Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 350 Conversion Progress

350 Conversion Progress

Im going to be doing the V8 conversion in my truck and I thought I'd post the pics as I work my way throught it. If anyone at anytime has any hints or comments that might make my life easier throughout this process feel free to do so..

here's what the truck looks like minus the p-shoped drop..

Off with the Hood!!!

I did this bymyself and managed not to scratch it...thank god..

it was relitively easy...

Last edited by 325iSBimmer; 04-25-2003 at 11:27 PM.

Grill and Bumper removed..

this part was also extremely easy...just undo the bolts and voila..she comes off

Last edited by 325iSBimmer; 04-25-2003 at 11:27 PM.

right fender removed...

the fenders weren't that hard to remove but the again i have full access to air powered tools and cutting torches if some of the bolts dont agree that they should come out...

Last edited by 325iSBimmer; 04-25-2003 at 11:28 PM.

Left Fender removed...

the old GUTLESS 2.8 L V6 still in its spot.... not for long though...its spot is soon to be in the dumpster out back...

The Rad Support still On...

This is as far as i got tonite.... tomorrow i will try to get the rad support out and start working on removing everything that doesnt need to be there for the 350.... then I will pull the engine if time allows tomorrow...

BTW.....after taking a closer look under my truck i have realized that i may not be able to remove the 4x4 like i thought i could... the question i have is will 2WD spinds fit the 4WD control arms...
    cause if not than i can still disconect the 4x4 but i'd still have to leave the transfer case and the drive axels in place..which is a lot of added weight that i dont want...

Last edited by 325iSBimmer; 04-25-2003 at 11:36 PM.

Doesnt look like this supernova's Avatar
    is that a 4x4?? by the way looks like your off to a good start

yes it is a 4x4 but once the old engine is out im going to see if i can't remove the 4x4 totally....

yeah the start has gone smoothly so far..but then again Im onnly like 5% into the swap..but hopefully things will go pretty smooth... I cant wait to start the fun bit of putting the performance goodies on the 350..

CLonInG IN ProgReSS (ha) JuStBlAzIN's Avatar
    to my understanding you should be able to remove all the 4x4 shit out. and get someone who is sick with metal fab you up some tubler a-arms and you could regular 2wd spindles. o yea you would have to add a x-member i think. not to sure. y would u want to take out all the 4x4 shit? you can get an AWD tranfercase off an astro van and make it into a awd 350. o yea as far as i heard that it is a hole shit load of work tryig to take all the front axles and pumkin out.
    "Fords are like tampons, every pussy has one!"

RIP..... 89 s10blazer

Keep goin' until you hear the V8 rumble
    You're gonna love double/triple the horsepower

What are you doing for engine mounts, radiator tranny?

You can't use 2WD control arms or spindles but I think I remember someone on the site was working on some custom made control arms that would accept 2WD spindles.

Some guys scrap the front differental and axles otherwise you'll need the custom 4WD-V8 oil pan. Tranny from 2.8 won't bolt to a V8 so if you use a turbo-350 you can scrap the transfer case too.
    Originally posted by Blazin Low:
    In 1972 a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire Tony Low
    :D

your about to join us in the elite of the blazers, call on us for help if you need it
    04 EC Silverado 4.8L,Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, K&N, Viper, ACT, USSpeedo, Matrix, Whelen, Blackbear, 22" Eagles, Nittos,Russel,Magnaflow
    85 S-15 2.5L/4spd, RF P1 subs, highs & T4004, JL 250/1, SD 4-link, AIM LCAs, 1/2 valves, Blazer interior, 17" Eagles w/BFGs, phantom grill, 140 amp alt

yeah..Im getting a turbo-350
    I just figured out today that i can just remove the drive axels from the front and the bearing assymbly wont be affected cause unlike most cars the bearing assymbly is bolted to the spindel... so the 4x4 spindels can still be used...

thanx for all the encouragement and help guys....

EDIT: as i type this Im actually having problems getting the little adjustment blocks for the torsion bars out.... i'm lowering the truck cause Im as far as i can go with the engine removal until I get the AC evacuated on Monday...

the blocks wont come out because there is still way to much pressure from the torsion bars on them( the truck is up in the air on a hoist)...
    gonna go look for some info on this but if anyone can help...just post...

Thanks

Andre
    Last edited by 325iSBimmer; 04-26-2003 at 01:01 PM.

today i decided to lower the front(4x4) using my version of the torsion bar trick....

heres the puller set up and ready to hold the torsion bar in place so that the key can be removed