Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4.3L V6 turbo?

4.3L V6 turbo?

I was reading about typhoons and scyclones, and it said they came stock with 4.3L V6 turbos. I have a 4.3L in my blazer and I was wondering where I could pick up a turbo? Do they sell them?

First of all I want to welcome you to the site.. I wont rip you a new one because of this question, but you should search around for some of the posts and discussions we've had regarding typhoons and syclones.. First of all, the 4.3L in your blazer is relatively the same as the sy/ty, but the sy/ty has been beefed up to be able to handle the pressure of forced induction (a turbo). Because sy/ty's are very rare, it is VERY difficult to come across one of these turbo's for your vehicle, and if you do find one, be prepared to pay an outrageous amount of money for one (supply and demand)... So to answer your qestion, no, they dont sell them and its going to be very difficult, bothing in finding one and financially, for you to turbo your 4.3....
    LT1/4L60E/Shaved handles, emblems, antenna/5-4 Drop/16" Xtreme Wheels.

In 1095, Pope Urban II commanded the beginning of the most heinous period ever documented: The Crusades. While killing over 100,000 Turks in 1098, the Christians "did no other harm to the women found in [the enemy's] tents - save that they ran their lances through their bellies," according to Christian chronicler Fulcher of Chartres.

I would like to welcome you to the site as well....I do recomend using the search function. But i was board, so here is a little info for you to ponder.
    The SyTy engine has many differences (lower compression eutectic pistons, rods, nodular main caps, etc) to make it survive 15 PSI boost. The Ty wiring harness is different, and the computer too. So you can't just take a Ty chip and put it into a blazer. We don't get all the same codes that u guys get. If you decide to bolt on a Ty turbo onto a regular 4.3, it isn't going to last very long.
    I have heard of people putting the Ty turbo and what not on the stock 4.3 motor, but in most cases they don't last that long. There have also been times when ty and sy owners have had blown motors, and gotten new factory motors from GM; GM had sent then a regular 4.3 motor not the Turbo ready motor and they blow them up too.
    In short, I would say either goodluck finding a complete sy/ty motor, or building one piece by piece. I would try and find a setup that is already specificly made for you engine.
    1993 GMC Typhoon
    1988 Blazer Bagged and Draggin SOLD
    2005 STi
    "No mods required, nuff said."

Thanks for the replys, So would it just be better to drop in a 350?

Mach performance is now selling a turbo kit for the s-series. I've seen them in on 2nd gens, but not a 1st.

They aren't cheap though.

Theres a few companies that sell supechargers for them.

If you wanna make some serious power, you gonna need to build the motor for the right application.

You can make a 4.3 smokin, but its not gonna be cheap.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley
    Go before show any day of the week.

blazinlow.com's honda guy Bangin' Blazer's Avatar
    there is actually a ty engine on ebay. i will post the link. but be warned, the pic of the ty may make you cry:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2413415789

he says he has 2 available
    wrecked the Blazer,
    guess my name changed from "Bangin' Blazer" to "Bang into 18-wheeler Blazer"

CLonInG IN ProgReSS (ha) JuStBlAzIN's Avatar
    yup i went up to sacramento today and looked at them. i am gonna try to work a deal with the guy to buy that blue typhoon he has there. the truck rolled over and the engin is flooded. so if u buy that engin u will have to take it all apart and put it back together. also the other one that he has also a syclone motor with around 60k miles. i am gonna tell u that u will be needing ot pay an arm and a lag to meet his reserve
    "Fords are like tampons, every pussy has one!"

RIP..... 89 s10blazer

If you happen to go back up there to look at the truck again or anything, get the VIN#'s off of them. They sy/ty guys like to keep track of trucks, wrecked or on the road.
    Thanks
    1993 GMC Typhoon
    2005 STi

i might go back up on sunday. and work out some cash. i did not see the other truck. i looked at the blue one and had my friend who owns a body shop, and said it would talke him around 6months and a cheap blazer to get the body parts off to fix. i might do it if the guy works or like the cash that i am gonna offer him. i will ask him though where the other one is.

hey thypoon, what is so special bout the 94 ty w/ out the body kit? the only that they made? also do u know where the numnber ones are?

RIP..... 89 s10blazer

Hey...Not to bump this up or anything, but I was reading a couple a month old issue of Hot Rod magazine, then had this article about getting performance out of a chevy small block .... 4.3L ...ANYWAYS this company sells a blower, and they got 300 HP outa it. They said with nitrus they could hit 450 HP and make an s-10 run like 11 sec 1/4s
    Dynomax Exhaust 3" - K&N
    Rollpan - Smooth chrome bumper
    Elemental Designs - Avionixx- CDT

hey thypoon, what is so special bout the 94 ty w/ out the body kit? the only that they made? also do u know where the numnber ones are?
    I don't really know much about the 94 with no cladding. I did so some looking for you and this is all i could find 94 TY As far as i know and from what i heard, that was the only ty made in 94.
    1993 GMC Typhoon
    2005 STi

i was asking becasue this guy named ray owns it over here near santa cruz. and i went up there to check out some cladding parts that he has and was telling me bout it. but i was not digging it. also this guy is inlove with grand nationals. and he says that that white one is the only one made. and his wife drive it around. no lie this guy is like 50+

RIP..... 89 s10blazer

Banned
    there is a guy with a black cyclone in my area, ive seen drive by like 4 or 5 times. by god ill find that bastard someday.

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

Thumbs up typhoon engine swap

I am currently in the middle of completing a typhoon engine swap into a 4 door Jimmy/Blazer. But yes it's true............it can be very expensive(I got Lucky...somewhat) I originally purchased a package that consisted of the engine,trans,transfer case, computer,wiring harness and guages for only $2000. Because my original intent was to install it in a 2 wheel drive Astro van, I sold off the transfer case and dash for $700. So I was only into the project for $1300.......CHEAP, until I tried to find a competent person to marry the very different wiring harnesses. After receiving many NOs and some outrageous quotes I decided to buy a Blazer/Jimmy. I purchased a 1992 Four Door Jimmy for $600 bucks and pulled out the vortec and installed the Ty engine. So far it has been very easy . The motor dropped right in and the harness plugged right in. I will first try it with the stock Jimmy trans because I am curious on running the truck in the two wheel drive mode. Eventually I will have to buy a TY/Sy transfer case and do All Wheel Drive. I will update everyone after its finished!

Re: typhoon engine swap

[i]I will first try it with the stock Jimmy trans because I am curious on running the truck in the two wheel drive mode. Eventually I will have to buy a TY/Sy transfer case and do All Wheel Drive. I will update everyone after its finished! [/B]
    The truck should run just fine in the 2wd...There are a few ty's and sy's running around with no propshaft in. I don't know how long your tranny will with running the boost and more torque, but i don't know what what tranny is in the stock blazers.
    1993 GMC Typhoon
    2005 STi