Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: K&N hack job

Beer,Its whats for dinner Paraquat's Avatar

K&N hack job

Can I take a K&N cone filter, a pipe from a hardware store, and clamp them together and stuff it into my current air flow unit?
    Will the sensor still work, or will i need a different sensor?
    I have a 4.3 v6 vortec, so if I ripped out the air filter box, i'd have a lot of room. I just wanted to know if this is do-able, or if i'd end up burning more gas? or what?
    Been attempted?
    Just buy the kit?

--Steve
    I hate my truck.

Hating the stupid

Question I'm sittin' in the same truck

I contacted K&N about an FIPK for my '94 Blazer, well about a week later I get an e-mail respones from their tech department saying something to the effect of.

YOU ARE SCREWED! we make no kit for your car, but hey you can always just toss in our filter and hope that does you good enough.

So I got to thinking about how to make it a cool air intake tube for my truck, what I thought up was to use a chunk of the stock intake tube, but attach a piece of pipe that would get the filter to hang down at the correct angle into the engine compartment.

A friend of mine did this on an Subaru 2.5 RS and he says it works okay, but still not as good as a kit, but he used plastic plumbers pipe.
    Yea I know sorry about bringing an import here.

so on with things. I still haven't come up with a solution I really like or think will work all that well. But I am going to look around some more, and see if I can find some kind of pipe similar to that used in the K&N FIPK's for the newer cars or possibly like the metal ones used on some other kits, but I think as long as you use a material that won't heat up a lot or too quickly, and keep it as straight as possible you'll have a good system, but then again I could be wrong. Anyone got any input?

you're the only one who responded to my post
    this other kid took it over
    but we got it all going on

http://www.blazinlow.com/forum/showt...6&goto=newpost

I was going to use an aluminum pipe because Its lightweight and I need a bend, but only like 6 inches length so im not worried about it heating up
    if it does, i used some duct crap

--Steve
    I hate my truck.

Hating the stupid

Heat Issues?

I dunno man I still think you may have heat issues with duct tape on it. if you are gonna wrap it try header heat wrap then coat it in something else that'll make it look better, I think I'm going with a plastic tube.

My S-10 fleet is gone... s10blazed's Avatar
    Volant makes a cold air intake for 4.3 Vortec. There was a simple tech article on it in the recent MiniTruckin mag. Here is a link to the article . I don't know if thats exactly what you are looking for but it got me searching for different products, not just the K&N.

Hating the stupid

Thanx S-10Blazed

Alright but does that still have the airbox? cause I Was hoping to do a cone setup, but as long as I get some decent performance compared to the standard intake that'd be tight.

Hating the stupid

can you send the link?

hey can you post the link to the volant website?
    thanx again

The Volant setup has its own airbox. The side facing the front of the truck is totally open and there is a cone inside of the box. It's similar to the stock one except it has a HUGE opening instead of the little hole. It also has the cone filter instead of the flat thing in the stock setup.

Well I didn't see your second post until now. Here is the link: Volant Performance

not duct tape
    that duct stuff they put behind dryers

--Steve
    I hate my truck.

Exclamation THe expert...........blueskyjack

You need to ask info from blueskyjack on this one. He has the FIPK installed on his '94 CPI Blazer. I've bee waiting for him to post pics of it for a year. Post some pics Blue!!!! I'm wanting to do the same thing. The drop-in is fine and dandy, but I know I'd get alot more ponies fron a cone system.:bigthumb:

i got a 95 with cpi and all that i did was take out the box and keep the stock tubbin and add a universal k&n filter and ducktape where the condersor part is on the bottom of the tube. i built a cold air box and it helped out alot for only about 60 bucks for everything. they make a k&n kit for the cpi, i saw one at jcwhitney for only 210 with 10% off. i'd try makin on first

that was the whole plan
    then soem other kid did it, and I did some research and foudn the filter
    theres a link to his post, where I followed up this post on his thread
    go up and click, my english speak not good too now right
    long live beer

--Steve
    I hate my truck.

yeah, you can get some alumium pipe, it would take two sections to resemble the k&n and to get it where the air will get to it better. you can go to your local speed shop and buy them and get the rubber peice and the straps to go with them and just drill a hole for the intake sensor and mover it right behind the filter for a cooler reading.

Owner/Pimp of "Green Ho"

Re: THe expert...........blueskyjack

Originally posted by tommet
    You need to ask info from blueskyjack on this one. He has the FIPK installed on his '94 CPI Blazer. I've bee waiting for him to post pics of it for a year. Post some pics Blue!!!! I'm wanting to do the same thing. The drop-in is fine and dandy, but I know I'd get alot more ponies fron a cone system.:bigthumb:
    Sorry I'm really slack and I don't have a digital cam. Paraquat if you have the CPI engine in your '94 you can use the K&N FIPK that was made for the '94-95 CPI S-10 and Sonoma pickups. Everything fits except the heatshield because the pickups changed body style in '94. You can use their heatshield if you modify by flatten it out from the rear bend that attaches to the ABS to the front and then cut an inch or so off the front and mount to the sheet metal next to the radiator.
    '94 Jimmy, 4.3 CPI, CFM Stage III heads, competition valve job, Ferrea stainless valves, Comp 1.52 rollers, ARP studs, K&N FIPK & CAI, Stage II chip, 160 stat, #60 electric fan, UD crank pulley, Zexel w/3.42, B&M Shift+, Dynomax SS UltraFlo catback, Jacobs ignition w/UltraCoil & 8mm Taylor Spiro-Pro, #1 RapidFires