Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Want better braking for your 2wd??

Originally posted by IRSblazer
    Did you notice a .015" gap between the hub mount tabs and the
    spindle? I have bell tech spins, you would think they woud be machined correctly. I might grind the chamfer a little more to seat the bearing .
    That gap may be allowing for the factory dust sheilds. You could cut the center out of a factory set from any year of 4x4 s-10, or cut your own shims out of some 18 or 20 gauge sheet metal. You may also have to shim out your caliper brackets also.
    I did the dual piston conversion to my 4x4 years ago. I remachined the 4x4 spindle to make a tall drop spindle, take a look.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow i completely forgot this thread was here!

ZZ i got a question for you, on your 92 did you have antilock brakes hooked up when you swapped to the 98+ setup?

I had been thinking of doing that to my blaze a while back, but since mine is an 84 it has no modern ABS implemented.
    I already get lockup if i hit it hard enough say in an emergancy type situation.
    Its scary shit when you arent expecting it. If i go with the full float calipers and 11 brakes im afraid it will lock up more regularly.

I also have the first generation 1LE camaro rears and since i kept the stock proportioning valve i dont get that great performance from them. I have looked most places for the camaro valve but no parts stores carry them. I think im going to have to upgrade to the ls1 type if i can find a newer complete axle (mine is the older tall rectangle type) because the parking brake setup on the pre 87 discs sucks ass. i have to have that functioning properly to pass inspection in texas.

I was thinking in the near future on redoing all my tubular lines with larger diameter tubing and running braided lines to the front.
    With that all in i was thinking of having my own dis valve machined where it would take the two lines coming off the resivour and having them join in the new machined valve with full force going to all four wheels.

with all that and the newer components you think im going to have lockup problems?
    Superbee is a Flaming homosexual!
    A firm believer that women are physcotic.

Will this break setup work on a old 88 s10 blazer 2wd with a 3.73 olds bravada drum rear end? I didn't see any where on here to make it work on mine. I'm interested in doing it for mine but need more info. Or would it be better to just put in a rear end from a camaro or or a set up from a ls1 camaro? What do you guys think?

www.cardomain.com/ride/1169679
    Check out my ride.

the frotn break upgrade will work on any year s-series

the rear will depend on what yea rhte vehcile is. if the rear is a 93> you "should" be alright

But what parts would I need. I've never done something like this before and I didn't really understand what I would have to do. Or what I would need. Would I need different axles for my rear or what. The front end is 88 so I don't know what I need there either. I have a set of 1.5 inch wheel adapters with a set of 17's going on tomorrow. Is there a better way to find out what I need. Any ideas. thanks again.

www.cardomain.com/ride/1169679
    Check out my ride.

this is gonna sound really vague, but hows this tall spindle swap ride? Like a stock S10, has a very kinda rugged truck ride, does this give it a sportier, tighter ride, or does this keep the truck feel, just give better geometry?

Didnt seem to change the ride any. Less adding some bumpsteer to the truck. But that really doesnt have anything to do wth the ride either.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley
    Go before show any day of the week.

jim quick question

are the front brake lines the same for the regular 2wd brakes complared to the 98 + design

my blazer needs new front lines and i was thinking of doing SS lines then upgrading to the blazer brakes on down the road. but dont want to have to buy two sets of SS lines

I believe the blazers actually use different lines, because the hard lines on the frame are bigger. But I didnt have any problems using the s-10 SS lines with the 98+ blazer calipers.

I've used the stock s-10 SS lines with stock calipers, 98+ blazers, and with my impala calipers now.

Im using another set of s-10 SS lines on the back of my truck too, with the LS1 rear calipers. I believe the caliper banjo bolt is the same size for all of them.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley
    Go before show any day of the week.

cool thats what i wanted to know

jim what year was your blazer?

i was just looking up lines in my LMC truck magazine and it shows 2 front line designs

first design runs from 82-91 second design is from 91-93

the difference is in how the line attaches to the frame, one screws to the frame, the other bolts to the frame

edit* i saw earlier in the thread your blazer was a 92 looks like you had the new style line.

but you said the banjo bolt ends are all the same so thats good. i might still check jsut to be sure
    Last edited by 6SpeedBlazer; 11-14-2006 at 07:31 PM.

I would like to do the 98+ upgrade to my 4x4, what all needs to be changes on the 4x4's and what can stay the same, my truck doesn't need regular inspections in Sask. so there is no worries there, it just needs to work (better)

Banned
    hey im going to upgrade my brakes and everywhere i look doesnt seem to have a yes or no answer to the above question. Can you bolt the 98 caliper to the old FOUR WHEEL DRIVE 1st gen spindle or not? Suppose i could just look at the parts and compair for myself but why do that when i can ask :D

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

Quote Originally Posted by Superbee View Post
    hey im going to upgrade my brakes and everywhere i look doesnt seem to have a yes or no answer to the above question. Can you bolt the 98 caliper to the old FOUR WHEEL DRIVE 1st gen spindle or not? Suppose i could just look at the parts and compair for myself but why do that when i can ask :D
    no, you bolt the caliper saddle to the old spindle and then the caliper to the saddle.

however i do not know if the saddle will actually bolt to the old knuckle.
    Last edited by 6SpeedBlazer; 07-05-2010 at 12:05 PM.

Banned
    Thankyou mark, that helped none whatsoever.

Id love to do some c5 brakes and have a local machine shop make the caliper adapters for cheap and mod the spindle myself, but even used vette hardware is too expensive so naw.

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4