Thread: 1990 4.3 mods

1990 4.3 mods

I rolled my 84 jimmy with a 2.8 and I just bought a 90 with a 4.3 on the weekend and I was wondering what kind of mods to do to the motor to start off with and what kind of cost I am looking at. and no, I dont want a v8. Any help would be good. thanks.

not goin anywhere fast bigbad2.8's Avatar
    You could do an overhaul and build it right, but cheaper/easier stuff is intake and exhast. im sure theres other little things, like a chip, K&N, or stuff like that, too.

I know its kinda off subject, but howd ya roll it?
    My rides:
    85 s10 blazer 4x4 (sold :( )
    74 f100 4x4 shortbox w/ 390 and 35" mudders
    96 polaris indy 440

doing 100km/h on a wet road with bald tires and trying to pass on a double yellow line. Lost control and rolled it into a ditch full of water. The only thing I have salvaged off it is my lowering kit. I still dont have my licence for that one. I get it back in a month. Dont drink and drive kiddies!

Are headers a viable option on the 4.3? Does a k$n actually make a noticeable difference? Also does a flowmaster sound ok on the 4.3 or is it not worth it?

its the one in my avatar that is written off.

Headers ( from what I've heard ) are a real bitch to put in on a 4.3, that's what I"m being told at the local muffler shops ( lazy asses ).... The K&N does make a nice difference.... The flowmaster on my truck sounds nice.... I would say to get a dual output flowmaster.... Mines a single outlet and I think w/ the dual outlet it would sound even nicer.... I dont know if being a 4X4 makes any difference w/ the headers by the way.... Mine is a 90 4.3 4X4, so there could be more stuff under the truck to get in the way, I dunno for sure though.... o and a little advice, the 4.3 isnt your old 2.8, keep the wheels on the ground bud.... lol.... glad to hear your are ok.... good luck w/ the 4.3
    Drive fast? Why wait?

Drive it like you own it!!!!

Thanks for the advice. Edlebrock makes headers specifically for a 4.3 2wd that is lowered so I am assuming they are made for the application to fit. I will try and not roll this one! its actually nice. hehehe. what series is your flowy? and how hard was the k&n to install? thanks again.

one more thing....does anyone have a throttle body spacer? if so, do they make a noticeable difference? and which brand is the best?

DrKnyte
    Ooh, sorry to hear about your truck, but nice upgrade.

Here is what I have done to my 89 blazer with the 4.3.
    Made it very Peppy
    Hypertech chip, Throttle body spacer, K&N filter, after cat high flow exhaust.
    I have 215,000 original miles on the truck and still get 26 miles to the gallon on the highway.

Here is what you can do and I am in the process of doing it now:

Performer cam from edelbrock, Performer intake, Tubular exhaust headers, New rocker roller arms, Matched injectors in new throttle body, MSD ignition system. That is the major pieces but I have a list of more to make it work right together.

vortech heads, and im thinking afte you get the engine done put a nice shift kit in the tranny and 3.73 posi gears in the rear
    Originally posted by bigjsp
    :rolleyes:

Ba - bup - pa pa da dang ga dang dang yi dip ti ta dip - blue moon

shoo be do wop!

Just picture your grandparents "bumping uglies" in the back seat of a 57 chevy

i just relace the filter so the K&N install was not hard at all.... the flowmaster is supposed to b a 40 series but i think the shop i got it from dicked me over but i could b wrong
    Drive fast? Why wait?

Drive it like you own it!!!!

thanks for the advice everyone!!!

Hey man..which road did you roll it on? Too bad about it. So what's the new one look like?

Nate