Thread: Oil Filters?

Oil Filters?

I never could acutually find the one I was supposed to use with my ZZ4. So, I ended up just using the one that was for my 81 c-10 truck. It was the same filter for the 305 2 and 4 barrel, and for the 350 4 and 4 barrel motors. I think its the same one listed for most chevy 350's.

When I pulled the motor out of my buddies Grand Prix(newer chevy motor, 350 w/1 peice rms just like my zz4), I was way smaller than the one on my zz4.

What is the difference between 2 oil filters. I sat there last night checking them out. Just regular fram filters. 2 with different numbers, but both looked exactly the same.

Any ideas? Should I be using a different one for my motor?
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley
    Go before show any day of the week.

fram PH13 or PH25. The 13 is the longer one and is the best to use if the length doesn't interfere. also there is a PH5 which is for later models (88 and up), it is a shorter one with anti drain back.
    Last edited by billp; 06-24-2003 at 01:39 PM.
    84 xCab S-15. No longer ugly but still quick

Re: Oil Filters?

Originally posted by ZZ4Blazer
    I never could acutually find the one I was supposed to use with my ZZ4. So, I ended up just using the one that was for my 81 c-10 truck. It was the same filter for the 305 2 and 4 barrel, and for the 350 4 and 4 barrel motors. I think its the same one listed for most chevy 350's.

When I pulled the motor out of my buddies Grand Prix(newer chevy motor, 350 w/1 peice rms just like my zz4), It was way smaller than the one on my zz4.

What is the difference between 2 oil filters. I sat there last night checking them out. Just regular fram filters. 2 with different numbers, but both looked exactly the same.

Any ideas? Should I be using a different one for my motor?
    Jim...the only thing you have to worry about is that the oil filter seals on oil filter boss. The boss is the part of the block were the filter seal touchs the block. The 81 C-10 has the larger boss. There are two different size filters that will fit that motor. The only difference is the amount of oil the filter will hold. The outer diameter is the same, but the length is different like two inchs. The longer filter is used on trucks and the shorter filter is used on cars. My 92 full size truck(4x4) uses the AC-DELCO PF52 or FRAM PH3980 which is a small filter that only holds 1/2 quart of oil. The only difference in most filters are the filter that is inside the oil filter casing. If you got the filter to seal on your ZZ4, I would not worry about it. BTW, is the length and outer diameter(OD) of the oil filter the same on the ZZ4 and the grand prix motor? The newer grand prix motor might have a filter from a newer motor. Hope I've helped you out...Cliff

yenko, does the zz4 and late model trucks take that skinny filter 52 or 3980. if it does my mistake.
    84 xCab S-15. No longer ugly but still quick

I've been using the fram TG13 (tough guard) oil filter. Most that had the Ph13 listed, they also had the PH5 too. They were out of the 13's, so I picked up a TG5.

I was curious if there really was a difference between the 2.

The grand prix was an 84. My buddy put a newer 350 in it. It was a TBI motor that he had made to carb. I think it was just shorter.

I've got room in mine, aftually the bigger the better for my blazer. The slave cylinder is right there. If I had a shorter one, I don't know if I could get to it.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear

Originally posted by billp
    yenko, does the zz4 and late model trucks take that skinny filter 52 or 3980. if it does my mistake.
    Bill...your right. But the ZZ4 block takes FRAM PH5 which is the fat long oil filter. Its the one on the right in the picture. The FRAM PH5 is a truck oil filter. That filter is used from 69-87. The AC-DELCO PF52 or FRAM PH3980 is used from 88- up(truck or car). The ZZ4 can also use the FRAM PH30 which is a fat short oil filter which is used on cars(but will be hard to get to if using a manual transmission). But the best oil filter to use is the fat long oil filter like the FRAM PH5(like ZZ4Blazer said, the bigger the better).

81 C10 1 qt oil filter http://www3.autozone.com/servlet/UiB...TER&PageSync=7

Regardless of the filter in the oil filter case. GM has narrowed it down to three oil filters on there small block chevy motors .
    1. short and fat= car oil filter(69-87)
    2. long and fat= truck oil filter(69-87)
    3. short and skinny= truck and car oil filter(88 and up)(one in the picture on the right)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jim...does your oil filter boss look like this one in the picture?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Slow Ride
    I use Fram HP4 filters on the Blazer. had problems with the sides of the filters popping or the seals leaking. Hot oil on headers = fire!!!!

Im pretty sure thats what my filter boss looks like. Its been a good while since I've changed my oil. Thats missing the "thing" in the center though right? The peice that the filter screws on to?

I didn't get around to changing it today. I'll do it later on after I get up this afternoon. I guess I'll stick with the PH5, or the TG5.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear