Thread: Setting Amplifier Gains Made Easy-- No O-Scope Needed!

Dark Side Master LayinBodyBlazer's Avatar

Setting Amplifier Gains Made Easy-- No O-Scope Needed!

I figured I would contribute this small topic to the info available. The following method is the best and most widely used method of setting gains without having access to an oscillo-scope.

This can be used for subwoofer amps and mid/high amps. What I have below is for subwoofer amps. You can modify to work with mid/high amps as needed.

1. First, unplug the RCAs to the amp so you can find your max undistorted volume level, with out possibility of the subs affecting this procedure.

2. Set the BASS & TREBLE levels on your headunit to their "flat" settings, most headunits will use 0 as the flat setting. If you have a bass boost on the headunit, turn that off or to its lowest setting.

3. Put in material that you are very familiar with and can detect distortion on easily.

4. Raise the volume of the HU till your speakers begin to distort. Now, back the volume down a bit notch by notch till the distortion disappears. This is your "Maximum No-Distortion Volume".

5. Power down and reconnect the RCA jacks to the subwoofer amp. Set the low pass crossover to around 85-95 for a decent setting. Turn the gain down to 0. (If you have a bass boost such as RF's PUNCH BASS, or something similar, you need to max this setting out).

6. Power up and turn the volume to your "MNDV" level. Now, begin to raise the gain of the amp till your subwoofers begin to distort. Once again, back down till distortion stops. This is the max gain setting for your system. Mark it and remember it.

If you have a bass boost setting and had it maxed like I told you, now you can turn it up or down with out fear of clipping the amp.

You can also begin to adjust appropriate settings on the head unit for bass and sub level and what not.

Team Rockford Fosgate Member
    My Street Source Mag Page
    My MySpace Page

zapcocruiser
    For # 3 you should use a REAL, WELL RECORDED CD.. NO MP3 CONVERSIONS AND NOTHING YOU DOWNLOADED.

shouldn't the recording also have been recorded at a 0dB level for this also.

Dark Side Master LayinBodyBlazer's Avatar
    ideally yes, but it really isnt that necessary

Team Rockford Fosgate Member
    My Street Source Mag Page
    My MySpace Page