Thread: '89 4.3 V6, fuel problems, I think... help!

'89 4.3 V6, fuel problems, I think... help!

S-10 TBI, anybody know anything about them?

I have an S10 4x4 with a 4.3 TBI V6 motor in it. Yesterday I spent about 3 hours replacing the water pump, then tracking down and fixing small oil leaks. I have two problems left with the truck until its in tip top shape...

the heater core needs to be replaced (doing that today). I have the repair manual for the truck, so it should be easy to follow those instructions. The core is located behind the glove box area, so its not to bad to get to.

My main question though, is about the TBI. About 3 weeks ago, my truck started "hesitating" occasionally when trying to accelerate. This mainly happens when I am sitting at a stop sign, then go to take off, it feels like its having a VERY hard time getting going, then all of the sudden the power starts to kick in and I start moving like I shoud. I explained the symptoms to my dad and he said "pick up a rebuilt carburater and throw that on there, that will fix it" then I told him its a TBI fuel injected V6. So his idea went out the window. Do any of you mechanically inclined people have some insight about this problem? It doesnt happen all the time, but enough to be a problem. I think its a problem with the motor not going the fuel it needs when it needs it.

Imagine pulling out into traffic only to have your truck barely move... leaving you wide open to a T-bone wreck! Not a good situation! I want to get this thing fixed, hopefully today.

Do I need to replace the throttle body? It acts like the motor isnt getting fuel for some reason....

help. :)
    www.sirrommotorsports.com
    1995 3000GT VR4
    1989 S-10 4x4 Ext Cab (4.3)
    2003 Polaris Scrambler 4x4

Banned
    Well, depending on how badly it does it, it could be spark plug wires. At night, turn your AC on, and turn your wheel so you draw alot of power from your engine. Have a buddy look under the hood at the same time, if you hear a clicking noise, or see any kind of spark, its your wires. Try that, its free.

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

I think just for the sake of doing it, I am going to go buy new wirea and plugs. I just bought a new air filter not to long ago, so i might as well do a complete tune up. I dont know if that will fix this problem or not. Its worth a try, and i know those plugs and wires are old. I wouldnt be surpised if the plugs where kinda fowled too.

I dont have A/C, so I cant use that method. But I'll put a good load on the engine and see what it does.
    1995 3000GT VR4

Hey man..I used to have a hesitation in my 89 jimmy 4.3 TBI when i first got it...I did a complete full tune up on it..and the thing that helped the most was when i put the new fuel filter on...if that doesnt help..ive got a TBI unit complete with injectors over here that im gonna clean up and rebuild ill sell really cheap

Thomas
    94 standard cab longbed, bagged front/back,2b6's, 2b7's, 2 viair 450's on a 12 gallon, all gc extreme 250 valves,sd cups ,notches, and rear bag brackets. SSgen 2 bumper, ss mirrors, sunroof.

Altered Atmospheres founder. s series only club
    Longbed Love

New water pump to solve over heating problem, get rid of anoying sound, and make interior heater work again.... 19.99

New inline fuel pump to allow fuel to actually REACH the engine from the gas tank.... 5.95 (no more hesitation, YAY!)

A truck that is now 100% operational and has ZERO problems... PRICELESS. :D

MY TRUCK IS PUUUUUUURRRFEEECT NOW! Makes me rethink my previous decision to sell it. :)

Thanks all.
    1995 3000GT VR4