Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: More of my dropped 4x4 pics

Did you have to actually take the bars out to drill the holes? I'm thinking about drilling the holes instead of flipping the keys but don't really feel like taking them out if they are going give me trouble.

Nate

Well I took the whole crossmember out and drilled it

current title:
    i've done it with the xmember still on the truck, my 1st 4x4 i did it with some big ass industrial 1/2" drill with no clutch- damn near broke my arms. I'm about halfway done doing it on my truck now with the torch but so far it looks like a blind man did it with his ass...
    :rolleyes:
    at the end of a hard day, i just wanna kick back and smoke some crack.

HAHAAHa..that's some fun shit. Hey Moo Man..do you drive your Blazer daily?? And where in Delta are you located? My gfs g-parents are out in Boundary Park so I'm out there visiting often, I still wouldn't mind looking at your x-member. I wanted to look that one day at the meet when it was raining but I wasn't there long.

Nate

Why not but the 3 inch belltech kit and if its not low enough for you, get some airbags?

this will sound dumb and i think someone said it as a joke once but .......

they were talking about cutting up the lower control arm and moving the balljoint in about an inch...

That would fix all the damn negative camber we get and the bad angles on the ball joints when we drop these 4x4s , Think that it would be a good logical fix instead of making tube control arms from scratch?
    "if its not shaved..i dont want it"

current title:
    hey i was one of the ones talking about narrowing the control arms awhile back. There have been a few threads about it, but as far as I know nobody has tried it yet. I have a set of spare control arms that I plan on trying it on, just haven't quite gotten a chance yet- hopefully in the next week or so, gotta get my torsion bars out 1st...
    :puke:

I should just break down and buy bags but there kinda expensive i'm only 17 buy everything myself.

Hey dj, if you're talking to me..I'm going to bag me Jimmy this summer if I still have it, so I'll be plenty low. I don't feel like paying $460CAD for the Belltech 4x4 drop kit, rather save that money and put it towards bags. But you never know, I may not have this truck next month, I may be on to something else..

Nate

I was thinkin of bags at one time but because I have a 4x4, and it'll deal with alot more work im just going to stick with the belltech drop.

There's not too much more work than bagin a 2wd. It's actually cheaper to bag a 4x4 than a 2wd since you need other lowering components for the front of a 2wd, where as a 4x4 you don't need anything.

Nate

Originally posted by stmotorsports
    hey i was one of the ones talking about narrowing the control arms awhile back. There have been a few threads about it, but as far as I know nobody has tried it yet. I have a set of spare control arms that I plan on trying it on, just haven't quite gotten a chance yet- hopefully in the next week or so, gotta get my torsion bars out 1st...
    :puke:
    I have done it....
    But it was on a '96 Explorer. I cut 1" out of the length
    of the lower arm. Works like a charm. :bigthumb:

Zach
    Originally posted by Blazin Low

I hope he has an epileptic fit while holding that chainsaw and takes himself and his boyfriend out.

85 4x4 AWD mustang killing
    LT-4 powered bad
    mama jama.

can yall help me? i have a 87' s-10 blazer 4x4 the guy i bought it from raised the body.....i need to know how to lower it back down then lower the truck about 3"4" with a somewhat smooth ride i dont have a lot of cash either....and could one of yall show me pic of ur ride lowerd about that far so i know if thats how low i want to go. yall can email me a pic at bigjojo28@hotmail.com

current title:
    Originally posted by zach
    I have done it....
    But it was on a '96 Explorer. I cut 1" out of the length
    of the lower arm. Works like a charm. :bigthumb:

Zach
    REEALLY... did you cut it outside the sway bar? That's what i was thinking of doing so I wouldn't have to shorten that too. I was planning on cutting mine between the ball joint and sway bar mount- it's pretty tight in there but I think I can pull it off. I'm guessing you probably had to cut the tie rods shorter to get the toe right then? Did you have to shorten the axles at all? Was the ride completely different after or any problems or anything? Any pics?
    :bigthumb: :bigthumb:

Originally posted by stmotorsports
    REEALLY... did you cut it outside the sway bar? That's what i was thinking of doing so I wouldn't have to shorten that too. I was planning on cutting mine between the ball joint and sway bar mount- it's pretty tight in there but I think I can pull it off. I'm guessing you probably had to cut the tie rods shorter to get the toe right then? Did you have to shorten the axles at all? Was the ride completely different after or any problems or anything? Any pics?
    :bigthumb: :bigthumb:
    The arm was cut between where the ball joint and the
    sway bar would be. Instead of cutting a 1'' strip out of the
    arm I overlapped the arm. I placed the short piece under the
    longer piece and then welded it back together. I did this so I
    could have a lap joint and weld all the way around instead of
    a butt joint. As long as you don't move the sway bar mount I don't forsee you having to shorten it. There is enough
    adjustment in the tie rods to adjust for correction. The Explorer
    was a 2wd not a 4wd so we didn't have to shorten the axles.
    The truck rides real well for a Ford that sits on the bumpstops.
    If you have any more questions PM me.

Zach
    Originally posted by Blazin Low

I hope he has an epileptic fit while holding that chainsaw and takes himself and his boyfriend out.

85 4x4 AWD mustang killing
    LT-4 powered bad
    mama jama.