Thread: '54 Chevy manual transmission question

'54 Chevy manual transmission question

What kind of bellhousing do the old ( i have a 54) manual transmission that have the shifter on the column? It was bolted up to an inline 6 motor. Will these old transmissions bolt up to a small block chevy?

Beer,Its whats for dinner Paraquat's Avatar
    Is that an apache? 'Cause I think those are cool as all hell.
    Buy a 350 with a 700r4 already?
    ahh, I got nothing useful to say.

--Steve
    I hate my truck.

its a 54 chevy 210 del ray. I have a th350 and 700r4 sitting in my garage...but i want a stick cuz autos arent as fun to drive in my opinion.

Use a rachet shifter then on an out..heheh And no you wont be able to use that tranny with the 350 cuz you wouldn't last long. I believe trannies after '62 will work but I forget. I've been out of the classic scene for a year now, so it's all fading away.

Get a 5spd out of a Camaro or 4x4 S10, they'll work, or just buy a new manual tranny.

Nate
    Last edited by Audiodogg; 06-01-2003 at 11:17 PM.

well i already have the working transmission so i didnt want to buy a new one

The 54 had a cast iron bellhousing on the original 6 cyl engine and it will bolt up to a small block. The original 3 speed will work behind a small block but plan on driving like a grandma if you want it to last very long. 1st gear is non-syncro like a 1 ton truck 4 speed.

You can replace the tranny with a Muncie full syncro 3 speed from a late 60's to mid 70's 1/2 ton pickup. They usually sell for about $50-75. They're close to a bolt-in, will work with the column shift and will hold up behind a strong V8
    Originally posted by Blazin Low:
    In 1972 a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire Tony Low
    :D

how strong a v8?

They came stock behind 300HP 350's and are nearly as strong as a Muncie 4 speed. Anything can be broken but they'll take plenty of abuse.

I've got a good one I'd sell for $50 if you're close enough to Oregon to pick it up.
    In 1972 a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire Tony Low

im not or id take u up on it

so basically the old inline 6s have the same 90 degree bolt pattern as the small blocks?

Originally posted by cpbaur
    so basically the old inline 6s have the same 90 degree bolt pattern as the small blocks?

YEP