Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "knock" sound coming from rear axle when gas is applied

Banned
    now that i think about it, my leaf springs broke about 4 years ago going down the highway, we got it fixed, maybe they arent on good enough or loose or somthing, so that may be your problem.

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

I'm thinking it's maybe a mistightened ubolt from the way you described the noise. Did you tighten them in an X pattern and torque them to about 80-90 lbs? <I guage 90 lbs by the amount of torque it takes to make that vein in your forehead pop out, LOL> The mount has a post that sticks up into the differential. If the diff is shifting/moving around on the mount a little this could account for the noise, especially when you apply more torque to it when stepping on the gas. Worth a look?

k it turns out that it was my spring pack hitting my overload spring. Since I pulled the leaf, the leaf pack was sitting low. But now, the leafs are EXTREMELY soft and I bottom out and it makes a clanking noise when i go over annnnything. So Im gonna put my leafs pack in and just get a 4" drop block instead of a 3. Much less hassle. If anyone has some 4" blocks they wanna donate let me know ;);)

If you have a 15mm, 18mm wrench, a socket slightly smaller than the ujoint nub, a hammer and a c-clamp you can do it yourself... Otheriwse it'll probably be around 200 bux... the ujoints themselves should only be about 25.00
    Support Sattelite Radio! Goto www.siriusbackstage.com
    goto http://www.pghconsulting.net/teal to see my updated pics!

-- I won't bag it and/or drop it, because face it, I'm too old to have a ghetto-mobile
    "I live with 2 retards and a deaf person.....It's not so bad..." --Grandma

haha did u not read my above post??? Its no my ujoints....its because i pulled a spring.

CHECK TO SEE THAT REAR IS NOT BANGING ON FLOOR AT THE PINION AREA
    84 xCab S-15. No longer ugly but still quick

Vibration can also come from improper pinion angle. 4"+ static drops should have a modified pinion angle from stock.
    DFWminis.com
    AIM s/n Dragginblazer

Actually that post was meant to go elsewhere, lol, oops

-- I won't bag it and/or drop it, because face it, I'm too old to have a ghetto-mobile

Originally posted by billp
    CHECK TO SEE THAT REAR IS NOT BANGING ON FLOOR AT THE PINION AREA
    like the area of the rear u joint? i dont think it would be possible considering i have the u bolts tightened really tight so it wouldnt be able to go up. But maybe it is the pinion angle, so Im gonna order some slanted 4" djm blocks and put my leafs back in. Should be better after that.

Doesnt look like this supernova's Avatar
    lol umm i doubt it, four inch blocks make for a bumpy ride. And how many leafs did you pull. My friend has his second biggest leaf pulled and 4 inch blocks and besides bottoming out (frame to axle) he has no problems and never has

Did you cut out the bumpstop mount?
    DFWminis.com
    AIM s/n Dragginblazer

we trimmed his bump stops, but well we trimmed em a lil to much so on big bumps they compress to much and his axle hits the frame

Sounds like you need to add a leaf back in... Get new bump stops then do a bigger higher block...

Cutting the rear bumpstop down will do absolutely nothing but make the ride worse. The rubber does not hit the top of the axle tube. It hits a plate in front of the axle tube. That clanking you hear (and feel) is the axle tube hitting the bumpstop mount. Cut the whole mount off and get a small energy suspension bumpstop. Drill a hole directly above the axle tube and mount it there. It works and you will have more suspension travel for a very reasonable price.
    DFWminis.com
    AIM s/n Dragginblazer

ah thats what you get for having a 5 inch drop or a 5ish drop. Its not my truck, he likes it that way, its better than it was (he used to have tourch cut front coils) So the back is a lil bad but the fronts done right. So untill it breaks hes gonna leave it like that