Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 link Q

My .02...

I would think the SSC kit would work but it would put a tremendous amount of stress on the 2 bolts holding the 2 link on. Personally I am running a 4-link because it offers the most advantages with a V8 minitruck. I would agree that to properly run a 2-link is to use a panhard but still agree that the SSC kit would work if you don't drive like a madman.

L8
    DFWminis.com
    AIM s/n Dragginblazer

here is what clyde(owner of ssc) said over at s10f

"The kit works great and we have had none broken which is impossible unless the axle tube breaks also. Every customer who has it is very pleased with it on lots of different trucks. People who dont understand how it works should not make judgement on it. Actually its better than a panhard bar for a few reasons. One is it keeps it centered thru out all travel for tucking 20+ wheels. Two is the panhard actually bind the ubolts as it moves up and down moving the axle side to side which will cause the ubolts to get loose. Three is it makes installation very simple. This kit is great for getting great lift and ride. Everything we build is proven and is guarateed for life. This kit is 90% bolt in and for the price comparison to anything Air Ride sells you can buy a nice welder for the difference. You will not get a better warranty or customer service from the guys at Air Ride or any where else. We are a small company who do this because we enjoy building custom trucks and we use everything we sell on our customers trucks."

and here is the link to it:
    http://www.s10forum.com/forum/showth...244#post175244
    KAPOW!

Originally posted by LOtownPumper

Have you ever considered that Bill and I have similar opinions because we both actually understand how something works??

I am no fan of two links either. My thoughts on them is that if someone really understands the negatives and still wants one, go for it.
    And I also have similar opinions on suspension designs as lotown and bill. And I didn't learn them from them. I was a compentent custom car builder long before I ever heard of either of them.
    Instead of spending so much time trying to justify the design, why don't you read up on it. Here I will give a book suggestion...Chassis Engineering by Herb Adams. It covers four links, three links, satchell links ( a version of a triangulated four link ), trailing arms ( two links ), and a whole variety of other things.
    Larry
    www.innovativeairsuspension.com
    AirRide, KP, MIC, SMC, Parker, Viair... I sell all the good stuff.

Originally posted by LOtownPumper
    Yeah, like he is going to tell you the truth. He's a salesman trying to get you to buy _HIS_ product.
    You know if i was a salesman and I had a product that i was going to sell, and it was gonna break or mess up in some way. I sure as hell would not put a lifetime warrenty on it

just my opinion...
    KAPOW!

:rolleyes:

I understand how the two link works and and there no pan hard bar idea looks like it would work just fine...... I do understand that with a pan hard bar when the bags are inflated the axel sifts to the side ... cause the bar moves not only in a up and down motion ... but in a side to side ... in short think of the bar as going in a big circle..... the more you lift the axel the more side sift you have ... its not much but it is still a sift in the axels place ment.... i can see where this would be a problem when you are wanting a lot of lift.....

shifts sorry ... for the miss spelling

Have U Had Your V8 Today LOW PSI's Avatar
    He is warranting against his part breaking. Nobody said it would break. He isn't waranting a poor design. That is what the whole point here is. Not that it will or won't break but that it is a poor design. Tell you guys what. Build your self a 2 link based on their design put it on your truck drive with it somewhat aired down, so your tires are just barely in the wheel well, then take a nice turn and say good buy to your fender. I know because I made a 2 link just like the one they have on their site, with no panhard bar. You can shift the axle side to side by just kicking the wheel. But don't take my word for it try it yourself and learn. It will probably last a little while but what happens when those urethane bushings up front start to wear out because of the excess pressure, It will start to sway more and more. Just put a panhard in it isn't that much more work. And speaking again from experience, with a panhard bar, if installed correctly you will have little more than .125-.25" controlled movement side to side throught full suspension travel.

Originally posted by LOW PSI
    He is warranting against his part breaking. Nobody said it would break. He isn't waranting a poor design. That is what the whole point here is. Not that it will or won't break but that it is a poor design. Tell you guys what. Build your self a 2 link based on their design put it on your truck drive with it somewhat aired down, so your tires are just barely in the wheel well, then take a nice turn and say good buy to your fender. I know because I made a 2 link just like the one they have on their site, with no panhard bar. You can shift the axle side to side by just kicking the wheel. But don't take my word for it try it yourself and learn. It will probably last a little while but what happens when those urethane bushings up front start to wear out because of the excess pressure, It will start to sway more and more. Just put a panhard in it isn't that much more work. And speaking again from experience, with a panhard bar, if installed correctly you will have little more than .125-.25" controlled movement side to side throught full suspension travel.

There you go....First hand testimonial...

I don't think it will shift because there are to many solid mounting points for it to move. And i don't think it is a poor design either.

point A. attaches to the frame both sides(permanent mounting point)(this point will not allow side movement only up/down piovt)

Point B. attaches to the axle

Point C. attaches the links together (bars are welded parallel)(permanent mounting point)

Don't you see that with the bars welded together there is no possible way the axle could shift side to side. The rod ends are not like a traditional 4 link rod end. I think its an awesome kit! Kind of high in price, but still a nice kit.

This is pretty much same design that 4wheeler's trailing arms are based on. And we all know that 4 wheelers don't have a pan hard bar.
    KAPOW!

Originally posted by xtremer-pxl
    point A. attaches to the frame both sides(permanent mounting point)(this point will not allow side movement only up/down piovt)

Don't you see that with the bars welded together there is no possible way the axle could shift side to side. The rod ends are not like a traditional 4 link rod end. I think its an awesome kit! Kind of high in price, but still a nice kit.

Point A is exactly where you are wrong. Those bushings do allow for side to side movement. They are exactly the reason why you need a panhard bar. The crossbar welded to the lower bars does not change this.

Read LOW PSI's post above about how his axle swayed side to side and rubbed his fenders without a panhard bar. Yes the panhard bar does force the axle to move side to side as the suspension goes up and down, but this is intentional. Without the bar the axle is free to move as much as it likes side to side.

I don't see anything awesome about the kit (except maybe that it is painted blue, and I like blue)....

Q: You know what the difference is between a cactus and a blazer X?

A: The cactus has the prick on the outside!

why you got to be like that?
    KAPOW!

You know atleast i suggested a 2 link...

what have you guy contributed to this thread other than a bunch of arguments and negative comments?
    KAPOW!

Q: You know what the difference is between a cactus and a blazer X?

A: The cactus has the prick on the outside!

why you got to be like that?
    I'm not being a prick. I'm just trying to get you to understand the truth... What do I have to gain from lying to you? Nothing.

I personally don't even know why I bother sometimes...oh ya, I remember now... I'm a nice guy...

You know atleast i suggested a 2 link...

what have you guy contributed to this thread other than a bunch of arguments and negative comments?
    Quote from first post:
    I was wondering how would I make the pan hard bar.... and can I make a two link that wont need a pan hard.....

He wanted to know how to make a panhard bar, and if he could do a 2 Link without a panhard bar. The answer to the second question is NO. Unless he builds a Watts Link instead, but that's even more difficult/expensive...