Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: rear main seal 4.3 v6 vortec

yeah but there are so many mixed up ways of doing it. so anyone DONE it on my motor that knows exactly how its done.
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!NEW PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    mycardomainpage

Banned
    Theres not so many ways, take the f*ckin driveshaft out, tranny crosmember off, let the trans sag down, take the converter bolts out, bellhousing bolts, move the trans back, (might have to take the trans cooling lines and stuff off most likely), unbolt the flexplate, DONT take the damn crankshaft out, pull the seal. Reverse back together. May be a small detail or two i missed.
    Last edited by Superbee; 11-12-2005 at 10:25 AM.

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

me and a buddy will be doing mine this weekend so ill try and get some pics and maybe some notes on how we did it.
    mycardomainpage

does anyone have any advice on doing this? like is there a hard bolt to get to that i need to watch out for? is the transmission cooler lines going to need to be removed? or is there enough slack for the tranny to come back to do the job?
    mycardomainpage

its gonna be easiest to just remove the tranny all together

just to switch out a seal.
    mycardomainpage

its gonna take all of 10 min of extra work to disconnect the coolant lines and wiring to drop the tranny instead of move it back. plus if the tranny is out it makes it easier to access the flexplate bolts. so you dont bloddy your knuckles and makes working in there a whole lot better. cuz if your on jackstands you can sit under the vehicle where the tranny used to be. this is a lot easier then laying on your back trying to do shit

SIk Addictions
    Originally posted by tippmann243
    its gonna take all of 10 min of extra work to disconnect the coolant lines and wiring to drop the tranny instead of move it back. plus if the tranny is out it makes it easier to access the flexplate bolts. so you dont bloddy your knuckles and makes working in there a whole lot better. cuz if your on jackstands you can sit under the vehicle where the tranny used to be. this is a lot easier then laying on your back trying to do shit

I hane to agree I just did mine like 3 weeks ago and it is so easy to get at with the tranny out. I don't know how many miles you have on your Blaze but I was told my rear main would again in about a year or because of the high milage 153,XXX because the crank is worn and is more than likly not true anymore so just be prepaired to replace it again if you have high miles or rebuild the bottom end!!!

whats the time it took you guys?
    mycardomainpage

the only bolt that might give you a slight headache would be the top two bolts, i removed the crossmember let the tranny pull everything down took the top two out first the supported it while i removed the rest of the bolt. remove the trans cooler lines, and CAREFULLY put them back on when your finihsed, i did this and mine leaked and made me angry. 500$ is way to much a job like this should take a grand total of 4 hours for some one who never took the trans out.
    1985 Chevy s-10 Blazer 4x4
    2000 Chevy s-10 LS Standard Cab

http://www.powerbuilttools.com/Power...E+/+DRIVETRAIN

scroll down to Model No: 648461

go to your local Checker/Schuck's/Kragen/Advance and pick it up, my boss swears by it

Originally posted by JERM
    whats the time it took you guys?
    time varries, if im doing it on my back and by myself about 2 and a half hours

on a lift by myself about 1 and a half hours

on a lift with my dad about 35-45 min

thanks for all the input guys, ill be having a buddy that does all kinds of odd jobs on cars,tractors,forklifts helping me on this and he's done shit like this before just not on my style trans on the smaller blazer body.

let me know if yall think of anything else.

thanks
    mycardomainpage

Banned
    just get somthing to hit it in with, dont smak it in with a dang hammer. Find somthing the same size so you can hit it in the center instead of working around side to side, that will usually make them leak.

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

you mean find something thats the same diameter as the seal like a metal can and hammer in the whole area at the same time?
    mycardomainpage