Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Want better braking for your 2wd??

You need to use slotted rotors for your 96. They have rotors for all applications. They'll fit just like stock. You can't use the 98 and up style like mine on your 96.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley
    Go before show any day of the week.

Tonight I put them to the test. Well one, I haven't heated them up to see how well they do against fade.

Rolling off the eway, about 65-70 mph. Hit them hard. Pedal felt good and firm. But, the fronts locked up almost immediately. Truck slide sideways. Scared the hell out of me. didn't think they'd lock up going that fast.

Truck was pulling down quickly though. I think they would have stopped pretty well if they hadn't locked up.

All in all, very pleased.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear

will those calipers fit stock 87 rotors?... i don't want to have to chane everything... i have rims on the way.. i have 5 on 4 3/4 and the new blazers are different lug pattern...
    "I chose to take the red pill"

www.myspace.com/blazinby

www.angelfire.com/crazy2/blazinby/blazinby.html
    check it out

the new blazers arentn different lug patterns.
    Originally posted by bigjsp
    :rolleyes:

Ba - bup - pa pa da dang ga dang dang yi dip ti ta dip - blue moon

shoo be do wop!

Just picture your grandparents "bumping uglies" in the back seat of a 57 chevy

I had to replace a wheel berring on my 00. I could not find one int the after market so I had to go used or dealer and since the dealer wanted $$$$$$$$$$460.00 for the flippen bearing I bought one from a junk yard.

But my 2000 with the dual piston set up stops 10 times better than my 96 did.
    check out my rides at www.streetsourcemag.com/Profile.aspx?profileid=18534

Originally posted by BlazinBy
    will those calipers fit stock 87 rotors?... i don't want to have to chane everything... i have rims on the way.. i have 5 on 4 3/4 and the new blazers are different lug pattern...
    No they won't fit. The design is totally different. The old style calipers just bolts to the spindle.

The newer blazer style has the caliper, and the mounting bracket, or the "saddle". This allows the caliper to float. That increases clamping force because it equals it out more.

Bolt pattern is the same.

For those looking to do the swap, look at your local yard, or ebay. Trying to buy all this stuff brand new aint cheap.

Junk Runner Jr
    Get the part numbers from your local dealership. Then try gmpartsdirect.com next time.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear

Im going to try that c5 vette brake idea. I found the bearings at a
    salvage yard (100$ a piece) and the c5 brakes on ebay (250$). I am going to buy bell tech dropp spindles new cause they are hard to find used. Thanks for the awsome idea ZZ4

You making your own brackets to use those C5 rotors and calipers?
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear

Yea. I am fortunate enough to have access to my work's machine shop 24/7.I will let you know how it goes. Hey when
    you mentioned a price tag of 900$ for a baer set up ,what did that include? I thought all those kits were like 3500$ Thanks

Im actually looking into a bigger baer set up now. Im going to a tall spindle conversion for better handling, and I can't use my blazer brake set up with it. So, I might just bite the bullet and shell out the cash.

I can put together a factory 12" disc with the tall conversion, but I think its gonna be close to the same ammount for the Baer kit. Again, I don't have any solid prices yet, but I figure if I can spend a few extra bucks and go bigger, might as well.

Im looking at a 13" dual piston set up, similar to whats on those C5's. I think its around $1300. I haven't gotten a hold of them yet. Thats their most popular, called the Track Kit.

I think the 11 baer set up is around the$900 like I mentioned. That should include everything needed. A few things I have heard from others, everything you would need is in a kit, and they have great customer service.

They have tons of different kits avaiable. From 11" single piston, to 14" 10 piston set ups.

One more thing bro, you should need at least 17" for those C5's.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear

Im running 18s in the front so no problem there. Can you explain
    the tall spindle performance advantage? will you have to go back to the old rotor/bearing combo? Sounds like as much as im into this vette brake setup I could have spent a little more and got the baer setup for a little more without having to fabricate a bracket. That wouldnt make me happy becauseI never liked the blazers rotor/bearing setup.
    Now i can use flat centercaps on my wheels due to the absense of the stud type spindle. I dont like those bubble looking center caps that come with most wheels .I have a set of Carlsson center caps that are flat and compliment the wheel much better in my opinion.

Im into this now for 830.00. Hey do you know what company
    will sell a 14 in rotor set by itself?

The tall spindle conversion creates better angles on the suspension geometry. I think its a better negative camber. I don't know the exact technical specs. I dont' have my notes right here. But, when using the taller spindle, you also need an aftermarket upper control arm. The new upper is shorter in length. The stockers would require way too much shimming, and probably couldnt' get a proper alignment.

I wanted a dramatic gain in handling, and Im told this is a pretty good one. I have to redo my brake set up, so i figure if I have to, to upgrade. Like I said, a 12" rotor set up that I can put together is gonna be almost as much as a Baer kit. So for a few more bucks, even better braking, and fill up the wheel even more.

The S-series use the same suspension as the G bodies do. The tall spindle conversion is very common with them. Theres like 3 or 4 different companies that make the uppers.

I don't believe that theres any way around the bearing set up. I know you can get the Baer kit with a divorced rotor option. But, you'd have the old style bearings as a hub, just not rotor. And of course, thats extra.

The tall spindle conversion is going to add to the cost of my brake set up. Im going to be using a set of drop spindles to keep my truck lowered, and the cost of the new upper control arms.

If I remember right, one of the members from the S-series forum bought the complete kit from Baer.

This was some info he gave me

"Well the kit i have is the 78-88 G-body kit, biult on a stock B-body Spindle, it is the 13" track kit with 2 piston PBR calipers and the 2 piece crossdrilled and slotted and zinc washed rotors. I have the Hotchkis tubular upper arms that this kit is designed for, and the whole kit with shipping was like 1700 bucks, it was like 11 or 1200 for the brake kit, then 400 for the upper arms plus shipping."

I think thats kinda what Im gonna run. But with drop spindles, and Im not sure about the 2 peice rotors. I might keep the one peice to save a little money.

I've got more info on the tall spindle conversion if you want.

I don't know if any companies will sell 14" rotors by themselves. I know Baer only sells everything as a kit. I don't know anything that has them factory either to get them off of.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear

So it sounds like an increased neg camber rate. Thats what a shorter upper a-arm will do right?

Did you notice a .015" gap between the hub mount tabs and the
    spindle? I have bell tech spins, you would think they woud be machined correctly. I might grind the chamfer a little more to seat the bearing .