..
    That's why you use silicon on the two piece rear main seal. Silicon helps or keep's the seal from leaking between the seal and the cap. Put silicon on the inside of the seal(inside were the seal goes on the block, not were it touch's the crank). By the way, his seal is a one piece rear main seal. He will have to drop the transmission to get to the seal and also take off the flexplate.
    ISRA# 18696

CMA

Do I need to worry about aligning anything in the tranny when I bolt it back up?

--Steve
    I hate my truck.

Just spin the convertor until it "drops" that last 3/8 inch and the slots on the convertor engage the pump.

If if doesn't vibrate now..... mark the position of the convertor so that you put it back in the same position on the flex plate. It shouldn't make a difference but I do that same thing and mark my wheels relative to the axle and the driveshaft relative to the rear end yoke.

Originally posted by bigjsp
    If if doesn't vibrate now..... mark the position of the convertor so that you put it back in the same position on the flex plate. It shouldn't make a difference but I do that same thing and mark my wheels relative to the axle and the driveshaft relative to the rear end yoke.
    That is good advise. I will have to make a note of that. I always jot down little notes that I might need in the furture. Helps when you can go back through your notes and see if you might have the solution written down for a problem you are having. The older us gearheads get, the more we tend to forget little things. But anyways, thanks for the note or advise.
    ISRA# 18696

CMA

so on a 98 2wd 4.3 4door what do i have to do to replace the rear main seal.
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!NEW PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    mycardomainpage

a 96 is the same as a 98 so read above