Thread: Pricing

Pricing

Im VERY interested in doing a v8 conversion for my s10...but im kind of intimidated by prices.
    how much would i need to do it, and do it right?
    id keep the stock transmission for now...but down the road id drop a TH700 in there.
    just a standard SB 350...and probably some performance accessories..
    and i DO want to keep my AC
    so what could i do about that?

My S-10 fleet is gone... s10blazed's Avatar

Good question...

I plan to do the same thing eventually. I am learning how to fix motors slowly with a 305 I have. I know I will be spending more to convert mine. I have a 2.8 (which is in need of totally different mounts) and it has a different tranny. Also my truck is 4 wheel drive and that requires a special oil pan. I know you need a special radiator and fan for the conversion and Summit Racing now sells these. You also need custom headers, but I believe Summit also has these now too. If you have a 2wd with a 4.3, the conversion work is minimal. I can look up the prices for the parts in my Summit catalog if you want, but its MIA at the moment. I have been doin research for awhile on this with people who have done it.. and I still dont have a definite cost from anyone!

Hope this helped at least a little.....

Cool Prices Not that Bad.....

This Past summer I Built a Fast Motor for my Blazer and it wasn't too expensive. I beleive after everything is said and done, starting from scratch, I built a 400hp 355 SB for $2600. I ordered the newer vortec heads and intake manifold that comes with all the upper gaskets for $800 shipped to me. I bought a 98 block with the factory roller setup for $125. I had him bore it .030. I also bought a set of flat top pistons from him and had him balance the whole motor. I also had him put in tougher rod bolts that would withstand N.O.S. He balanced the whole motor and did all that work for $1013. That price also included all the bearings and plugs and all that. I also had to buy juat a lot of all the odds and ends you need to putting a motor together. So, in the end I figured to build up a motor hit my pocket book $2,600. I know you can go on ebay and usually find the v8 conversion kit for like $50-75....which basically is the motor mounts and all that. Dropping it in wasn't a thing at all. I would say it would be easier to put the 350 in that it would to replace a 2.8 . And in the end it pays off.... I haven't been beat yet, and one of the best victories was a 2002 SVO Cobra Mustang....smoked his ass! Next thing is to get my N.O.S system and tune that up! Here is a pic of my Blazer before I primed it yellow! Happy Blazin'!
    Blazin' 24 -355-

Creative Genius

Lightbulb Is this a good deal?

:confused: Now, I found a place nearby that is selling rebuild SB 350's for $1400 (cdn.) so that's roughly... $1000 american. I'd have to pay for the install since I'm not really mechanically inclined, and I suppose my mechanic would charge me for numerous other parts to make this thing fit. Total cost to put everything in is undetermined, but the pricing on the engine looks good to me. Do you think the same? :confused:

YES
    '92 S-10
    Vortec 4.3L CPI engine
    MSD ignition control unit
    ACCEL wires & components
    BLAZIN it down the streets of Bellmore

MTX/Rockford Fosgate system
    280 watts of sub-pumpin power
    400 watts rippin those highs and mids
    all faced by a Pineer DEHP4100

Creative Genius
    There is a slight problem however.... I won't be able to install the 350 for atleast a couple months, and the sale on these engines ends in a couple weeks, I have no where to store the engine, but I would really have to search hard to find a place to keep it. Is this that good of a deal that I should buy it, then maybe rent a $50 storage shed and keep it in there for a while???

Slow Ride

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I'd say for just a V-8 swap no other goodies except for the motor - ignition - intake - carb - headers - exhaust - motor mounts - radiator will be about 3000 to 3500.

As for keeping the A/C try to find the magnesium brackets off the front of a pre-vortec 4.3 or full size truck 305/350 they bolt right to the motor. The brackets should be cheap and get the power steering pump with the drivers side bracket. Heavier motor harder to steer. Also get the pulleys you can then have the serpentine setup. The very best would be to get all of the accesories off of the donor. A junk yard will probably get about $100 for the setup.

You will also need a few weekends and some friends to help.

The most important tool for doing a V-8 swap is a really big sledge hammer for the firewall and floor.

Good Luck! I've been working on mine for over 2 years and I still am not done.

Practice retraint. The old addage "If I'm going to do it I might as well do it right." Can be very expensive and time comsuming.

so again Good Luck.

Creative Genius
    The hell with doing it myself, I know I'll fukk it up. That's why I'm gonna get my mechanic/older brother to do it... heh... sucker.