Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: engine size

Slow Ride
    First off you don't need a TH400 a TH350 is plenty strong when built and uses less HP to operate. A 9" is great and will probably never break but also uses up some HP. I am using a 9" and am very happy with it, but a 12 bolt or a Dana are also a good choice. A 9" has a wider availability of parts and gear ratio's though. A TH350 will bolt right in place of a 700R4 but you might have to do some crossmember mods and if you install the 9" you will need to get a new driveshaft made. As far as a 9" it depends on what you want to spend. You can order one to bolt right in or you can find one in a boneyard and get it cut down and modified to fit. I spent close to $2500 on mine from Currie but I upgraded mine considerably and it bolted in no problem. I did it myself in a gravel driveway with only a jack to help me. It went in perfectly and works great, again it all depends on your budget. Speed costs money - how fast do you want to go??$$

Trans Am

I definantely want to beat the hell outa my friends 79 Trans Am Bandit adition. It has a 403. I also want to pull up next to some of these hot shots on the street that think there ride is the shit and blow them away! I plan on taking it to the strip occasionaly.
    Drive fast, Live good, Die happy!
    Hot Rod

I've broken 10 bolts, 12 bolts and turbo350's.

Never broke the dana60 we had in a drag camaro. Never broken a ford 9" or t400.

I suggested the 9" and the 400 because when you want to go faster, you already have the basic parts. If you get tired of racing there is still some inherent value in a 9" or T400. 9" center section/carrier is where alot of the value is and you can swap in a junkyard carrier and sell your spool or posi center for $300 to 400

I consider used turbo350s scrap metal. Some people will still buy 12 bolts. Turbo 400s will always sell. 9" center will always sell
    Last edited by bigjsp; 05-02-2003 at 03:58 PM.

Talking

I apreciate the info guys! :bigthumb:
    Flames make everything better!
    Hot Rod

i HATE fords.. and my knowledge of them isnt too high.. but i was talking about them today.. what about the 351m.. aka the 400.. isnt it a factory stroked 351 that was stroked to 400 ci..? heard they are complete SHIT but still its a 400ci small block..
    WWW.HAGGARDFAB.COM

//NC\\
    Negative Camber

Question Ford 400

If your talking about a Ford 400 then its a big block. A Chevy 400 is a small block, It starts out with a 350.
    Hot Rod

Re: Ford 400

Originally posted by THOTRODR
    A Chevy 400 is a small block, It starts out with a 350.
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    Aside from a 400's having a siamesed block, bigger crank main bearings and larger main caps, shorter rods, steam holes in the cylinder heads and externally balanced harmonic balancers and flexplates..... the 400 is the same as a 350.

tone dos (tone tone) Tony Sport's Avatar

Re: Re: Ford 400

Originally posted by bigjsp
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    Aside from a 400's having a siamesed block, bigger crank main bearings and larger main caps, shorter rods, steam holes in the cylinder heads and externally balanced harmonic balancers and flexplates..... the 400 is the same as a 350.
    :rofl::rofl:you beat me to it, but you forgot that sometimes(not always) they have 3 freeze plugs, and they also sport a much larger bore(you hinted towards it with the siamesed block).:rofl::rofl:

that statement was perposterous. what starts out as a 350?
    rip SlamminS15

Re: Re: Re: Ford 400

Originally posted by Tony SS 350
    :rofl::rofl:you beat me to it,
    I guess OLD GUYs can type faster. :bigthumb:

i think he was confusing a 383 and the 400.

*whisprs quietly*he meant a 383 starts as a 350.
    Originally posted by bigjsp
    :rolleyes:

Ba - bup - pa pa da dang ga dang dang yi dip ti ta dip - blue moon

shoo be do wop!

Just picture your grandparents "bumping uglies" in the back seat of a 57 chevy

350 block

I dont know why I said starts as a 350. I meant uses the same block as a 350, sorry.
    Flames make everything better!
    Hot Rod

check out this site, it's new but could be cool in the future, not really precise yet, you can't chose cams and roller rockers, and pistons ans that shit but soon maybe this site will have that and we all can test out different engines we want to build, i would love to buy one of those programs the racers use to build there engines $$$ expensive though

www.blueprintengines.com
    RUN WITH SIZZORS!!!, I DO!!!

94 sonoma ext cab daily

86 blaze 2 dr 2wd ... v8 and layd on 18's

Thanks!

Thanks for that link man! I know about how I want my 383 now! There are still some things I wish you could do on that site though.
    Hot Rod