Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: engine size

Question engine size

I want to put a V8 into my 92 S10 Blazer Tahoe and I was wondering if it would be best to just go with a 350. I realy want a 355. I will use wich ever one needs the fewest mods. I want to build the moter myself from the ground up.
    Drive fast, Live good, Die happy!
    Last edited by THOTRODR; 04-12-2003 at 12:35 AM.
    Hot Rod

a 355 is only a 350 bored out .030" and i dont think 5 cu in will make much difference maybe 5-7hp
    '82 slammed orange S10 with a 350 bored .030 , flat top pistons , camshaft with 214 in 224 exh @.050 and .454 lift ,holley street dominator intake ,holley 4 bbl 650 cfm carb...$4000obo

1996 k1500 350 tbi 4wd singlecab shortbox 3" lift 31"goodyear mt's $6000obo

1997 zr580 efi 2"x136"track stock mint condition w/reverse $3000obo

Exactly what Hazards said. The 355 probably has already been rebuilt. That the only reason I see for boring a block .030 over.

I believe the only parts difference is pistions.

If your looking to completely rebuild a motor yourself, I'd start fresh with a standard block.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley
    Go before show any day of the week.

Thanks! I preciate the info. It'll prably be a couple of years before I get it all finished because right now I am a student. I am working towards my ASE Certification so I can get a better job and make more money. Moneys tight right now. I will post pictures, power stats, and track times when I am finished.
    :blazer:
    Hot Rod

Question 400 small block

I have seen alot of people talkin bout 400 small blocks in their blazers. Are those good moters for s10? I know their a 350 block with a different crank(I think). My next door neighbor is a Mech for Toyota and he was telling me what a 400 is. Can someone enlighten me a little further. I never even new their was a 400 small block. I know Ford has a 400 Big Block. Please give me some info.
    :huh:
    Hot Rod

Beer,Its whats for dinner Paraquat's Avatar
    I went through this when looking for a block, everyone said the 400 has cooling issues.
    There is a 400 sbc
    which is odd to me because the big blocks start at 396
    350 is more common too.

--Steve
    I hate my truck.

A 400 can be a good motor, if done right. Now a days, finding a good, unmachined 400 block might be hard.

The cylinder wall design is a little different from a standard 350. Steam can build up between there, and unless steam holes are drilled in the gaskets and heads, it will probably over heat. The bigger cubic inches, can also be a little harder to keep cool.

The 400 has a longer stroke than the standard 350. So, with a little work, a 400 can be a Torque Monster . Which, is very good for the street.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear

Thanks for the info! How exactly would I go about doing the 400 perfectly with out any problems? I want my Blaze to be a Torque Monster! I will take any info I can get!:bowdown:
    Hot Rod

A 383 can be a torque monster as well. Plus, you won't have the cooling problems that the 400 has. A 383 stroker is just a 350 block with a 400 crank in it. :bigthumb:
    '87 Jimmy, Caddy Deville tail lights, frenched lic plate, smoothie steel rollpan, phantom grill, 425 HP V8 conversion in the process and all the goodies to go with it
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/ogg2001

I wanna build a 383 for my blazer. On the motor alone, I should see over 500 ft lbs of tq. Im adding a procharger to that as well. :boink:
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear

Talking

Thanks much!:D :D
    Hot Rod

Since you're new to small block chevys, Don't let armchair racer theories overrule the basic reality that ....... the better the heads, intake and cam are matched the more power you will make.

Over the years, I've raced 350,355 (0.30 over),357( 0.040 over),360(0.060over), 377 (350 crank in a 400 block), 383 (400 crank in a 350 block), 400, 406(0.030 over 400) smallbocks. They all can be made to run strong but you have to pick one area to spend money, Invest in good heads.

The most powerful motor we have has ported Brodix -11 heads with a highly modified victor jr, big roller cam and a ron's flying toilet injection system in our 34 chevy drag car, not exactly streetable.

You can always upgrade your shortblock to get more cubes. A 355 with good aftermarket heads will outrun a 400 with modified or stock heads.

A good "rule of thumb" for a street motor is 1hp per cube like HAZARDS and ZZ4BLAZER indicated. For supercharged engines HP= (1+boost in PSI/14)* cubic inches.

NOTE: the 383 and 400 take an externally balanced balancer and flexplate or flywheel unless you get the special internally balanced crank.

something to watch for.....Most 400 4 bolt blocks have 3 freeze plugs per side, so if you see 3 freeze plugs and the owner is claiming its a 305???keep your bet low and don't give them any lengths.

A 4 bolt main block does not "make" more power than a 2 bolt main, just as a cast crank doesn't "make" additional power over a forged crank. These 4 bloct steel crank will last better, but on a budget you have to make choices.

You can buy gaskets with the steamholes in. A good machine shop can do steam holes in the heads. I've never had heating problems with a 400 block but I run a big radiator and mechanical fan when ever possible.

Very well put.

Any motor can be built to run strong, and be streetable. But, you need a plan of attack before you start your build up.

Bigger is not always better. Your heads and cam should be matched to each other. Compression should be within certain ranges, etc.

Deciding what kinda power your looking for, what your looking to do with it, and what you wanna spend should be your first priorities.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear

I realy apriciate all the info. I just know what I have picked up over the years. I am in school right now to get my ASE. I am realy enjoying having fellow car lovers to talk to. I have learned alot in the time that I have been a member.
    Hot Rod

tone dos (tone tone) Tony Sport's Avatar
    for 400s, 2 bolt mains are better, because they are stronger in the webbing areas. if you really want a 4 bolt, buy a 2 bolt main block and get it machined for splayed 4 bolt caps.

also, a 400 ford is a small block. there might be a big block too, but i know there is a small block 400 from ford.

your neighbor was talking about a 383. as others have already pointed out, a 383 is a 350 block with a 400 crank. these are probally the best choise for a "torque monster" street engine.

do yourself a favor, pick up a few books on small block chevy's before you deside on ANYTHING. my personal favorite is the "Lingenfelter on Modifying Small Block Chevy Engines" book. it is by top dollar engine builder, and former drag racer john lingenfelter. you can pick it up for about 15 bucks at www.jegs.com or www.summitracing.com good luck on your project, and update us on your progess.
    rip SlamminS15