Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 350 Conversion Progress

here's what the engine bay looked like at the end of the day...

by next weekend..i hope to be test fitting the engine and tranny..
    the motor mounts are coming on monday and then I will need to test fit a few times before I put the "real" engine in there and start reassembling everything...should be interesting....I'll keep u guys posted....

Hey I saw some of your pictures, I'm almost done with my V8 conversion. Out of curiosity, was it easier to put the engine in by removing the fenders? I left mine on, We had a few minor adjustments to do. I got the motor out of a 86 truck. 350, 30 thousands over with high compression oversized pistons, drag racing cam (mid to high range) solid lifters, eldebrock performer RPM intake manifold, hedmen headers, rochester 4bbl quadrajet carb, stock radiator, th400 tranny, and that is where i stand. I have a few pictures if you want to take a look. A quick question what should I do about the steering shaft hitting the header?
    Chevy, Eats Fords, Shits Dodges

Here is the custom dashboard I did. I ripped out that dumb computer controlled dashboard and made my own. Also the entire interior has new house carpeting in. Also parts of the dashboard are blue. I have a custom designed center console with my DVD player in it.

Here is another picture of the front. I'm waiting on my driveshaft. Instead of paying $350 for a new one, I took 2 old driveshafts out of a stock blazer and welding them together with the correct slip yoke for a Th400 tranny. Just have to have it balance. And also figure out that steering shaft..

Blazed350Chevy- thats a nice setup U got there.... I like your dashboard setup..and that motor looks like some serious business....

as far as the drive shaft goes...I've heard of people removing it at the firewall and cutting out some metal to make it sit a little straighter and that should keep it out of the header...... can't speak on experience because Im not at that stage yet....

I think having the fenders out of the way made it a bit easier but the real reason they were removed was because my truck had just been painted not too long ago so I didn't want to risk scratching

post some more pics of that progress if you want...

keep it up:bigthumb:

:bigthumb: Keep it up man.
    92 2dr 2wd. Finally.

Originally posted by Blazed350Chevy
    also figure out that steering shaft..
    On mine I disconnected the steering shaft where the flange bolts to the firewall and moved it out about 1" towards the fenderwell. Then drilled some new holes to bolt it down. S-10's that came with a 4.3 engine already have this done from the factory
    Originally posted by Blazin Low:
    In 1972 a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire Tony Low
    :D

So what happend?

325iSBimmer did you ever finish?

WOW...its been soo long since I've posted any progress....
    Im waiting on some parts for the engine and I've been a lazy ass and not done much of anything else to it....

I'll see if i cant muster up some motivation to get some more stuff done this weekend

was your old tranny an automatic?

Well, Its been a LONG time but Im back on my V8S10 project. Long story as to why I havent done much but we'll just get on with the progress!

First off, the crate engine deal didnt work out. so im back to building my own very mild engine.

The crank is out being machined some minor scratching on the connecting rod journals and from what we could tell it was still the orginal bearings. so i think they're going to machine .010" off the crank.

Im trying to decide on a cam which I will order next week.
    ANYONE wiht a suggestion feel free. I can get COMP cams readily so one of theirs would be good

The heads are goign out to be Hot bathed and cleaned. possibly have the valve seats machined and valves too.

heres a pic of the shop im working in

Last edited by 325iSBimmer; 01-15-2005 at 08:12 PM.

Not sure where I left off with the engine but I've removed ALL the internals except the cam journal bearings. I even removed all the frost plugs and Oil jakcet plugs!

I degreased the motor and scrubed and the washed with a power washer repeatidly untill I was satisfied

The I used a spray on paint remover
    and scraped and washed and repeated untill I was satisfied

Then I dryed the block thuroughly and honed out the cylinder walls and the lifter cylinders

I taped everything I dont want paint on and painted it yellow
    BUT quickly decided I dont like it. So im gonna go to Red

Originally posted by 88blaze
    was your old tranny an automatic?
    Yes it was and it had 15,000 KM on a Rebuild that cost me $2100 when I was silly and didnt know any better. I still have it if ur interested

hey 325i where u from the toronto area? my buddy revshot is on maxbimmer forums.

let me know
    craig
    RUN WITH SIZZORS!!!, I DO!!!

94 sonoma ext cab daily

86 blaze 2 dr 2wd ... v8 and layd on 18's

yeah Jay.
    I did the exhaust on his car.
    We met at a meet. Im just outside of St.Catherines