Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to convert 97 Blazer to 98+

How to convert 97 Blazer to 98+

Hi, here is my first post on this cool board here :bigthumb:

I just purchased a 97 Blazer, and the front end is damaged. I picked the truck up for $1600, and I really like the looks of the 98-present headlights, etc.

I'm wondering what pieces are needed to do the conversion? I plan on running clear corner lenses, and a nice billet grill with a chevy emblem embedded if I can find one.

Other than the headlights, turn signal lenses, hood, and front bumper what will be needed for a nice clean conversion?

It's a 2WD, 4DR that I plan on only lowering, and adding a nice set of wheels to

One more question for you guru's, The truck has 113,000 miles on the 4.3, how long are these running if they are maintained correctly?

THX and nice board! :cool:
    96 GT
    T-56 6 speed, PI Toys, 4.30's, Huge Hood, Very Fast

97 Blazer
    2002 Blazer Front End, Billet Grill, Clear Corners

welcome to the site. here is a complete kit. i dont know if you can just go to a junkyard and get this stuff and put it right in or not.
    http://www.stylinconcepts.com/parts....m&PartID=14359
    4 Door Love

pics are here

The Baby Seal Says: drewdaddyblazin's Avatar
    Well my 96 has a 108 and it has had no problems at all... Well except one, oil leak. But i think thats from the people who had it before me neglected to change the oil. Im sure you wont have any problems with it breaking down in the next couple years. It really all depends on how it was driven and how you will drive it id say. If anything goes soon, my money would be on the transmission, the 4.3 wont blow anytime soon...
    (08:25:41 PM) AndySeals355: shes one of those jesus loves everyone types lol
    (08:25:42 PM) Zachary188: when she's ontop you'll have the cross necklace hitting you in the face!
    (08:25:49 PM) AndySeals355: LMFAO

the most important part is the 1998 and up radiator support. You will also need the same years headlight and turn signal pig tails. I have 118000 miles on mine and runs like a champ.

Fiberglass Fabrication EpicenterDesigns's Avatar
    Bradenton- FL........hammerin'-grindin'-sandin'-primin'
    the most important part is the 1998 and up radiator support
    Definatly need to get that.

Change the oil and filter every 3000 miles and replace your plugs and wires and it should run forever. Mine has 140,000+ and it still runs with the best of them.

The bitter after-taste of a poor quality job will last far longer than the sweetness of that cheap price!

Thx for all the input guys, I'll give Stylin Concepts a call and try to order the conversion kit, but as I said, I was wanting a billet style grill and clear turn signals which that kit doesn't come with

Kit includes:
    Radiator support
    Grille Shell
    Headlamps
    Turn Signals (OEM)
    Hardware and Wiring pigtails
    96 GT

97 Blazer

Okay, I'm going to order all the parts seperately so I'll be able to get the billet grille, and clear corners.

Where's the best buy to get these?

On the grille, I'm looking for something with the chevy emblem embedded in the grill still!

THX yet again
    96 GT

97 Blazer

Oh, and where can I find cheap aftermarket hoods/bumpers???!
    96 GT

97 Blazer

First of all...I'd get the radiator core support from your local salvage yard...$100 or so. There's really no excuse for buying that conversion kit from stylinconcepts.com way to expensive...not only could you buy the parts seperatly using ebay and salvage and sage a lot of money, but I've seen conversion kits for at LEAST $100 cheaper than that.

What kind of hood are you looking for? Are you just gonna replace with the stock look? If you're looking for a good bumper and then one you have is trashed...I'd look at getting a salvaged bumper and then putting an aftermarket bumper cover over it. That way you save some money and get a custom looking bumper/valance.

Just an idea
    =X=

Correct,

I will be ordering all of the parts seperately to save myself some money.

If aftermarket hoods are as cheap or slightly priced over what a new stock one would be, I'd rather give it a custom look.

Money is the issue here, so like I said if anyone can direct me to a nice cheap aftermarket hood/bumper cover area I would appreciate it

I wouldn't mind having a hood on the Blazer like what is on my Mustang

THX again:bigthumb:
    96 GT

97 Blazer

Well...what do you consider cheap? That's a pretty relative term. Do you want fiberglass or steel for your hood? Look on ebay there's always good stuff on there for a relativly cheap price...but it's still gonna be about $400 for a fiberglass hood.

=X=

bass is a addiction! addiction2bass's Avatar
    for the hoods i would buy one from the junk yard and put a scoop on it and bondo up the joints so it looks like it was made on it. thats what im gonna do! and my front grill i made myself with some mesh steel and chrome spray paint. i think it turned out realy good and definatly custom and CHEAP$$$$$. ran about 10 bucks for the steel and acouple bucks for the bumper spray paint.LOL
    and ive got 145,000 miles on my 96 4.3 4x4. and it runs great!!!! no problems what so ever. tho knowing my driving ill burn it out in acouple years like every other car ive had. but this time ill have the engine rebuilt and beefed up alittle to hold the abuse.....

seems like all my old cars have been drove by older people that drove slow and easy which built up carbon rings on the cylinders and with my high RPMs i broke out the oil rings on the pistons and smoked realy bad.LOL and the transmitions started sliping from 1st to 2nd.....LOL but the way i drive..... i think it lasted preaty good.LOL o ya and with my old 66impala it only had 126K miles and after replacing the 327 with a 400 i went thru more tires than anything. and i expect that with my 96jimmy now since i like spinen those tires alittle too much on the weekends
    1997 C1500 extended cab, 4/6drop, helper bags almost to low.
    2 15mtx 8500s behind my head.

My 4.3 in my '91 has 250,000miles and is still running strong. Except my mom wasted me in the '98 Jimmy the other day ago. I got nothing on those Vortec engines..lol

I'd say go to the junk yard, pick up all the stuff and grab a Jimmy hood instead of a Blazer hood. Just look better in my opinion. But if you want an aftermarket Ram Air hood..save up some cash. They look great and you can make them functional but you need the $$$ to buy one first.

Nate

PS: Is the hood on your GT actually a functional hood or is it just for show??

THX guys,

I'll see what I can find on Ebay, I just found some Clear Corners for 50 bucks, and I'm looking into the billet grill now

Looks like the hood might have to wait, but I haven't checked prices yet

The hood on my GT is functional in a way, It is not "Ram Air" I instead have a fenderwell Cold air kit

In the rear of the hood are heat extractors which are functional and after turning the car off, you can see heat billowing out

To turn the hood into a functional ram air would just decrease horsepower from the backrouting of the tubing!
    96 GT

97 Blazer

My S-10 fleet is gone... s10blazed's Avatar
    98+ bumper and air dam on a 96. I put a 97 airdam back on it since this pic (busted the newer one) and it fits kinda funny. The holes need re-drilled.