Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: engine size

Originally posted by THOTRODR
    Does the 383 have any cooling problems? If so, how do I erase the cooling issues? :evil:
    V8 s-series are known for having cooling problems. But, If you do your homework, you can get it down right. Im running a stock 4.3 radiator, and a dual electric fan set up. Mine runs cool, at 185 in the summer heat.

My experience has been, bigger motor, more heat. Stroker motors usually do run a little warmer. A 383 isn't prone to the cooling issues like a badly built 400.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley
    Go before show any day of the week.

YENKO68 - I bought the nash in 81, it was the 4+1 street version that Richmond eventually bought out and relabeled.

My 5 speed came with 3.27,2.16,1.68.1.21 and 1:1 high gear. During the late eighties when I had the 377 and the 5.13 combo in it I found some McCreary roadstar tires which would almost hook up on the street but they didn't only last about 6000 miles. At the track I had butchered the wheel wells and had some 11.5 x 29.5 slicks. I used to dump the clutch at 6800 on the 1st step of two step rev limitor and when the front end come back down after getting up about 3" to 4", pull second. See the pic. I had the nitrous wired into a WOT and the clutch so it came in when the clutch got dumped.

I broke the left axle in that 12 bolt 3 weeks in a row (got me the nickname of "axle foldee" parody on Eddie Murphy Beverly hills cop character at that time. Left real hard if it didn't break. Useless on the street, kinda like driving on ice with the TAs I started with.

I got tired of breaking the rear end and I had sold my front engined dragster and was building a my rear engined dragster so I put the powerglide and 7" convertor slated for my dragster in just to see what it would do. The 7" convertor stalled at 6600a dn it was quite a different drive from the stick since you let go of the tranny brake with your finger and shifted .......once..........about .........6 .........seconds......... later...... Yawn!

Sorry about the picture quality but I was driving and my wife was photographer.:bigthumb:

Cool

I will research every aspect of it. Thanks! I was wondering if I could see some specs and track times of anyone with a 383 S10? Also, what would be the best tranny an rear if did a 383 stroker?
    Drive fast, Live good, Die happy!
    Hot Rod

tone dos (tone tone) Tony Sport's Avatar
    hey YENKO i dont mind being told im wrong, especially when its about a ford.:bigthumb:

the truth is, im on vacation, and this is the first time ive been on the computer in almost a week. i could have sworn that ford had a 400, because i remember that hot rod mag did a article on a 400 ci shootout, and i thought they were all small blocks. i couldnt see them putting up a small block against a big block, but that is what they must have done. no harm done to my self esteem, dont worry about it. i dont mind when people tell me im wrong, in fact, i hate when people dont correct me right away,because then i feel like a jack ass when i go on thinking something wrong for so long........ anyways, that picture sucked.

also, in what little expiriance i have with destroked engines(the 377) i have heard they are better candidates for blower or other high RPM applications. my resoning is like picking a 327 over a 350 for the smaller stroke/higher rpm potential. i'm guessing with the 3.48 stroke, you could get more turns easier than you could with the stock 400 stroke. not to mention, stock 400 blocks only came with cast cranks, and a forged 350 crank from gmpp would be a better compition crank shaft. (if you didnt want to go to an aftermarket source.)
    rip SlamminS15

Question

But what about a good tranny and rearend for a 383 stroker?
    Hot Rod

Exclamation PLEASE!

Can anyone tell me what a good tranny and rear would be on a 383?
    Hot Rod

Well, what do you wanna do with it? This gonna be daily driven? Gonna drive it on the highway?
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear

Turbo400 and 9" ford, these are generally the strongest tranny and rear end available....... then all you have to do is change your convertor and/or center section / gearing to match what you want to do with the vehicle. With multiple center sections you could have 3:00s for the street and 4.56s for saturday night or dragstrip.

This is my only vehical. I want to go through tires! I need it to get me around. It is actualy my daily driver, my show vehical, and my work vehical. I want to be able to race and then turn around and drive it to work the next day! What kind of mods would I need to do for the 400 turbo and 9"?
    Flames make everything better!
    Hot Rod

What would anyones opinion be on using a beefed up 700r3 on a 383? It would be a daily driver, so I like the idea of the overdrive. Just played with on occassion for the grin factor.
    2004 Xtreme

Depends how wild you wanna go with the 383. You can easily build a 400+ hp 383. Thats gonna trash a stock 700R4 quickly.

If you can find someone to beef it up good, and warranty it, that'd be my choice.

Or get yourself one of them there fancy stick shift transmissions, lol.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear

LOL, yeah ,the manual would be the shit, but never done that conversion before, and a little leary of trying it. If I know how to, or pretty sure I can figure out how to do something I will, but that is something I am just too leary of trying. Sounds funny, but Iwould rather do an engine swap than try to rebuild a carb. Never done it. I will swap one, and adjust on one, but wont touch tearing one apart. Weird, I know.
    I have found one so far, 700r4, that was built to handle the HP of the engine I was looking at, so it might be a possibility.
    2004 Xtreme

iv got a 383 in my blazer.... its been fully prepped to race... iv got a tci street fighter 350 trans with a 4500 rpm stall. its still on the stock rear end ( 3.08 single track) and im wating for it to break so i have a reason to get my rear end. the motor ran a 6.90 on the 1\8 in a 69 el camino with a 12 bolt rear with 4.11s. in my truck fring the tire into 3rd my best time is a 8.50:( but for some reason i can beat my buddys camaro thats in the 7.40s on the street....
    the motor=383 with 4 bolt mains,scat steel stroker crank,je pistons,comp 294s solid lift cam,harland sharp rocker arms ,pete jackson gear drive,alum heads with port polish and flowed,port matched victor jr tall,750holly double pumper jetted and gutted,msd pro billet distributor,msd 6al ignition box,msd 8.5 plug wires and thats all powered by a holly "blue"fuel pump (flows120gph),1\2" alum fuel line from the tank to the regulator then to the carb, more shit but thats enuff for now....
    Originally posted by bigjsp
    17 cubic inches = one second drop???............... I think you must be planning a little bit more, but impressive numbers for a one legger.
    Originally posted by Catching Second
    A V8 in a good looking truck.... it's like giving 2 lesbians a couple dildos.

Damn, get that thing hooking up and it will really fly. I would like to see what it does then.
    2004 Xtreme

Exclamation

Can anyone tell me what I would need to do to get a 400 turbo and 9" to fit my 92 4-door?
    Hot Rod